Spokesman: Bin Laden's wife said she didn't leave compound for five years
Pakistani policemen guard the compound in Abbottabad where al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden was killed.
May 5th, 2011

Spokesman: Bin Laden's wife said she didn't leave compound for five years

[Updated at 1:07 p.m.] For years there has been speculation about the health of Osama bin Laden. A US official says at this point there is no information to suggest there was medical equipment, such as a dialysis machine, at the compound.

The official says no autopsy was done on bin Laden.

[Updated at 12:38 p.m.] Osama bin Laden's wife has told interrogators she didn't venture outside the walled compound where the al Qaeda leader was killed for five years, a Pakistani military spokesman said Thursday.

The wife, who was wounded in the raid, said she lived in the compound in Abbottabad with eight of bin Laden's children and five others from another family, Maj. Gen. Athar Abbas told CNN. All of them have been in Pakistani custody since the pre-dawn U.S. commando raid that killed bin Laden and will be returned to their country of origin, Abbas said.

Abbas said he wasn't sure from her questioning how long bin Laden had lived there himself or whether he had ventured outside.

[Updated at 10:54 a.m.] Pakistan has ordered U.S. military personnel on its territory drawn down to the "minimum essential" level in the wake of the assault that killed bin Laden deep within Pakistan early Monday, a military statement announced.

While commanders defended the powerful Inter-Services Intelligence agency's efforts in attacking al Qaeda leaders, a military statement said there had been "shortcomings in developing intelligence on the presence of Osama bin Laden in Pakistan." The statement said an investigation will be launched "into the circumstances that led to this situation."

But the army chief of staff, Gen. Ashfaq Parvez Kayani, "made it very clear that any similar action, violating the sovereignty of Pakistan, will warrant a review on the level of military/intelligence cooperation with the United States," the statement said.

Post by:
Filed under: National security • Osama bin Laden • Pakistan • Terrorism • U.S.
  1. Pishoo

What about the retarded soldiers that decided to kill innocent Afghan people.. Take body parts as trophies.. I don't think they should be hiding in a military prison doing their sentence.. I think they should be put right in the smack dab middle of Afghanistan. But hey everyone has their own opinions on things. 🙂

May 5, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  2. cinnamonape

I think even if a photograph was released the doubters would not be satisfied. They would assert that it was photoshopped, or a "double"...even though the wound would likely have such peri-mortem and post-mortem affects that it might distort the face somewhat. Can't imagine a wound that blew off part of his skull would provide a clearly recognizable image that would satisfy most critics.

For me the fact that the DNA confirms that it was him, and that AQ spent millions to sequester someone for 5 years with bin Laden's wives and children is enough. Would they do this for a "double"? Would bin Laden allow a double to take over his family? Would they make sure that no electronic devices would be in the facility and finance two couriers...known to be trusted by bin Laden...to stay with some "double" who had no influence on the operations of the group? It's an absurd notion.

Furthermore the wives and children confirm the death, and the Seals gathered a huge trove of intelligence material.

All of this indicates they got bin Laden...not someone else.

May 5, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • habberdash

I do think they got bin Laden, but I can imagine a scenario where it was faked. Maybe bin Laden was living in the compound but was out at the time of the raid. The US gov't knows what a huge embarrassment it'll be if the world finds out the mission failed, so they take some other body, don't release a death photo, and lie about DNA results (why don't they release those to the public?)

May 5, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat2u

@habberdash--– If he is still alive, I can gaurantee he will show up with proof of current events in hand.

May 5, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • tomas

I have not heard, why they could not publicize a photo or two of the scenes before he was killed. If the White house was watching were they just seeing the outside drams only? otherwise they can still show an inside view with Osama and wife

May 6, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Pishoo

Crashed on the way in .. The way out.. Soon they will say "What helicopter?" Ha!

May 5, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Pishoo

Not like us? As in they are pulling the racial card?

May 5, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  5. cregis

No more aid for Pakistan. Pakistan is India's problem.

May 5, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tim

Pakistan is global problem. It sheltered America's No. 1 enemy and shelters India's No.1 as well.

May 7, 2011 at 6:20 am | Report abuse |
  6. Pishoo

@excitizen
    The media is still trying to brainwash you..

May 5, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  7. mfranklin

Thanks, i knew i wasnt the only person who believes a human is a human no matter how "bad" or "evil" they are. i do feel bad for his family. im not saying he was innocent, but to shoot someone who did not have a weapon is just not right. the family deserves a body to do a proper burial for them and their religion

May 5, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • habberdash

if bin Laden felt that way, 9/11 would have never happened. Why does he deserve a courtesy that he personally denied to thousands of American families 10 years ago?

May 5, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy

Again, not to put too fine a point on it, but it is still early, yet. If one disbelieves one aspect of the story, then doesn't it follow that *all* aspects of the story be disbelieved, also: ie: he was unarmed? Pick and choose, anyone? Sure, question things, but why believe only THAT aspect of the story?

As for ObL's victim toll: it was 3,000 or so in the *US*. His worldwide victim toll is much, much higher.

And war has many casualties. America is not the only one to have contributed to the death tolls of war.

And Frank: wha????

May 5, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  9. jeansasson

You know, both Omar Bin Laden and Najwa Bin Laden, Osama's first wife and 4th born son told the world in 2009 in the book GROWING UP BIN LADEN that Osama was NEVER on dialysis. For some reason, that rumor grew even more popular even after the people who knew him best told the facts of his health. At last that wild rumor can be laid to rest. No dialysis machine means NO DIALYSIS. HERE'S the FACTS about Osama's health: According to Najwa and Omar, Osama had two bouts of kidney stones. Once it was so bad that they had to get a doctor for him. He had a persistent cough from being gassed once by the Russians when he was fighting in Afghanistan. He suffered from the after effects of having malaria. He was blind in one eye caused by an accident in his teenage years. The most seriious health issue was caused by a terrible fall off one of his son's horses when the family lived in Khandahar. He suffered broken ribs and had to remain in bed for a long time. The family had to get a doctor from Pakistan to cross the border to tend to Osama. That's it! I'm sorry there was not an autopsy so all these false rumors can be put to rest. Interestingly enough, although there have been naysayers, I have found that everything told to me by Najwa and by Omar have found to be true. I never doubted them once - neither one of them lie and I would bet my life on their honesty. If I only had one thing to say about them regarding the writing of their story, and that is that they were so very careful to never embellish, and to make sure I had the stories just right. IF I misunderstood, once they read the material, they had me to change it on the spot. I firmly believe that few knew Osama better than Najwa and Omar. I don't believe that any of the other wives cared about Osama as much as Najwa cared, and it is understandable - she knew her cousin from the day she was born. The couple had a love marriage. And Omar? Although he always said he did not agree with violence, he was always quick to say that he loved his father, because Osama WAS his father. Although I'm sure the other children loved their father, Najwa told me that of all her children, she believed that Omar loved his father best, the child that suffered most when Osama was away. That is why it was so extraordinary that Omar brought his disagreements out in the open with his father, shocking everyone around them, particularly those hardened "fighters" surrounding Osama. That is why it is so admirable (to me) that Omar left his father's side and instead focused on promoting peace in our world. Anyhow, just setting the record straight on a few false reportings from other media outlets.

May 5, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  10. CUTTHEMOFF

The US needs to terminate all aide to Pakistan immediately if they continue to bash the US for killing Osama bin Laden. Obama told them up front that's what he was going to do and he kept his word. If they don't like it, they should have killed him or at the very least captured him themselves. Who knows, perhaps some other country was paying Pakistan even more to harbor OBL

May 5, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ponyboy

Hello fellow Osama lovers. Guess what? I too lived in this compound with my father Osama. I go by the name Barakolasama and my father Osama Bin Laden is not dead. IT was a scheme that Barack Obama created. Alright, goodbye..

May 5, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  12. ponyboy

Excuse me? I am Osama bin Laden's son, Barakolasma. At the moment I am in a different mansion with my very much alive father in Austria.

May 5, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • CaribbeanFire

Why would you tell us where you are with your father? And on top of that, do you not know how to spell your name? In one place it's written one way, and in another differently... With a father as rich and influential and Osama, how come you didn't get a good tutor to at least teach you how to write YOUR OWN NAME... seems to me like your dad liked you the least.... Lol

May 5, 2011 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  13. kim

I bet she very happy to be rid of bin laden despite what others may think most women that finaly get rid of a abusive man are very happy to NEVER see there abuser again.

May 5, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jeff Frank - ( R - Ohio )

Wow. These Pakistani policemen look like some real rough and tough characters posing with their guns and all. I guess Pakistan was too interested in harbouring fugitives rather than putting them out of their misery. Now they gaurd an empty compound, wasting more tax money. What a real heartache for the women and children forced to live there.

May 5, 2011 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jeff Frank - ( R - Ohio )

Where's the Tea Room Queen stomping my posts. The moron keeps up with the blog babble, I will personally certify him a sociopath along with some others that really don't say much of anything BUT HAVE TO SEE THEIR NAME POP UP ON CNN, OVER, AND OVER, AND OVER, AND OVER, AND OVER, AND OVER, AND OVER, AND OVER, AND OVER, AND OVER, AND OVER, AND OVER, AND OVER, AND OVER, AND OVER, AND OVER, AND OVER, AND OVER, AND OVER, AND OVER, AND OVER, AND OVER, AND OVER, AND OVER, AND OVER AGAIN. GET IT?

May 5, 2011 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |