Alabama storm victim to spend first Mother's Day in shelter
Leicia Fairchild and her son, Christian, survived last week's devastating storms in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.
May 7th, 2011

Alabama storm victim to spend first Mother's Day in shelter

Leicia Fairchild had only one thing on her mind as a tornado ripped apart her home in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, last week.

"My son, my son, I got to get to my son," Fairchild recalls.

Fairchild was relieved to find her 8-week-old son, Christian, unharmed in her mother's home down the hill. But her elation has turned into despair as she gets ready to spend her first Mother's Day in a shelter with more than 200 others displaced by last week's devastating storms.

"I pictured Mother's Day at home with his father, and happy and everything, and it's far from happy. I’m in a shelter with my son," she said.

The American Red Cross set up the shelter just a few miles outside Tuscaloosa, where a massive tornado cut a 5.9-mile-long path of destruction last week. More than 5,700 structures were damaged and destroyed, affecting an estimated 13,700 people, a mayoral spokeswoman said. The city has held off on releasing an official count of the dead, but CNN last reported the death toll at 50.

Ground zero in Tuscaloosa: Horror and hope, tears and prayers

Fairchild was sitting at home with the father of her baby when she heard a loud noise and looked out the window and saw a tornado heading for her house.

"We ran and just dove under the sink and the whole house lifted up and started to go with the wind, and we were just praying to God the whole time and all I could think about was my baby,” Fairchild said Saturday as she sat in the shelter's cafeteria.

Before the storm had ended, she was running down the hill to see if her mother's home was still there.

"They pulled nails out of my feet where I had to run through my house. We had to climb over a huge tree that landed on our house that was blocking the door, and I had to climb over that tree. I was determined to get to my son."

The child was unharmed. Fairchild's mother and the boy's father also survived, but their homes were destroyed.

Fairchild hopes to leave the shelter soon and move into an apartment. Her first Mother's Day wasn’t supposed to be like this.

"He's a blessing. I get to tell him he lived through a tornado at 8 weeks old."

Post by:
Filed under: Alabama • Tornadoes • Weather
  1. Steven Cohen

What a horrible looking baby. Looks like someone took a big dump and put a diaper on it.

May 8, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Joey

Hi, banasy.
    I know this is a day you have to handle.
    You are wonderful.

May 8, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Blue Sky

This white lady has what every white woman want. Other than having a baby by a Black Man, she will eventually get that house that the storm has taken away from her. I bet white boys are heated that she has had the pleasure a white man can not grant a woman. But if she has insurance than it's good and secure. She'll have that house & Black Man in her life again. This is just a minor obstacle. Images like this reveal white women are leaving white males for men we all knew they really wanted in the FIRST place, which are BLACK MEN.

May 8, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • really?

sorry but we dont want you, what a jerk you are

May 8, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Courtney

You took that out of the story was that she has a baby by a "Black Man?" Grow the hell up! It's 2011, people are having children by every race! Comments like that. No wonder you are lonely! Would be any different if he was white? Hell he can be a dead beat too living off welfare! If you have children I bet they don't like you! I pray they don't grow up like you! GROW THE HELL UP!

May 8, 2011 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • True Freedom to Associate

Nice "muh dick" obsessed post

May 9, 2011 at 1:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Brenx

Blue Sky, I seriously hope you are just trolling. I'm a white and I have a darn big dick. You envy, huh?

May 9, 2011 at 7:25 am | Report abuse |
  4. Southern Princess

Lecia, I am so sorry for you on so many fronts. First that you had to go thru this disaster terrified for your baby, second that you are in a shelter instead of your own home, third because you obviously lacked the self esteem to choose a better partner to have a baby with. Fourth that your son will have to suffer the repurcussions of not being accepted by either race he is a part of. I have seen it and it is sad...good luck to you, you are going to need it.

May 8, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy

Hi, Joey:

Thank you.
    You're pretty special yourself, my friend.

May 8, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy

*Sigh*

As I said before, ignorance abounds here.

May 8, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  7. TrumpD

Better guard the child's birth cert in safe if you wish him to become the man one day.

May 8, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy

@TrumpD:

True, dat!

May 8, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  9. pymahmi

I am so glad her family made it through.I am in Georgia and it sounded like the end of the world when the storm hit here. So many people lost everything they had in it.My family and I huddled in the basement of our home while it raged (along with my stomach)just outside our doors. We could do nothing but pray and by the grace of God,we didn't have any major damage.I am also a young black woman with children. I work for everything I have but had the storm hit here the way it did in Tuscaloosa,I may have been in a shelter also. Just a bit north of here in a predominantly white area, people weren't so lucky. Their homes and businesses were destroyed and lives were lost.You would be suprised to find that while this particular story may have left a poor taste in your mouth that she was not the only one in this situation. This monstrous storm crossed race and class lines and no one was left unchanged by it. You can look at this from your ipads, iphones and blackberrys and pass judgement on these people because you weren't there. Fyi most young black mothers I know go to work and take care of their families, are not on welfare and have a college education. I am appalled at the comments I've seen here on a mothers day that has to be the worst. She and her son have their lives but have probably never had to stay in a shelter and not support themselves. I'm sure this is very humbling for her as it would be if it were you going through this. God bless you all

May 8, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  10. kara

god bless them

May 8, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy

@pymahmi:

Beautiful. You've said it all, and very nicely.
    Please do not think that the views expressed here reflect everyone who has read about these horrific storms and the loss of lives and possesions. They do not.
    I am glad you and your family survived.
    God Bless *you*! (And yours!)

May 8, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  12. joAnn

It,does not matter if one is black or white. She never metions what color thier are.And,you are right there is no mention who the father of the baby is.It, was by God's GRACE, thier were saved. JoAnn

May 8, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Linari

Hey, White, you are a first class ass. What does an earthquake in Haiti have to do with this? Mixing it with YOU would definitely be mixing with the "wrong kind"! I hope you don't breed; get yourself sterilized, please!

May 8, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Captain Obvious

White, please abort yourself. I beg of you. Just do it.

May 8, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Blue Sky

White, you are wrong. You don't know if she mixed with the wrong kind because you don't know the kind of guy she's with. Her situation isn't a result of her personal life but a distaster that struck her whole city. But she has made the best decisions that she can make regardless of mother nature's distaster. She has made the choice to date a Black Man which is the Envy of every white man & desire of every white woman. Therefore we should applaude her happiness. She is the envy of all her white friends because we all know that they wish they had a Black Man themselves. So she's a star to them.

May 8, 2011 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |