Tuscaloosa mayor: Eyes back on tornado catastrophe
More than 5,700 structures were damaged or destroyed in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, alone last week.
May 5th, 2011

Tuscaloosa mayor: Eyes back on tornado catastrophe

The tornadoes weren't forgotten. The families of the hundreds who were killed in last week's record outbreak that flattened towns in the South, and the tens of thousands whose homes or businesses were damaged, and the many donors and volunteers who rushed to their aid from around the world didn't forget about the destruction, even after the United States announced it had killed Osama bin Laden.

But the terrorist mastermind's death has dominated national headlines since Sunday night, pushing tornado disaster reports, while still being made, down the pecking order. The mayor of Tuscaloosa - the University of Alabama city where at least 41 died and 25 still are missing - noticed.

Mayor Walter Maddox said this week that "with Tuscaloosa no longer being in the national media, I believe it can present a problem in terms of reminding the nation that what we face down here is a catastrophe," according to The Crimson White.

He understands why bin Laden caught the headlines, but the South's devastated communities will need sustained attention from the public and the federal government, he told CNN in a phone interview Thursday.

"Our state was hit with a Katrina-like event with less than 10 to 15 minutes' notice, and it's going to take years for our state and this city to recover," Maddox said. "What is important ... is (maintaining) the support from the federal government, and a lot of that will be borne out of the attention in this nation."

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Alabama • Tornadoes • Weather
  1. Things that make you go hmmm

How many of those people are the same ones saying they want government out of their lives? I wonder.

May 6, 2011 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  2. nur amabo nur

Here's an idea for government assistance- all the able bodies on welfare head down to Alabama and rebuild these towns and earn the checks they get every month. With 14 million + in the system it should only take a few weeks to get things back to normal.

May 6, 2011 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
  3. Sean Hannity

my member has Rush's poo poo on it

May 6, 2011 at 2:38 am | Report abuse |
  4. Cesar

I'm going to donate my ass, everyone in Tuscaloosa can bang me for free, specially black mfkers, and police men. I adore huge priks pushed and shoved up my ass. I'm sorry folks but I'm gay and happy to be banged. This is the only way I can help, I'll bring my Mom to, she has an incredible sucking technique.

May 6, 2011 at 3:28 am | Report abuse |
  5. Cesar

Oh I forgot, I'm also donating a picture of Osama's dik, and some pubic hair he sent me, the picture is not new but you can see him doing my Mom and Dad is behind him slurping his ass.

May 6, 2011 at 3:34 am | Report abuse |
  6. Nora Dunn

That sucks in other news here's a movie about 2 gay dads who have a kid

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0aPJCVLvF0&w=640&h=360]

May 6, 2011 at 3:37 am | Report abuse |
  7. Cesar

Letting go of this picture is very hard for me, I always taught he was my father, I use a turban to cover my Ass.

May 6, 2011 at 3:37 am | Report abuse |
  8. Cesar

Dear Nora; I'm the only male (well not exactly male) that has given birth thru the ass, my baby was very large but thanks to my huge hole it was easy to come out, I practice every day shoving large objects up my ass, I love fruit, mmmmm, pineapples wow man, that is some frikin fruit, it makes me cry when I pull it out.

May 6, 2011 at 3:44 am | Report abuse |
  9. Sunar From Indonesia Web: http://zonacyber.xtgem.com

i think wind-related disaster actually can be antisipated from lessening any toll, u must make bunker, i heard there are some who survived by being in closet, why u not build bungker?

May 6, 2011 at 3:47 am | Report abuse |
  10. Cesar

Sunar, don't worry about these people, as soon as they see my ass they'll forget about that stupid tornado, I can suk@ faster, and my butt, man, they are going to love it. Free ass everyone!!!!

May 6, 2011 at 3:52 am | Report abuse |
  11. Sunar From Indonesia Web: http://zonacyber.xtgem.com

ya caesar, u shoud ask ur goverment to build bunker in every home that lies in that monster wind's path

May 6, 2011 at 4:03 am | Report abuse |
  12. Cesar

Ok Sunar, when I get there I'm seeing the Mayor, after he bangs me I will ask him for the bunkers, thank you, and have a nice day.

May 6, 2011 at 4:06 am | Report abuse |
  13. Sunar From Indonesia Web: http://zonacyber.xtgem.com

hi cesar, i have web address that maybe u like it, u want to know?

May 6, 2011 at 5:12 am | Report abuse |
  14. Joey

I'm glad to see that the tornadoes are getting as much PR space as they deserve now.
    Maybe somebody will do something to keep storms from happening again.

May 6, 2011 at 5:19 am | Report abuse |