Alabama storm victim to spend first Mother's Day in shelter
Leicia Fairchild and her son, Christian, survived last week's devastating storms in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.
May 7th, 2011

Alabama storm victim to spend first Mother's Day in shelter

Leicia Fairchild had only one thing on her mind as a tornado ripped apart her home in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, last week.

"My son, my son, I got to get to my son," Fairchild recalls.

Fairchild was relieved to find her 8-week-old son, Christian, unharmed in her mother's home down the hill. But her elation has turned into despair as she gets ready to spend her first Mother's Day in a shelter with more than 200 others displaced by last week's devastating storms.

"I pictured Mother's Day at home with his father, and happy and everything, and it's far from happy. I’m in a shelter with my son," she said.

The American Red Cross set up the shelter just a few miles outside Tuscaloosa, where a massive tornado cut a 5.9-mile-long path of destruction last week. More than 5,700 structures were damaged and destroyed, affecting an estimated 13,700 people, a mayoral spokeswoman said. The city has held off on releasing an official count of the dead, but CNN last reported the death toll at 50.

Ground zero in Tuscaloosa: Horror and hope, tears and prayers

Fairchild was sitting at home with the father of her baby when she heard a loud noise and looked out the window and saw a tornado heading for her house.

"We ran and just dove under the sink and the whole house lifted up and started to go with the wind, and we were just praying to God the whole time and all I could think about was my baby,” Fairchild said Saturday as she sat in the shelter's cafeteria.

Before the storm had ended, she was running down the hill to see if her mother's home was still there.

"They pulled nails out of my feet where I had to run through my house. We had to climb over a huge tree that landed on our house that was blocking the door, and I had to climb over that tree. I was determined to get to my son."

The child was unharmed. Fairchild's mother and the boy's father also survived, but their homes were destroyed.

Fairchild hopes to leave the shelter soon and move into an apartment. Her first Mother's Day wasn’t supposed to be like this.

"He's a blessing. I get to tell him he lived through a tornado at 8 weeks old."

Post by:
Filed under: Alabama • Tornadoes • Weather
  1. fred garvin

One thing is for sure,that is one baby that will never go hungry!Nice pair of dary pillows mom has!

May 8, 2011 at 7:03 am | Report abuse |
  2. ADeLaCruz

A) just because her chest is that size now, doesn't mean it's going to stay that way. Did nobody catch that her baby is 8 weeks old? Duh to all the losers that are drooling. B) I feel bad for these people, but how long are we going to have to hear about this? Is it going to be "Katrina" all over again with everyone screaming "we demand the guh-ment to give us money, NOW!" C) Why do we need to see this on the news? Do you think that we are too stupid to know that mothers will be spending today in a shelter? It's not like we thought they have already rebuilt, the media keeps reminding us that they are homeless. The baby being spared is awesome since there are lots that aren't spared. Not just from mother nature, but by acts of cowards that lack any concern for human life. 3500 to 3700 babies are aborted every day, and that is a choice made by a human, not something out of a human's control like mother nature. I don't see any media outlet covering THAT tragic story. So, media morons, let's move on. These people will survive, they will rebuild, life will go on. Why don't you use your coverage for something more useful like putting more pressure on the idiots in Washington to do better?

May 8, 2011 at 7:43 am | Report abuse |
  3. LookinForAngels

IIdk why my comment keeps disappearing but it ain't funny.
    II'm dead serious when I say that there's a group of people uploading vids on CNN's iReport today that gives this woman a Happy Mother's Day.
    IIf you don't like it, screw off and leave my comment ALONE please.

May 8, 2011 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
    • True Freedom to Associate

No thanks

May 9, 2011 at 1:44 am | Report abuse |
  4. Cesar

What do I have to do, eat a banana?

May 8, 2011 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  5. Mike

Just another low life that we as taxpayers will be supporting for the next 50 years.

May 8, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  6. scott

flush the turd!

May 8, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  7. steve

damn! that woman and her creature are UGLY!

May 8, 2011 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  8. FunkyMark

If you are so inclined, you can donate money to Leisia Fairchild and her baby on PayPal. Her email address, as stated on her Facebook page is: tornadoblewmyhouseaway@gmail.com.

May 8, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Ares

Blacks are nothing but a burden on America, and the world for that matter. Allowing them to breed further, even with the degenerates amongst our own race, is destroying civilization.

May 8, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • FunkyMark

Hate is our burden in America, not blacks.

May 8, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ares

I disagree. When America was more segregated, or "hateful" as your intelligence would deem, the country was much better off – socially, economically, educationally, etc etc.

May 8, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • True Freedom to Associate

What happened to Liberia? Why not go save it!??

May 9, 2011 at 1:45 am | Report abuse |
  10. Sophia

Are you sure that's your kid? It looks nothing at all like you. (That flushing sound in the background is your family's genetic line being lost for the rest of eternity.)

May 8, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • True Freedom to Associate

Too many have been taught to hate their culture and hate the people they cam from. Jewish Marxists after the Russian revolution began an academic revolution here to destroy white western culture. Google "Ruth Benedict"+The Brotherhood of Man. Pure secular Jewish Marxist indoctrination for a slow crumble and genocide. To rot us from within.

As an aside, I am for all peoples freedom despite color, but affirmative action and the great society burden of Lyndon B Johnson is not freedom... and preaching propaganda about how all other non-white cultures were peaceful saint savants oppressed unilaterally by YT is not freedom. It is indoctrination.

They've been taught that their ancestry, their heritage and their genes are worth nothing. We fight back.

May 9, 2011 at 1:51 am | Report abuse |
  11. cnn

Can't blame the father for leaving though, at least he knew he could do better than Gollum's sister.

May 8, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  12. tiffany

Disgusting is all I can say. Every freaking blog there are so called people bashing others. Why don't you stay off these blogs and go to h#ll where you belong!!!!

May 8, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • True Freedom to Associate

We're already here in hell on earth it seems and we are trying to get out.

May 9, 2011 at 1:53 am | Report abuse |
  13. teaona payne/garrett

First of all what are you people even on here talking like all of you are crazy I can understand why the baby might had been at her moms house you people do know that every mother deserves a break from time to time and why does that make her have to be on welfare grow up and how did this story go from insightful to racist you all really need to get a life and stop hating on everything so what if her baby is black so what if she's on welfare so what if the baby daddy's not there anymore does that make her a any less of a mother not everyone has to be married to take care of a child there are some father less homes now a days you know I mean jesus christ its not that serious you all should just be happy for her and her baby surviving the storms period point blank like I am

May 8, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  14. banasy

Such ignorance abounds.
    I'm glad her baby is fine, as well as the rest of the family.
    Happy Mother's Day, Leicia. I hope you celebrate many, many more with your beloved son.

May 8, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • True Freedom to Associate

Yes, ignorance certainly abounds

May 9, 2011 at 1:54 am | Report abuse |
  15. Bill

How disgusting. I don't want to see this...

May 8, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patrick

This is disgusting, her baby is an ugly half breed bast**rd child.

May 8, 2011 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |