Self-proclaimed prophet says massive quake will hit Taiwan on Wednesday
Supplies and shipping container homes were being assembled Tuesday for a doomsday blogger and his believers in Puli, Taiwan.
May 10th, 2011

Self-proclaimed prophet says massive quake will hit Taiwan on Wednesday

A Taiwanese man is predicting that a massive earthquake will strike Taiwan on Wednesday morning, killing more than a million people, but an official with the country's National Science Council says there's no indication of any seismic movements.

The self-proclaimed prophet, a blogger who calls himself Teacher Wang, has predicted that a 14-magnitude quake will strike the island at 10:42:37 a.m. local time Wednesday. It will be followed by a massive tsunami more than 550 feet (170 meters) high on May 17, Wang has said, according to news reports from Taiwan.

"The final countdown has started," the prophet, whose real name is Wang Chao-hung, told Agence France-Presse on Tuesday, according to a report in the Straits Times.

The dual catastrophes will "rip the island in half," Wang has said, according to a report on Focus Taiwan.

Wang has been assembling hundreds of shipping containers in Puli in Nantou County to shelter himself and his followers, the China Post reported. Tons of rice along with bottled water and diesel fuel have been stockpiled, news reports said.

But National Science Council Deputy Minister Chen Cheng-hong told Focus Taiwan that checks of earthquake indicators, including groundwater levels, soil gas composition and magnetic intensity, have given no indication of an impending superquake.

"Everything looks smooth, " Chen told Focus Taiwan.

The largest earthquake ever recorded was a 9.5-magnitude temblor in Chile in 1960, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. March's earthquake off Japan measured 9.0 in magnitude and spawned a deadly tsunami.

Post by:
Filed under: Earthquake • Natural Disasters • Taiwan • Tsunami
  1. Frank

People of the United States of America,Taiwan and the World,
    Since I know as much about predicting earthquakes as the article stated nothing would surprise me due to all the seismic activity around the Pacific RIM.If the animals(dogs,cat,livestock etc.) look like they want to run for the hills then I would say get to the high ground fast.

May 10, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  2. DJC

Some people have so many comments and know everything about everything, except, they do not know how to spell, nor form sentences properly. people, please learn the difference between the words, to and too. example, I have too many dollars, and I am going to the baseball game. Now as for the silly talk about Earthquakes, there is no possible way for any HUMAN being to predict when and where they will occur. Only truth can be found after a careful study within the scriptures of the Holy Bible. A GREAT EARTHQUAKE is yet to come upon the EARTH, and much of my study and awareness points to a specific date: May 21, 2011 will usher in a period of Judgment on the Earth. No man can predict anything, all truths must come from GOD's written word, do not trust any man, only trust the WORD of GOD.

May 10, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aaron

You got it right about turning to Gods word but it has no dates of earthquacks.

May 10, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • kale

By "forming a proper sentence", do you mean not CAPITALIZING random WORDS for no APPARENT reason WHATSOEVER?

Excuse me, Mr. Pot? Mr. Kettle is on line one, sir.

May 10, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Peter

If you are so familiar with the bible, have you read the one about "do not attempt to remove the twig from my eye until you have removed the log from your own"?

May 10, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • hemnebob

here's one for your criticism...

YOO AR FUL OF HOOOOHAAAAAAWWWWW!!!

May 10, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jackie Man

Wonder what the Wangster is going to do with all of those supplies on Thursday? Maybe the moron should send the supplies to Haiti so it won't be a completly wasteful stunt.

May 10, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

Whew! For a minute there, I thought you were going to make a prediction! I'm sure glad you didn't imply that something is going to happen on May 21st!

May 10, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Mary

Does it specifically say "earthquake on May 12, 2011" in the bible or is it a secret message we have to decipher and hunt for? I'm a believer in something out there, and a very spiritual person. But I just don't think God would give us a book that we are supposed to live by, but only after we decipher it and search for the REAL message he is trying to give us. That just does not make any sense! Religion is scary! People are way to serious about what they have been told. I have attempted to read the bible but it's just too much decoding and I've lost my secret Catholic decoder ring!! LOL MARY~

May 10, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • hemnebob

wait a minute mary...
      let me go out and find that talkin snake that eve was friends with and we'll have the answer.

May 10, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • kale

@hemnebob. Within the hour, someone will respond that because 'Science' has never found this talking breed of snake, 'Science' is therefore completely invalid on all counts. 'Science' believes that snakes don't talk, but the Bible clearly proves that they can. Therefore, 'Science' must accept that proof and admit that 'Science' knows nothing.

Wait for it. It'll happen...

Excuse me, everyone. I need to go pray to Osiris so that she will make it rain and my flowers will grow.

May 10, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  4. DJC

A human being cannot even predict the results of a coin flip 10 consecutive times with any consistency, and that is a 50/50 chance to start with. It is POSSIBLE to do, but NOT PROBABLE to be correct.

May 10, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • kale

No, but I can predict that 99% of the time, 4-6 out of 10 will be heads and 4-6 out of 10 will be tails. I can also predict that the sun will rise on May 22nd just like any other day for at least the next 1.5 billion years. It's called rational thought.

It's the same rational thought that disproved the belief that Apollo pulls the sun across the sky, Thor causes thunder, human beings were magically created from dust 5000 years ago, etc.

May 10, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  5. chris

maybe disasters will free man one day from the alienated life of low wages .

May 10, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  6. DJC

Mary,
    The only thing right now that is important, Pray to GOD for his mercy upon you, GOD's mercy is all that we can rely on.
    There is no Church or Pastor or POPE that is responsible for your Salvation, ONLY GOD can provide the Salvation needed in your life. May GOD BLESS you and have MERCY on you!

May 10, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • kale

Here's what I love about this argument. No church, pastor, or pope can be responsible for, or know anything about, 'God', but YOU can. Yet, you also state that no human can know anything. So how do you know what your god wants, thinks, or is planning to destroy with massive earthquakes? If a human cannot predict the fall of a coin, how can you interpret the designs of this all-powerful deity of yours? Just asking what I think are valid questions of someone who apparently has it all figured out.

May 10, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  7. believenothingofthatsort

The bible does not give dates but signs. Please go about your life for there will always be a tomorrow for the earth.

May 10, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  8. kale

DJC,

Just promise me you will be on this board on May 22nd, ok? I'm looking forward to hearing the frenzied bum-covering from you and your doomsday cult friends.

Say hi to David Koresh for me...

May 10, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • DJC

Kale,
      Judgment Day when it happens is not doomsday for anyone trusting GOD and only GOD. No cult or religion of any kind deserves any trust, Look at the back of your dollar bill where it says "IN GOD WE TRUST" that is a good idea to put into practice. I do not want to slam any religion or even any cult, follow only GOD and his promise. I have many friends who do not believe in GOD or any religion of any kind, we all have free will to do as we please, GOD has provided all of us with many great things we do not deserve. Be thankful in everything we are capable of and everything we have.

May 10, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Self proclaimed Prophet (the new One)

A DJC , go fuk your self ? You might like you little b***h !!

May 10, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • kale

Really? I mean, really? I disagree with him too, but...really?

May 10, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Catholic Priest

Do any of you people have any children that need babysitting ? Just asking !!!......

May 10, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • kale

Funny. Wrong...but funny.

May 10, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Harbinger

we can all have kool aod

May 10, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  11. DJC

May 22, 2011 will be another day, May 23, 2011 will be another day, the sun will rise again and again... Memorial Day will be a Holiday, and also July 4, 2011 will be our national holiday, who tells you these day won't be is lying, there will be a Labor Day Holiday in september 2011 also, on and on. Please try and enjoy the Holidays.

May 10, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • kale

Wait, I thought May 21st will usher in a period of judgement with a great earthquake? Now I'm confused.

OK, I have to go live my life now. Have fun with your fairy tales.

May 10, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  12. DJC

GOD is in control of everything, there is no need to be frightened or angry, that will not keep GOD from his promisses concerning his Judgment Day, any people in cults or following any man will also be in Judgment as well as anyone disobeying GOD's Laws. I only listen to what GOD is teaching through his written word, I do not care about what others are saying, people, please treat one another with respect, and Pray for everyone, we are all on this planet for a purpose.

May 10, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • kale

Just like Zeus.

May 10, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  13. DJC

Do not trust me or any other person, LOOK into GOD's written word, I do not trust any ideas I may have, my trust is in the Written Word of GOD. Each of us is accountable only to GOD, my opinion means nothing and has no value just as your opinion means nothing and has no value.
    I do not deserve any Salvation of any kind, that is left to GOD to decide my fate, I can only live each day of my life as it were my last, there is no guarantee that any of us will be alive the next day.

May 10, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Indra

If he is right, it won't be a good thing. If he is wrong, eh just another person who needs attention even if it's negative. There will always be people willing to follow others no matter how stupid or silly they may seem. One of my gfs is having a kick-ass bbq may 21st. I doubt the world will end but if it does I'm going down partying with good friends. I really want to call all the "crackpots" May 22nd and ask..."So...did your world end? Because mine didn't...they'll expect you back @ work Monday..."

May 10, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • DJC

Indra,
      The world will not end on MAY 21, 2011, anyone who says this is not being truthful with you.

May 10, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

NO! The world CAN'T end on May 21, 2011. I have plans on Dec 22, 2012, so can someone please cancel this earlier doomsday?

May 10, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  15. DJC

GOD bless everyone here, and trust GOD will provide all wisdom necessary to get you through each day. GOD will not give up on us, so don't give up on GOD.

May 10, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |