Spokesman: Bin Laden's wife said she didn't leave compound for five years
Pakistani policemen guard the compound in Abbottabad where al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden was killed.
May 5th, 2011

Spokesman: Bin Laden's wife said she didn't leave compound for five years

[Updated at 1:07 p.m.] For years there has been speculation about the health of Osama bin Laden. A US official says at this point there is no information to suggest there was medical equipment, such as a dialysis machine, at the compound.

The official says no autopsy was done on bin Laden.

[Updated at 12:38 p.m.] Osama bin Laden's wife has told interrogators she didn't venture outside the walled compound where the al Qaeda leader was killed for five years, a Pakistani military spokesman said Thursday.

The wife, who was wounded in the raid, said she lived in the compound in Abbottabad with eight of bin Laden's children and five others from another family, Maj. Gen. Athar Abbas told CNN. All of them have been in Pakistani custody since the pre-dawn U.S. commando raid that killed bin Laden and will be returned to their country of origin, Abbas said.

Abbas said he wasn't sure from her questioning how long bin Laden had lived there himself or whether he had ventured outside.

[Updated at 10:54 a.m.] Pakistan has ordered U.S. military personnel on its territory drawn down to the "minimum essential" level in the wake of the assault that killed bin Laden deep within Pakistan early Monday, a military statement announced.

While commanders defended the powerful Inter-Services Intelligence agency's efforts in attacking al Qaeda leaders, a military statement said there had been "shortcomings in developing intelligence on the presence of Osama bin Laden in Pakistan." The statement said an investigation will be launched "into the circumstances that led to this situation."

But the army chief of staff, Gen. Ashfaq Parvez Kayani, "made it very clear that any similar action, violating the sovereignty of Pakistan, will warrant a review on the level of military/intelligence cooperation with the United States," the statement said.

Post by:
Filed under: National security • Osama bin Laden • Pakistan • Terrorism • U.S.
  1. nur amabo nur

Investigations, reviews and the upcoming war against Pakistan will cost far more than a trial for obl would have. But hey we can afford it ! After all everyone in the US has more work and money than they know what to do with. Food is abundant, I mean you can't even walk down the street without tripping over a dozen bags full of fresh groceries. We have an incredible government that listens to us and acts immediately to resolve all our problems. Not 1 single person in the US has the need or desire to accept a government hand out. All this greatness that we get for free, I'm sure we can afford another war. We're so great !

May 5, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Weitko

@Outsider -> go get'em boys! That person (Tarek Hamzi) is most likely a snot nose punk kid, who deserves to have the daylights scared out of him. Keep us posted 😉

May 5, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  3. osama been hidin

how about 1.. the govt lies to us all the time 2.. the wtc was brought down by airliners and a controlled demolition 3.. george bush is just as much of a terrorist as osama was/is and 3.. people need to do their own research and look at facts, not become sheep who automatically believe the USA is the big bad cowboy with liberty and justice for the elite.. oh and 4.. pakistan is only a bomb away from the stone age anyway, why not send the purple skinned sneaky little fuks back to their caves.. disinformation is easy to digest when your hungry for anything

May 5, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  4. banasy

Oh, goody, the troll stole another name. Yay.

May 5, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  5. mfranklin

Why in the world are u talking about sleeping with his balls? are u insane??? a man is dead, terrorist or not he is dead, have some decency.... i personally do not think they killed the right guy, if they did they would release the photos to prove it, especially with all the hype about his b.c. they are going to release his wife? this war is far from won!

May 5, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Pishoo

@mfranklin
    I don't think they killed anyone! Those pics of the other guys look staged and or photoshopped.. I honestly think this is another conspiracy to invade another country.. Probably Pakistan!
    Ps.. Not a troll.. New to responding to these blogs if I stole anyones name oops..

May 5, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  7. mfranklin

I have not seen any photos, i have no desire to celebrate a human beings death. i am very greatful to the men and women who are abroad and serving our country, but i do not believe in the war and i will not enjoy looking at pictures of anyone dead. yes, he attacked our country, or at least took credit for it, but he was still a son, brother, husband, father and friend to someone. just my opinion

May 5, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joey

I'm not grateful for any cold blooded murder. Murder is always wrong especially when these thugs could have taken this guy prisoner. But then again,I suspect that they had a reason for this and it's not a good one!

May 5, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy

Trolls AND conspiracies! What fun!

And I can make up my own mind. Just because people have varying opinions do *not* make them "sheeple". I detest that word! Boooo the baaaaaah!

May 5, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Frank

@mfranklin. Why do you care if I like to sleep with Osamas balls? Don't you have decency to respect my taste for human big balls? If you want to borrow them just let me know..Ok?

May 5, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  10. banasy

Welcome, Pishoo. There are all kinds here, which you'll see after a while! 😉

Ps. Cool name.

May 5, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Pishoo

No I agree, I am Muslim we don't celebrate anyones death, but with things not adding up or making sense you have to check into it.. Maybe not look at the pics if you don't want too. But you know what I mean this doesn't add up!

May 5, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Pishoo

@Banasay
    Thanks, means kitty lol! I see there are some crazies.

May 5, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  13. banasy

I am having a debate with a good friend on this very issue. It is my opinion that the families of ObL's victims have every right to know every detail and be shown all. Everyone else, not so much.

May 5, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Pishoo

Banasy*

May 5, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  15. banasy

@Pishoo:

I get bananas all the time...no worries! 😉 and yes, there are a...ahem...wide variety of characters here!

May 5, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |