Alabama storm victim to spend first Mother's Day in shelter
Leicia Fairchild and her son, Christian, survived last week's devastating storms in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.
May 7th, 2011

Alabama storm victim to spend first Mother's Day in shelter

Leicia Fairchild had only one thing on her mind as a tornado ripped apart her home in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, last week.

"My son, my son, I got to get to my son," Fairchild recalls.

Fairchild was relieved to find her 8-week-old son, Christian, unharmed in her mother's home down the hill. But her elation has turned into despair as she gets ready to spend her first Mother's Day in a shelter with more than 200 others displaced by last week's devastating storms.

"I pictured Mother's Day at home with his father, and happy and everything, and it's far from happy. I’m in a shelter with my son," she said.

The American Red Cross set up the shelter just a few miles outside Tuscaloosa, where a massive tornado cut a 5.9-mile-long path of destruction last week. More than 5,700 structures were damaged and destroyed, affecting an estimated 13,700 people, a mayoral spokeswoman said. The city has held off on releasing an official count of the dead, but CNN last reported the death toll at 50.

Ground zero in Tuscaloosa: Horror and hope, tears and prayers

Fairchild was sitting at home with the father of her baby when she heard a loud noise and looked out the window and saw a tornado heading for her house.

"We ran and just dove under the sink and the whole house lifted up and started to go with the wind, and we were just praying to God the whole time and all I could think about was my baby,” Fairchild said Saturday as she sat in the shelter's cafeteria.

Before the storm had ended, she was running down the hill to see if her mother's home was still there.

"They pulled nails out of my feet where I had to run through my house. We had to climb over a huge tree that landed on our house that was blocking the door, and I had to climb over that tree. I was determined to get to my son."

The child was unharmed. Fairchild's mother and the boy's father also survived, but their homes were destroyed.

Fairchild hopes to leave the shelter soon and move into an apartment. Her first Mother's Day wasn’t supposed to be like this.

"He's a blessing. I get to tell him he lived through a tornado at 8 weeks old."

Post by:
Filed under: Alabama • Tornadoes • Weather
  1. penny

What does it matter what race the folks are? Hmm? Or if the father is there? What matters is that this girl and her newborn survived a terrible tragedy that many folks perished to. Its a story of hope and survival and some of you folks are overlooking that with your tainted opinions. Yes this is the south but racism shouldn't be a topic. Especially following this kind of tragedy. We no longer live in times of slavery everyone here is free.

May 8, 2011 at 1:07 am | Report abuse |
  2. QWERTY

I don't get it....something like 50 percent of all black children live in father-less homes (google it). However, if you comment or make a generalization on the subject, you're a racist. It's like stating a fact is no longer allowed if it isn't PC. This women clearly isn't married and had a child out of wedlock....the baby appears to be mixed....just another statistic. God help the baby, I feel terrible for him being brought into this world by two irresponsible people.

May 8, 2011 at 1:07 am | Report abuse |
    • rafael

You speak the truth. You don't get it.

May 8, 2011 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Kelis

Who gets married anymore? Not her BabyDaddy – he'll father more children with different women, that's how black men do.

May 8, 2011 at 1:37 am | Report abuse |
    • kansas

I bet the tornado was there fault to..hey where are your parents??

May 8, 2011 at 2:05 am | Report abuse |
  3. Johnny

Ok, maybe I will be the first one to say it: that mom is smoking hot! You know, my apartment was not hit by the tornado and it's located in a very decent neighborhood. Perhaps we could make some arrangement???

May 8, 2011 at 1:08 am | Report abuse |
  4. bub

Some of you posters are just slumming here. Wouldn't you and your condescending racist remarks be much happier over at Fox?

May 8, 2011 at 1:08 am | Report abuse |
    • skytag is a pvssy

Nah, Fox is boring. They don't have any race-baiting stories. They don't need 'em to stay afloat like CNN.

May 8, 2011 at 1:43 am | Report abuse |
  5. chaz Romano (not real name. take that CNN)

lol looks like the kkk has an cnn presence. So sad. i feel for the people involved but nonetheless, I guarantee you this photo will end up in google image searches of the word redneck. The teeth, the cheeks, the fact that its in alabama. This is the face of white poverty in the south.

May 8, 2011 at 1:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Eli

I hate the KKK but on this one I agree with them. Sorry it's time the truth is spoken and it's time to shame the ladies. If we remain silent then we will never fix the problem, and don't tell me there is no problem!

May 8, 2011 at 2:53 am | Report abuse |
    • True Freedom to Associate

Nice straw man. Not everyone who is sick of multiculti propoganda is a kkk member or redneck.

Get a clue. We're out there and the multiculti time is up. We have to be patient though and watch our every step so we can avoid the thought crime police. But kids eventually see it and we can override their years of progressive programming.

May 9, 2011 at 1:22 am | Report abuse |
  6. Roland

CNN thought it was running pro-diversity propaganda.

Didn't seem to have had the desired effect.

May 8, 2011 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
  7. Diane

Seriously – I just looked at her fb page, and baby's Daddy is H.O.T.! He's got dimples to die for. Oh, and yes, I'm white, but appreciate beauty in many forms, and in all people – black, white, pink, green or purple.

May 8, 2011 at 1:14 am | Report abuse |
  8. rafael

Enough evidence that you are the sadder individual. Time for a good long look in the mirror.

May 8, 2011 at 1:16 am | Report abuse |
  9. Happytroll

Trolololololol

May 8, 2011 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
  10. Jo Jo

Dumber than dumb!

May 8, 2011 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
  11. joe

once again the 'media' trying to protray 'normal' america...

May 8, 2011 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
  12. Jo Jo

Her babies daddy is a grangsta....how sweet!

May 8, 2011 at 1:21 am | Report abuse |
  13. Madmardigan

Absolutely.

May 8, 2011 at 1:21 am | Report abuse |
  14. Alex

Everybody says there is this RACE problem. Everybody says this RACE problem will be solved when the third world pours into EVERY white country and ONLY into white countries.
    Everybody says the final solution to this RACE problem is for EVERY white country and ONLY white countries to “assimilate,” i.e., intermarry, with all those non-whites.It is Genocide.
    They say they are anti-racist. What they are is anti-white.
    Anti-racist is a code word for anti-white.

May 8, 2011 at 1:21 am | Report abuse |
    • True Freedom to Associate

Someone else who gets it. Why are there no major efforts to send non core nation immigrants to Liberia?

And who were the Bolsheviks?

May 9, 2011 at 1:24 am | Report abuse |
  15. Insecureabouturmanhood

All the skinheads here posting about the kids ethnicity are afraid that maybe their sisters or even mothers are catching it from an "ethnic" guy LOL its too funny to watch but i do kind of feel sorry for them.

May 8, 2011 at 1:22 am | Report abuse |
    • True Freedom to Associate

Its funny about how your type only thinks about "ur manhood" is that all you have a mind for? Sorry to dis-appoint you, but its not about petty "manhood" concerns. Our issue is with the deliberate propaganda campaign against western white culture.

Its about cultural and racial genocide and a century long campaign led by Jewish Marxists. You apparently don't know the context and don't know all of the gems of history.

May 9, 2011 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |