Gotta Watch: Dogs of war
Jacko is honored for his military service.
May 6th, 2011

Gotta Watch: Dogs of war

The recent mission to capture and kill Osama bin Laden has only underscored the need for military canine units. It was recently revealed that part of the SEAL team included a dog , who was choppered in to help identify possible threats to his team. These videos highlight stories of heroic military dogs during times of peace and war.

Deployed canines honored – A dog who survives six IED explosions surely deserves a war monument. Jacko is just one of many dogs to be honored at the F. Walton working dog memorial.

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2011/05/06/natpkg.faithful.partners.upd.cnn"%5D

Service dogs healing vets – Our Kiran Chetry gets a big wet kiss from a dog who ultimately saved his master from the mental and physical anguish of coming home from war.

[cnn-video url= "http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2011/05/06/exp.am.intv.montalvan.cnn"%5D

'The dog saved his life' – Family members of a fallen Marine express their deep gratitude for a dog named Bingo, who sacrificed his life to save his master.

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2010/12/04/dog.saves.marine.cnn"%5D

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Dogs • Gotta Watch • Military • TV-American Morning • Uncategorized • Veterans
  1. Ted

Nice of you to show your vast intellect Ruth! A pleasure interracting with you. Obviously you are quite out of touch.

May 6, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  2. threads

These dogs are bad MF'ers!

May 6, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  3. tstorm

These dogs are AMAZING!! I couldn't be prouder!

May 6, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Derek Hall

Military Service Dogs have a Veterans organization too! Great guys (met at their booth at a dog show in Chicago).

"The Other Forgotten Soldier"

May 6, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • George Patton

Will you cut the right-wing bla-bla-bla? I like dogs too and the idea of anyone utilizing them to kill people sickens me to no end. In fact,anybody condoning this should be put away,period!!!

May 6, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ted

George, you're mising the whole point here.

May 6, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Ruth

Hey Ted do you have a degree? I doubt it.

May 6, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • TRH

Just curious? What does having a degree have to do with anything?

BTW, I have my undergrad and two post graduate degrees, and several professional certifications. Does that make my opinion "better" in some way?

It's a shame in the past service animals were retired to testing facilities. I don't think many would disagree.

However, your point is not relavent to the issue at hand. Which is these dogs are providing an admirable service. They should get MORE press and more accolades. That would, by any reasonable assessment, lead to better awareness and better post service treatment.

Just my two cents.

May 6, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Derek Hall

Ruth you're just an elitist reactionary based on your immature comments and insults here. I love dogs (and don't care much for war or politics for that matter) and honor these animals for the work they do protecting troops and civilians in war zones. Period. It's hardly like back when horses were ridden right into close combat, ffs.

May 6, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Ted

Poor Ruth. Don't feel so bad. At least you can type

May 6, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Derek Hall

Amazing she can as I'd bet good money there are 20+ cats crawling all over her cramped little apartment.

May 6, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Ruth

Ted What is your answer?

May 6, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Elizabeth

I have seen and worked with K-9 handlers. These animals are highly trained and specific to their duty. Some are purely for 'sniffing' others are for finding/locating. Upon retirement, NONE of them go for research. Whoever, put that one in is way out of touch. These animals are highly coveted and respected. Upon retirement, they often go to their handler or someone who is equally educated to take this animal into their home as a pet. Which brings up another point. Due to their high level of training, they can be professional canines or pets. That is what comes from good breeding and training. GET THE FACTS.

May 6, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ted

Elizabeth has good points

May 6, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Ted

Ooooohh. You have a typo

May 6, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Ruth

TRH
    Because Ted questioned my vast Intellect that's why. I know my facts about these poor dogs that no cared about until recently believe me.

May 6, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  10. James

Great article! Nice to see K9's being recognized for their work. I used to handle a Search and Rescue dog and it's great to see our military making the best of our canine friends!

May 6, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Ruth

Elizabeth,
    You are so WRONG I worked for the Army for 17 years and I worked in research so I do know this.

May 6, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Anne

Ruth, instead of bullying Ted, how about being outraged at the hundreds of perfectly healthy Husky sled dogs that were killed after the Winter Olympics was over and their usefulness for making money was over. They werent even euthanized, they were murdered by thier caretakers.
    These dogs are amazing. I would trust my life, my husbands life, and the life of my only child to one of these highly intelligent, loyal, eager canines. I wouldn't let you, Ruth, babysit.

May 6, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Ruth

Anne,
    What are you talking about? What does that have to do with what were talking about? Did I say it was o.k. to hurt any animal? I

May 6, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  14. MarineDad

Just got in here. A couple of things. I read someplace that the dog used to get OBL is a Belgian Malinois.

From the photos, it does look like one. I have one of these & they are not common as say the German Shepards (GSD). This breed is very, very active, and loves attention and training. From what I hear, this breed is replacing GSDs in border patrol, police and the military. Glad to see the Malinois getting some spotlight.

Then there is this other thing about dos being sent (in harms way, if you will). My take is if humans can be sent in harms way, so can dogs, pigeons (carrier pigeons), sheep (WW II – secret messages were sent hidden in their woolly necks).

I don't like it when animals are hurt. They should be treated as humanely as possible. Cruelty in any form has no place. But using dogs or other animals as a part of the war effort is perfectly OK.

The final thing, I see some folks here acting like children, and maybe they are. It would be nice if people stopped calling each other names, and wanting to find out how much or how little education anyone has.

While education is important, completing FINISHING School seems to almost, always bring out the best in people.

People, every dog has his day, so please let this Belgian Malinois have his day – he deserves it. This is not about us, its about the dog!

May 6, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  15. lms

Amazing–working dogs with type classifications like shepard and retriver instincts are being questioned by wingnuts with little or no common sense. Since the time humans domesticated wild dogs as work animals, dogs and humans have been partners sharing a symbiotic relations ship with each other. Little fluffy dogs were not the first domesticated. BTW–my Cardigan Corgi thinks some of these posts are even beneath him . Bravo Zulu K-9 Corps!

May 6, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |