Alabama storm victim to spend first Mother's Day in shelter
Leicia Fairchild and her son, Christian, survived last week's devastating storms in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.
May 7th, 2011

Alabama storm victim to spend first Mother's Day in shelter

Leicia Fairchild had only one thing on her mind as a tornado ripped apart her home in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, last week.

"My son, my son, I got to get to my son," Fairchild recalls.

Fairchild was relieved to find her 8-week-old son, Christian, unharmed in her mother's home down the hill. But her elation has turned into despair as she gets ready to spend her first Mother's Day in a shelter with more than 200 others displaced by last week's devastating storms.

"I pictured Mother's Day at home with his father, and happy and everything, and it's far from happy. I’m in a shelter with my son," she said.

The American Red Cross set up the shelter just a few miles outside Tuscaloosa, where a massive tornado cut a 5.9-mile-long path of destruction last week. More than 5,700 structures were damaged and destroyed, affecting an estimated 13,700 people, a mayoral spokeswoman said. The city has held off on releasing an official count of the dead, but CNN last reported the death toll at 50.

Ground zero in Tuscaloosa: Horror and hope, tears and prayers

Fairchild was sitting at home with the father of her baby when she heard a loud noise and looked out the window and saw a tornado heading for her house.

"We ran and just dove under the sink and the whole house lifted up and started to go with the wind, and we were just praying to God the whole time and all I could think about was my baby,” Fairchild said Saturday as she sat in the shelter's cafeteria.

Before the storm had ended, she was running down the hill to see if her mother's home was still there.

"They pulled nails out of my feet where I had to run through my house. We had to climb over a huge tree that landed on our house that was blocking the door, and I had to climb over that tree. I was determined to get to my son."

The child was unharmed. Fairchild's mother and the boy's father also survived, but their homes were destroyed.

Fairchild hopes to leave the shelter soon and move into an apartment. Her first Mother's Day wasn’t supposed to be like this.

"He's a blessing. I get to tell him he lived through a tornado at 8 weeks old."

Post by:
Filed under: Alabama • Tornadoes • Weather
  1. Reena

White trash!!!!! What makes you say that...do you know her personally!

May 7, 2011 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • bub

Get back in the pickup, Roland. I think your cousin is getting lonely.....

May 8, 2011 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
  2. rafael

All that from one photo of a smiling woman holding her baby. You, sir, are a freakin genius.

May 7, 2011 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Just sayin

she looks like she's 12 . . . I bet u dollars to donuts she is not over 17!

May 7, 2011 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Name*leicia fairchild

I'm 20 by the way

May 8, 2011 at 2:04 am | Report abuse |
  4. Just sayin

word!

May 7, 2011 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  5. rafael

"Give the money to write this article to her to survive."
    And you're worried about her level of ignorance.

May 7, 2011 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Alice Gray

The only thing that breeds faster than poor white trash is Internet trolls.

May 7, 2011 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • True Freedom to Associate

and self-righteous multiculturalism types who beleive that every culture except western whites deserves pride and heritage preservation!

May 9, 2011 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
  7. Louise

These comments are sick. There is nothing wrong with this young woman or her story. You are America to the world and you are doing your country a disservice with your obscene racist comments.

What could you possibly find fault with. She was at home with her partner and her child was with her mum. She survived a tornado and ran through nails to reach her child? How is that bad? She sounds like a good mother. You people sound like you should seek therapy for your hatred of people. I won't suggest that you travel because if this is your mindset I don't think the world needs to experience you.

Good night.

May 7, 2011 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. chaos1946 is a pvssy

Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!

May 7, 2011 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  9. rafael

I'm pretty sure that having your house ripped off its foundation by a tornado qualifies as a culture-blind act of destruction. Be thankful it hasn't happened to you.

May 8, 2011 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
  10. deedee

luv u liecia n lil c wen i seen ur house we ran 2 it yelln ur name n sans. luv yall thnk the lord he had his arm round yall!

May 8, 2011 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Just sayin

can i have a translator on this post?

May 8, 2011 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
  11. Eric

It's funny because a lot of people here on this message board are saying derogitive things about a young woman that was worried about her child during a massive tornado. Yes she is young. We get that. But I don't see any of you making fun of a Mexican girl at 14, 15, or 16 having kids that young. Hell, their family trains them to have them at that age. But now everyone has to be racist against whites. The "in" thing to do. Watch that horrible Mary Povich show sometime and keep your racist comments to yourself.

May 8, 2011 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Just sayin

Who is mary povich?

May 8, 2011 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Martha

I'd have the same derogatory comments about any race...

May 8, 2011 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
  12. alex666

That kid will be the next Obama. Mark my words. He has Harvard Law School written all over him.

May 8, 2011 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Martha

The "Law" will probably be involved, but I doubt there will be any kind of "School"... 🙁

May 8, 2011 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Name*leicia fairchild

Thanks I think so too

May 8, 2011 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Eli

No way, this kid has no Grandparent to raise him, most likely he will be locked up by the age of 18 and just be another burden on the tax payers. the sad part is that this trash girl will probably pop a few more from a couple of different you know who daddy's that wont be around.

May 8, 2011 at 2:45 am | Report abuse |
  13. Melissa

Thanks to God that the baby was safe! It is so sad to see all the comments bad-mouthing this woman and her child. You people know nothing about her.

May 8, 2011 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Name*leicia fairchild

Thank-you and god bless you

May 8, 2011 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
    • skytag is a pvssy

@Name*leicia fairchild; does the homeless shelter have a computer they let recipients blog on CNN with?

May 8, 2011 at 3:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Mexico

I hope the baby would have died, tbh.

May 9, 2011 at 7:09 am | Report abuse |
  14. Lauren B

I REALLY do not understand why people are so obsessed about mixed couples. WHO CARES? My mom is always talking about white women who get with black men. I just want to tell her WHO CARES???? I personally am not attracted to black men, but that doesn't mean black men are unattractive...it just means that I have different preferences. But that doesn't matter anyway....I couldn't care less if a white woman wants to date a black man or if a black man wants to date a white woman...or if a black woman dates a white man. WHO CARES???? It's not anything that involves me, so I really am not going to waste my time being hateful to mixed couples or even smirking about it. It's not my cup of tea, but I DON'T CARE. Why do you????

May 8, 2011 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Eli

BS it means you were raised right. I bet you if this girl had your parents she would never be in this mess and alone.

May 8, 2011 at 2:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Dick Weed

I'll tell you why I care. Black men universally have a desire to "steal" white women from white society. It is a part of their culture. They gloat about it amongst one another. Black women hate it when black men date white women. Black girls will routinely attack white girls dating black boys. What parent wants their daughter being seduced for the purpose of theft?
      Take a look at what that black golfer did. Snagged a pretty white woman and had a whole harem out back to boot.
      Now, if this is a case of salt n pepper baby sans father, I see a really bright future in...........WELFARE.

Although I hope not. The country is broke enuff over liberal shenanigans, already.

May 8, 2011 at 3:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Ares

It matters because mixed couples produce mixed offspring, which makes more of our country look like Detroit, South Central, Haiti, the Congo, and so on. The fact that someone even has to really wonder what 'why this is important' just shows how ignorant and dumbed-down Americans have become.

May 8, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |