Jaycee Dugard memoir set for July release
Jaycee Dugard's "A Stolen Life" will be released this summer.
May 9th, 2011

Jaycee Dugard memoir set for July release

Jaycee Dugard, who was held captive for 18 years after her kidnapping by a California couple at age 11, will release a memoir telling "the full story of her ordeal" this summer, the book's publisher said Monday.

Dugard's "A Stolen Life," due in stores July 12, will cover the period from her 1991 abduction to the present, publisher Simon & Schuster said.

"In her stark, compelling narrative, she opens up about what she experienced, including how she feels now since she was found," the publisher said in a news release.

Monday's announcement comes less than two weeks after Phillip Garrido, 60, and Nancy Garrido, 55, pleaded guilty to Dugard’s kidnapping and sexual assault. Both are expected to receive life prison terms at a sentencing hearing scheduled for June 2.

Dugard was 29 when authorities found her in August 2009 in a hidden compound behind the Garridos' home in Antioch, California, about 120 miles from where she grew up. Phillip Garrido, a registered sex offender on parole at the time of his 2009 arrest, sexually assaulted Dugard and fathered two daughters with her during her captivity, authorities said.

Dugard, now 31, was kidnapped in 1991 from the street in front of her home in South Lake Tahoe, California.

Post by:
Filed under: California • Crime • Jaycee Dugard
  1. reader9

Writing is a way to work through things for many people, not only would her therapist have suggested she do this, but knowing she taught her children the best she could with her limited years of schooling and resources I wonder if she had hidden journals she wrote in during her capitivity. Anyone judging a victim like her is just a "mean spirited" person.

May 9, 2011 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • MLB

Anyone judging a victim like her is more than just 'mean spirited'. I honestly believe there is a special corner in hell reserved just for people like that.

I have never understood how somone can be so completely miserable in their life that they would trash someone who has been through such a tragedy. Not just in this case, but in any tragic scenario.

May 10, 2011 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  2. banasy

@Gabe:
    What kind of half-assed statement is that??? You don't think she relives this nightmare every day? And you don't think it's going to be traumatic for her to testify with him sitting right there? Shame on you!!!

May 9, 2011 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy

@Daniel:
    Just as uneducated as you seem to be.

May 9, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  4. beccaName*

Devil

May 9, 2011 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Personally

OFT

Personally, I like how people's posts magically disappear on these threads. cnn moderator magicians!

May 9, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bookenz

They get removed if someone reports them.

May 9, 2011 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Poof

Poof, you write it, ten minutes later it is gone. just write what the moderators like and you will be fine. Poof!

May 9, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Poof

Plus, what's up with the time stamps on posts? No maka sensea......

May 9, 2011 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  8. uhohitsme

This young woman is such a inspiration! I cannot wait to read her book. How courageous of her!

May 9, 2011 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • wow

inspiration? How is living in hell for 18 years inspiration

May 9, 2011 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • JustMe

@wow – she survived to tell the tale didn't she? And apparently with sweetness and dignity intact.

May 9, 2011 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Poofer

@poof: if more than 2 people lodge a complaint, the post is gone. The time stamp is for Eastern Time. If you're in, say, Central time, just deduct an hour.

May 9, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  10. uhohitsme

I don't understand why these sick disgusting criminals (Garridos) don't get the death penalty. We can assassinate Bin Laden, these monsters deserve no less. I hate the thought of those people being allowed to suck the taxpayers dry. The Garridos are 2 good examples of why there should be a death penalty-especially when they admit their guilt.

Jaycee is a hero...very strong young woman to have endured, survived and rise above!

May 9, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Blake T

It cost more for the US to proceed with a Death Penalty than to stick them in Jail depending on most states, especially california

May 9, 2011 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • sean

just kill them now

May 9, 2011 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • jw

"2 good examples of why there should be a death penalty-especially when they admit their guilt"

I'm just guessing, but I think if your suggestion were enacted there would be a lot fewer people admitting their guilt. The benefit of allowing plea deals is that they eliminate costly trials and victims aren't forced to go through the ordeal of testifying.

May 9, 2011 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  11. georjetset

wow...must have been very cathartic for her to write this, and let the world know how she survived these monsters. Gives me the chills, and I look forward for the book.

May 9, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  12. bluemax77

OF COURSE SHE DOES...!!!

May 9, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  13. JC

She received $20 mil and needs to seek a therapist. Whomever told her it was a good idea to do this book was not looking out for her best interest. Take your money, hire some amazing therapists and try to live the rest of what life you have that hasn't been taken away from you yet. This is disgusting. Tell your story to the court and no one else.

May 9, 2011 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Blake T

Your an IDIOT... she obviously wants to express how she felt for the last 18 years. It hurts no one to tell her story, mayber your daughter or niece will experience something as tragic as this one day and this book could be their savior. Read the story and say something positive.. you baffoon.

May 9, 2011 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shelly Jones

Not really. Sometimes people need to put things out. You can say it once in a book and not have to go over and over it again if you don't want to. And some people may benefit from reading about her experiences. As an abuse survivor I like to see how otiher people feel about themselves, their situations. How they are today, etc. It helps me to understand my own feelings. Ultimately if she wants to write a book good for her.

May 9, 2011 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • SusieTX

I am a survivor of childhood abuse and I wrote about my experiences as theraputic homework asked of me by my psychologist. It ended up being several 100 pages. The more I wrote, the more I remembered and it was very good medicine. It never crossed my mind to publish. It was a way to help me understand it better, put it behind me, and walk forward as a survivor. I burned it in my fireplace a month after I wrote it. Only my eyes saw it, and burning it was indeed very cleansing to my soul. Thank God. What Jaycee decides to do is fine with me. Whatever helps her move forward. God Bless Her.

May 9, 2011 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • pazke

Maybe Ms. Dugard feels that publishing her story will help other women who have gone through similar experiences. We don't know her reasons (other than that she doesn't need the money) but we don't need to know them either. If you are interested, read the book. If you are not interested, don't read the book.

May 10, 2011 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
  14. Jeff Frank - (R-Ohio)

Whack 'em !!!

May 9, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Blake T

How is telling a woman to to express her feelings with personal emotion not going to give her closure. You have no idea who this woman is and maybe her "so called money sucking therapist" advised for her to do just this. So once again you are an idiotic BAFFOON!!!!!!

May 9, 2011 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |