Alabama storm victim to spend first Mother's Day in shelter
Leicia Fairchild and her son, Christian, survived last week's devastating storms in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.
May 7th, 2011

Alabama storm victim to spend first Mother's Day in shelter

Leicia Fairchild had only one thing on her mind as a tornado ripped apart her home in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, last week.

"My son, my son, I got to get to my son," Fairchild recalls.

Fairchild was relieved to find her 8-week-old son, Christian, unharmed in her mother's home down the hill. But her elation has turned into despair as she gets ready to spend her first Mother's Day in a shelter with more than 200 others displaced by last week's devastating storms.

The American Red Cross set up the shelter just a few miles outside Tuscaloosa, where a massive tornado cut a 5.9-mile-long path of destruction last week. More than 5,700 structures were damaged and destroyed, affecting an estimated 13,700 people, a mayoral spokeswoman said. The city has held off on releasing an official count of the dead, but CNN last reported the death toll at 50.

Ground zero in Tuscaloosa: Horror and hope, tears and prayers

Fairchild was sitting at home with the father of her baby when she heard a loud noise and looked out the window and saw a tornado heading for her house.

"We ran and just dove under the sink and the whole house lifted up and started to go with the wind, and we were just praying to God the whole time and all I could think about was my baby,” Fairchild said Saturday as she sat in the shelter's cafeteria.

Before the storm had ended, she was running down the hill to see if her mother's home was still there.

"They pulled nails out of my feet where I had to run through my house. We had to climb over a huge tree that landed on our house that was blocking the door, and I had to climb over that tree. I was determined to get to my son."

The child was unharmed. Fairchild's mother and the boy's father also survived, but their homes were destroyed.

Fairchild hopes to leave the shelter soon and move into an apartment. Her first Mother's Day wasn’t supposed to be like this.

"He's a blessing. I get to tell him he lived through a tornado at 8 weeks old."

Post by:
Filed under: Alabama • Tornadoes • Weather
  1. Deecheri

Leicia I hope you're done reading these evil comments by now, they just seem to be getting worse. Satan's lapdogs are fast @ work the night belongs to them. They aren't even aware that they're just pawns. I will be praying for you and your family, stay strong in your faith. What GOD has loved you never can hate!

May 8, 2011 at 1:22 am | Report abuse |
    • BrendansMom

Her house is being ripped from its foundation and you don't see the logic in praying to God. That seems to me to be the perfect time. At that point you need God's help more that ever. Praying doesn't make you a hick, and it must have worked for her. They are all alive to tell their story.

May 8, 2011 at 2:16 am | Report abuse |
  2. Bill Templeton

the hick prays to god as her home is being turned around in the air like a pizza. these people are the pinnacle of illogical!

May 8, 2011 at 1:24 am | Report abuse |
    • bub

Why don't you define hick for us. Is it geographical, social or financial?

May 8, 2011 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
  3. Jeff

You need to reconsider your standards.

May 8, 2011 at 1:24 am | Report abuse |
  4. kristina

I cannot get over these comments. What exactly does this woman and her baby's skin color have anything to do with what happened? I know some of you are just looking for a reaction. No one's heart is that ugly. I just hope that Leicia Fairchild doesn't take any of this ignorance to heart. Because that's all it is.

May 8, 2011 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
  5. Bob Zmuda

Hope she and everybody else can find a safe place to stay as soon as possible. Being uprooted is very hard, and anybody who's had it happen to them knows better than to judge or laugh at somebody else in the same situation.

May 8, 2011 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
  6. John

"I pictured Mother's Day at home with his father, and happy and everything, and it's far from happy. I’m in a shelter with my son," she said. - Your child, yourself, and the father of your child survived. You and your family are lucky to be alive while others haven't been so lucky. I wouldn't call that far from happy.

May 8, 2011 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
  7. Insecureabouturmanhood

May 8, 2011 at 1:28 am | Report abuse |
  8. Kelis

My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard...

May 8, 2011 at 1:32 am | Report abuse |
  9. unretired05

Maybe being unmarried she can turn that child into a six figure income like Bristol Palin. The twitter tweetin twit Sarah could cheer her on.

May 8, 2011 at 1:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Kelis

Let's hope so, because I can bet my life savings her BabyDaddy will NOT be faithful, will spread his seed all over and sire more children with other women.

May 8, 2011 at 1:41 am | Report abuse |
  10. funnypeople

All the skinheads here posting about the kids ethnicity are afraid that maybe their sisters or even mothers are catching it from an "ethnic" guy LOL its too funny to watch but i do kind of feel sorry for them.

May 8, 2011 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |
    • True Freedom to Associate

I feel sorry for Manhood obsessed muh dick people like you.

May 9, 2011 at 1:31 am | Report abuse |
  11. Jessica

Personally I would just be happy to spend mother's day with my child at all.

May 8, 2011 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
  12. slappynutz

couldnt have said it better

May 8, 2011 at 1:39 am | Report abuse |
  13. slappynutz

makes the white girls think they in the hood

May 8, 2011 at 1:40 am | Report abuse |
  14. GetBent666

look, we can all agree that this article sucks as does the situation of the disappearing father, on top of having a baby at 17-20. The father happened to be black but there have also been plenty of white, asian, and italian fathers that freaked out and left their gf right after a baby was born. Now lets all just move on.

May 8, 2011 at 1:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Roland

But black males have a particular penchant for fleeing the scene. Just ask our POTUS.

May 8, 2011 at 1:56 am | Report abuse |
    • GetBent666

at first i thought the baby was working on its tan.

May 8, 2011 at 2:08 am | Report abuse |
  15. white girl

hello does the story not say anything about her " mothers" house ,

May 8, 2011 at 1:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Patrick

Her family probably disowned her.

May 8, 2011 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Christopher

Absolutely... I fail to see what alternative she leaves them in such a case. Anytime you see imagery such as this coming from a mass media source you can be certain of intentional pro-diversity propaganda, as was stated above. If you have to question as to why I would make such a suggestion, then you may rest assured with the knowledge that you are a victim of it. It's simple: as of 2010, mixed-race citizens are less than 3% of the population. On top of this, white-black miscegenation specifically accounts for a fraction of that miniscule percentage. Being aware of this, turn on your television set, open a magazine, or head over to a major news corporation's web site to view an article completely unrelated to miscegenation. If you base your perception of society on media, you may actually believe this sort of thing occurs frequently. Reality is – quite obviously – the polar opposite. White women overwhelmingly prefer to be with white men and are well aware of the dangers and disproportionate level of instability associated with miscegenation, despite the constant media propaganda being directed at them which attempts to present an alternate reality. As for the original statement concerning her family, we musn't ignore the fact that they are (at a minimum) at least partially responsible for the way their daughter turned out. This sort of behavior is frequently the result of one or more types of abuse, miseducation, or even neglect. Even though the media is responsible for irresponsibly advertising this sort of thing as harmless and acceptable, we can see by statistics they are failing miserably to influence white women... but no amount of unbiased or demographically accurate portrayals of our society can ever make up for bad parenting.

May 9, 2011 at 2:31 am | Report abuse |