Jaycee Dugard memoir set for July release
Jaycee Dugard's "A Stolen Life" will be released this summer.
May 9th, 2011

Jaycee Dugard memoir set for July release

Jaycee Dugard, who was held captive for 18 years after her kidnapping by a California couple at age 11, will release a memoir telling "the full story of her ordeal" this summer, the book's publisher said Monday.

Dugard's "A Stolen Life," due in stores July 12, will cover the period from her 1991 abduction to the present, publisher Simon & Schuster said.

"In her stark, compelling narrative, she opens up about what she experienced, including how she feels now since she was found," the publisher said in a news release.

Monday's announcement comes less than two weeks after Phillip Garrido, 60, and Nancy Garrido, 55, pleaded guilty to Dugard’s kidnapping and sexual assault. Both are expected to receive life prison terms at a sentencing hearing scheduled for June 2.

Dugard was 29 when authorities found her in August 2009 in a hidden compound behind the Garridos' home in Antioch, California, about 120 miles from where she grew up. Phillip Garrido, a registered sex offender on parole at the time of his 2009 arrest, sexually assaulted Dugard and fathered two daughters with her during her captivity, authorities said.

Dugard, now 31, was kidnapped in 1991 from the street in front of her home in South Lake Tahoe, California.

Post by:
Filed under: California • Crime • Jaycee Dugard
  1. JC

Blake T, go play in traffic. You've now spelled 'buffoon' incorrectly twice. If you're going to attempt to insult someone, at least do it with the correct spelling. Her mother set this up. She sorted things with the publication company.
    I am a survivor or abuse myself and I more than agree that it is a good source of healing to write down your feelings and experiences, but to publish them, I think is just a bad idea. Especially since the case hasn't gone to trial yet. The things that girl has been through are personal, traumatic and I truly feel for she and her children. That said, I still do not believe publishing these things would be good for her and would do more damage than anything. She wants to shield her children from the media, but putting herself in the spotlight for more than what is required from her (testimony on the stand) will only place them in tabloids and newspapers.

May 9, 2011 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Unreal

JC- people deal with pain in different ways so try not to judge why she is doing this. It's her decision. Also, they pleaded guilty... I'm fairly certain that means no trial.

May 9, 2011 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark

They've already pleaded guilty and are awaiting sentencing. Jaycee is not going to have to testify. She is clearly an amazingly strong woman, and has an equally amazing story to tell. Perhaps her book will inspire others to be strong in the face of whatever obstacles they face. More power to her!

May 9, 2011 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robo

Being the victim of a tragedy doesn't make anyone amazing – but the fact is, people will be interested to hear her story.
      And she is doing it to make money – which is a great thing to do. Money provides for both herself and her family, and lets face it – her captors robbed her of a lot, and she'll need the money.

Why are people weird about writing a book to make money – it's a normal thing to do.

May 10, 2011 at 1:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Mark W

You should look at your own post before you do post them. You're spell check may not be working either. I am curious, in this post you say "I am a survivor or abuse myself", which is it? And what did you survive, your self abuse?

May 10, 2011 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Mark W

And in my post it should have been your not you're, before you go there.

May 10, 2011 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
  2. banasy

I applaud this young woman for her bravery in the face of this monstrous couple. Those who nay say her writing this book can choose not to read it. She never let her spirit crack, and she did a fine job of protecting her young ones. The fact that she refuses to play the victim role and get on with her life is amazing to me. I wish her and her family well, and hope that she heals both mentally and spiritually. She had my utmost admiration.

May 9, 2011 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jim Weix, Palm City FL

"Both are expected to receive life prison terms at a sentencing hearing scheduled for June 2."

I can think of no punishment that would cruel and painful enough. These 2 morons deserve no mercy for whatthey have done.

May 9, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  4. pollyanna

Have you considered that she might be in immediate need of something far more mundane than closure – like a way to pay her bills and get her daughters enrolled in good schools and support programs? They might all be free now, but ordinary life carries a hefty price tag.

May 9, 2011 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • TRUTH

I could not have said it better. The first thing I thought when reading this article is, the least I can do is purchase this book. The money she earns will no doubt help her and her family financially with all the therapy and schooling....

May 9, 2011 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • alberto

I do not thing she need money, last July she already got, as a settlement, $20mil. from The California's state Assembly.

May 9, 2011 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • alberto

May 9, 2011 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Polly Anna

Alberto – it would be great if they just handed her a $20M check. But (a) just because it got approved does not mean it has actually been paid; (b) I'd bet at least 50% went to her lawyers; (c) unless it was specially structured, it is income and she will have to pay state & federal income taxes off the top; and (d) it is probably to be paid in the form of an annuity so that what is left over is stretched out over 25 or 30 years, and not paid in a lump sum. She could conceivably be receiving about $175K a year from the settlement, but how far will that go when you have three people that need highly specialized therapy?

May 10, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy

And FYI, they pleaded guilty. There is going to be no trial.
    Sentencing is June 2nd.
    Her book comes out July 12th.
    No conflict of interest, except on these blogs, of course.

May 9, 2011 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Kent Eckles

I think this guy ought to be strung up by his b–ls!

May 9, 2011 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  7. JustMe

It's really no one's business how she handles it, if she writes a book or what she needs to do to heal. Or even what she needs to do to make some money. After all, she hasn't been in school since she was 11. It's not your decision. You don't get to decide whether this is damaging or good for her. Don't buy it if you're not interested.

May 9, 2011 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. JC

Pollyanna, she received $20,000,000 last year. She's set for life. No book deal was needed.
    Jim Weix, I am new here to Florida, but every Floridian I've met so far are inbred morons. You are not excluded from this observation.
    If I am the only one here who thinks this is just a sick way for people to make a profit off of this girl's tragic life, then I don't mind being the odd one out. I will refrain from buying her book and just hope that those two people rot or fry and she lives the rest of her life in peace.

May 9, 2011 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Samantha

Hmm. I only lived in Florida for a year, but during that time, not a single Floridian I met qualified as an "inbred moron." I expect drawing conclusions based on location is really inaccurate.

May 9, 2011 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guest

You probably live in a bad area of Florida and all the people you have met are indeed "inbred morons." Maybe if you made a little bit more money, you could move to a decent place. Just saying.

May 10, 2011 at 1:36 am | Report abuse |
  9. sfleming

I dare any of you to judge this girl. God forbid this should happen to any of your daughters. Sometimes when people judge, strange things happen to set them back on the right path.

May 10, 2011 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
    • I support you, Jaycee

Well said. Who are any of us to judge why this woman is writing her story. She's braver than any of us. She's been through hell and is alive to tell about it. She can use her settlement money and book proceeds however she wants. I don't see her in the spotlight like Paris, Snooki and other gross celebs. She's raising her kids and living a quiet life. Good for her!

May 10, 2011 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  10. John Ebeling

I'm sure that she's a very nice woman with an engrossing story.

May 10, 2011 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
  11. Smarter Human

Hope she makes a ton of money off of it. She deserves it.

May 10, 2011 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
  12. Silly Silly

I am glad she is writing a book. To be honest she may have received 20 million from the state, but that by no means will heal or give back her childhood. I say go for the gold girl! Give your daughters what you missed. God Bless you!

May 10, 2011 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  13. nostradoofus

Knock off all the B.S. You all can hardly wait to get your hands on this book. You're lying if you say otherwise. You wouldn't be on this site posting if you had no interest. Stay thirsty.

May 10, 2011 at 1:16 am | Report abuse |
  14. Sara

I can't wait to read her book. I was slightly older than she was and living in the region where she was kidnapped. No matter the motives for writing it, it gives those of us who prayed for her for so long some closure. I was glued to the TV when she was found. Her story is compelling.

May 10, 2011 at 1:43 am | Report abuse |
  15. Jim

She gets $20,000,000 from the tax payers for something the idiot Parole system did? Now that isn't good enough so she wants to make more money by writing a book?

May 10, 2011 at 2:18 am | Report abuse |