Gotta Watch: Dogs of war
Jacko is honored for his military service.
May 6th, 2011

Gotta Watch: Dogs of war

The recent mission to capture and kill Osama bin Laden has only underscored the need for military canine units. It was recently revealed that part of the SEAL team included a dog , who was choppered in to help identify possible threats to his team. These videos highlight stories of heroic military dogs during times of peace and war.

Deployed canines honored – A dog who survives six IED explosions surely deserves a war monument. Jacko is just one of many dogs to be honored at the F. Walton working dog memorial.

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2011/05/06/natpkg.faithful.partners.upd.cnn"%5D

Service dogs healing vets – Our Kiran Chetry gets a big wet kiss from a dog who ultimately saved his master from the mental and physical anguish of coming home from war.

[cnn-video url= "http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2011/05/06/exp.am.intv.montalvan.cnn"%5D

'The dog saved his life' – Family members of a fallen Marine express their deep gratitude for a dog named Bingo, who sacrificed his life to save his master.

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2010/12/04/dog.saves.marine.cnn"%5D

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Dogs • Gotta Watch • Military • TV-American Morning • Uncategorized • Veterans
  1. WiggySr

Are you yuppies serious. Dogs have been at man's side for over 10,000 years. What do you think the reason was dogs were kept. For protection, hunting, companionship yes, but dogs were the first line of defense against an intruder or a scout to alert their owners whether for hunting or alerting of what the dog senses as danger, when away from home. A dogs natural instinct is to protect their owners by putting themselves in harms way if need be. They do this without any regards for their personal safety. A dog will do anything to bond with its handler, to please & receive praise & be rewarded for its actions. Its the true nature of a dog. Why do you think they became man's best friend. If dog handlers wouldn't break the natural spirit of a dog by taking it to obedience school, just because they don't want it to bark, or want the dog to do some tricks. They would see that a dog is naturally very protective of its master & the masters family. A dog is an animal & should be respected as one. There is a difference between training a dog for a specific duty, where when it accomplishes what it was trained to do and gets the reward & praise that it craves. Then a dog that is sent to obedience school & stripped of its natural behavior & instinct just to benefit its master. Is this method any different then brain washing people. The result is the same, a body with an empty sole. Dogs can be loved as a family member, but remember, a dog is a dog, and if they can save human lives then that is the bottom line. It is why the dog was brought into the family to begin with thousands of years ago.

May 6, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • JessicaB

I love that you pointed out that dogs have been at man's side for thousands of years. I did an extensive research project on dogs in one of my Anthropology classes and was flabbergasted. The differences that occurred during the domestication process (which of course isn't an over night process by any means) is amazing. Dogs were originally adopted after the ice age for hunting purposes, because the ice and snow was melting it was more difficult for humans to hunt by themselves. Dogs proved good hunting companions and were then adapted to other daily tasks and companionship.

May 6, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Brian

Ruth I was in the military, Your not the only one that knows about K-9 duties, what was your m.o.s. I worked with dogs while I was in the military, and now that im retired I train dogs for local and state law enforcement. All of these dogs are special, handlers get extremely attached to them, such as myself. Ruth have you ever been in a hot L.Z., been pinned down in a fox hole for hours wandering if you were going to get blown up or shot? Probably not, quit hacking on everyone and stick to what you think you know.

May 6, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cisco

Welcome Home my brother.

May 6, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Ted

Ruth doesn't get out much, that's pretty clear.

May 6, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  4. aly

I bet if one of these amazing animals saved any of you haters you'd be singing a different tune! If it was your family fighting over seas wouldnt you want them to have all of the tools they could use to locate a deadly bomb or someone about to shoot them? These dogs are all well loved! And they make it possible for fathers, brothers, sons, sisters, daughters, and mothers come home!

May 6, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Ted

Exactly Aly

May 6, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Ruth

Brian,
    I was not in the military. I worked for the military in the lab. I'm not hacking (is that a word?) on anyone. Why would I make up anything? What for? Why would you think that I don't know what I'm talking about? It's because you don't want to know the facts????

May 6, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Brian

Thanks Ted, its people like ruth that probably hid in the barracks, then when phych opp's were over she wet her head and pretended she was out of breath. I question her military past, I retired after 31 years 101st. Airborne. Ruth you should be ashamed of yourself, I thought the military would of done a better job with you.

May 6, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Brian

Ruth there is always beauty school

May 6, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Ted

THank you for all you have done Brian

May 6, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Ted

We shouldn't be too hard on Ruth. I really don't think she knows any better.

May 6, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Cesar

@monkey: Where you at, stupid? You need to troll me, PUNK!

May 6, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Ruth

Brian,
    I have done way more for the soldiers than you will ever do! Where did any one get that I'm a hater? That makes no sense.

May 6, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Cesar

@ cesar....I'm leaving you bye.....

May 6, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Ted

Anyway... This is great that these dogs have been brought into the limelight for a bit. I hope they increase their presence

May 6, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  15. leemsquirm

Dogs are honored until they bite a child because the child teased the dog. Then the dog is to put it in their words "destroyed." All propaganda pieces to pat themselves on the back. the fact is killing OBL did nothing but add another $30+ million to the tab. The enemies of the US are still there and they get stronger every day.

May 6, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ted

So maybe we should have given UBL a poodle and sent him on his way? Pocketed the money?

May 6, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ted

I'm sure some said the same about ol' Adolf

May 6, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |