Gotta Watch: Dogs of war
Jacko is honored for his military service.
May 6th, 2011

Gotta Watch: Dogs of war

The recent mission to capture and kill Osama bin Laden has only underscored the need for military canine units. It was recently revealed that part of the SEAL team included a dog , who was choppered in to help identify possible threats to his team. These videos highlight stories of heroic military dogs during times of peace and war.

Deployed canines honored – A dog who survives six IED explosions surely deserves a war monument. Jacko is just one of many dogs to be honored at the F. Walton working dog memorial.

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2011/05/06/natpkg.faithful.partners.upd.cnn"%5D

Service dogs healing vets – Our Kiran Chetry gets a big wet kiss from a dog who ultimately saved his master from the mental and physical anguish of coming home from war.

[cnn-video url= "http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2011/05/06/exp.am.intv.montalvan.cnn"%5D

'The dog saved his life' – Family members of a fallen Marine express their deep gratitude for a dog named Bingo, who sacrificed his life to save his master.

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2010/12/04/dog.saves.marine.cnn"%5D

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Dogs • Gotta Watch • Military • TV-American Morning • Uncategorized • Veterans
  1. Cisco

JB I was a Military Police Sentry Dog Handler.Welcome Home to your Dad.

May 6, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Elizabeth

Thanks Brian and Ted and Cisco for your educated and balanced comments. We do not live in a perfect world. However, these dogs are loved and respected and I DO know this first hand.

May 6, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ted

Exactly Elizabeth. Thanks for your contributions

May 6, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Ted

May 6, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cisco

You are welcome, it was my honor.

May 6, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Beau

As for a working dog, I had an Australian Cattle Dog that I never taught a thing to. It was instinctively bred in him. I could work 100 cows with just me and Elvis. He saved both me and my father on more than one occasion. About 10 Brahman cows got my dad down one day while he was putting cubes in a trough. Elvis flew off of the pickup toolbox, on to the backs of a cluster of cows, and dispersed them with great prejudice! My dad was 75 years old, and he knew it was the end of him without Elvis. I could make that pup do anything from getting me a beer to putting a 2000# mean-azz bull exactly where I wanted him. And he loved every second of it!
    The world would be a terrible place without our pups, whether they work, fight, or just be our buddies. The only bad thing about 'em is when they have to go.

May 6, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Nala

Dogs have given us their absolute all. We are the center of their universe. We are the focus of their love and faith and trust. They serve us in return for scraps. It is without a doubt the best deal man has ever made. Roger Caras

May 6, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • rob

It works out well for the dogs too. Dogs evolved from wolves to be like they are, since doing so gives them survival advantage over their ancestors in the wild.

Wolves live 5 years old if they are lucky, my dog just reached 15 years old and is still living happily, at my feet as I type this, with all her needs met. She's got a good life, relatively stress free......I'm a bit jealous. Even service dogs get a pretty good life compared to living in the wild.

I guess I'm a bit of a sucker, but then again, happy to be one. Those that choose not to be suckered this way are missing out on one of the greatest joys of life.

May 6, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  5. BobZemko

N-n-n-ice doggie . . . . .

May 6, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Brett

Man all of the stuff between Ruth and Brian, wow. I train dogs specifically for duties. The #1 dog I train is Labradors, these dogs are amazing, good god the intelligence of these dogs blows my mind, even after they are de-commissioned from service, Labs make awesome pets, I have several de-commissioned labs, only 1 problem with them is that you have to train them not to do their original job. Labs are becoming more popular with military ; state and local law enforcement because of their nose for sniffing out bad things. Labs are king.

May 6, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Miguel

Great to hear this, I am always deeply moved by the stories of these and other canine heroes and service dogs and the relationships.

A dog is the only creature on the planet that will love any person unconditionally, serve them and give their lives to protect their charges without question. Truly a magnificient and noble creature!

May 6, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  8. K-9 Indy

Please remember on 09/11/11 K-9 Sirius a PAPD bomb detection dog lost his life at the bottom of tower 2. It was only fitting that a bomb detection MWD was in the compound the night OBL was killed. What comes around goes around

May 6, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Elizabeth

Thanks so much for this reminder. Sirius and others have given us so much. I even have 'trading cards' with our furry friends stats and accomplishments.

May 6, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Cesar

@Cesar: You'll be back, and Ill find you too.

May 6, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Len

i am in shock at some of the terrible comments about our service dogs and working dogs in general. Every handler I know considers their dog their dog not a dog, but their their partner and a member of the family. Dogs are killed in the line of duty saving lives, not killing people.

As to what Ruth has said, it may have happened twenty years ago, but not in modern times. If you think about it, it just isn't logical. It takes hundreds of thousands of dollars to properly train a service dog and get all the certifications it needed for duty, not to mention the safety equipment the dog wears themselves. As well, handlers are specially chosen since that dog is going to be their world. No one is going to let that happen to their partner. If you really want to know where lab animals come from – the street, puppy mills, and animal shelters. You aren't going to experiment on a dog that has been trained to protect it's own life.

Having come from a military family, Ruth should be ashamed of herself. So you worked in a lab, big deal. Anyone can claim that they did this, or worked as a janitor in the lab. Stop making assumptions or using research that happened back in the 50s!

May 6, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Elizabeth

BRAVO and very well-said! If only the general public could be so fortunate as to meet the handlers and these magnificent creatures. It truly is a special experience and one that I treasure.

May 6, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Ted

All good points, Len

May 6, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Ruth

Len,
    It didn't happen 50 years ago. The dog does not belong to the handler it belongs to the military or federal government. Why are you upset with me? I'm stating a fact. Have you have ever worked at Ft. Dietrick or any other lab?

May 6, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Len

No, but I know many wonderful soldiers and police officers who do pretty much own their dogs. They go home with them nearly EVERY night and are part of the family. If your lab is like that, you should go through the process of reporting them since that is NOT how the majority of animals are taken care of by the government or other facilities.

The reason you are being attacked by everyone is the fact that you are trolling. If you do not have anything positive or productive to say, please leave the thread. Stop sitting for most of the day trolling a threat on dogs that should be respected.

May 6, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Elizabeth

I do 'believeth' thou protesteth a bit too much. If you are so inspired by the plight of animals, put your energy into saving them. I mean this sincerely and not out of sarcasm. If you truly have inside knowledge, do something. Otherwise your words are meaningless and will do nothing to stop this crime as you see it.

May 6, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Ruth1

I'm Ruth. I like to troll and get on people on CNN, where no one can see through it. You're either a troll or an idiot.

May 6, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  14. SophieCat

Turn one of them German Shephards loose to disperse justice to those Zionist Jews on the Gaza. I bet the 'fight' goes outta them right quick.

May 6, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ryee

That is uncalled for, and indiscriminately hateful remark.

May 7, 2011 at 3:29 am | Report abuse |
  15. VonH

Yeah, somehow the vision of having a near-rabid combat dog bull-rushing me makes me not want to be their enemy.

May 6, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |