Self-proclaimed prophet says massive quake will hit Taiwan on Wednesday
Supplies and shipping container homes were being assembled Tuesday for a doomsday blogger and his believers in Puli, Taiwan.
May 10th, 2011

Self-proclaimed prophet says massive quake will hit Taiwan on Wednesday

A Taiwanese man is predicting that a massive earthquake will strike Taiwan on Wednesday morning, killing more than a million people, but an official with the country's National Science Council says there's no indication of any seismic movements.

The self-proclaimed prophet, a blogger who calls himself Teacher Wang, has predicted that a 14-magnitude quake will strike the island at 10:42:37 a.m. local time Wednesday. It will be followed by a massive tsunami more than 550 feet (170 meters) high on May 17, Wang has said, according to news reports from Taiwan.

"The final countdown has started," the prophet, whose real name is Wang Chao-hung, told Agence France-Presse on Tuesday, according to a report in the Straits Times.

The dual catastrophes will "rip the island in half," Wang has said, according to a report on Focus Taiwan.

Wang has been assembling hundreds of shipping containers in Puli in Nantou County to shelter himself and his followers, the China Post reported. Tons of rice along with bottled water and diesel fuel have been stockpiled, news reports said.

But National Science Council Deputy Minister Chen Cheng-hong told Focus Taiwan that checks of earthquake indicators, including groundwater levels, soil gas composition and magnetic intensity, have given no indication of an impending superquake.

"Everything looks smooth, " Chen told Focus Taiwan.

The largest earthquake ever recorded was a 9.5-magnitude temblor in Chile in 1960, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. March's earthquake off Japan measured 9.0 in magnitude and spawned a deadly tsunami.

Post by:
Filed under: Earthquake • Natural Disasters • Taiwan • Tsunami
  1. SBT-22

Can i get the powerball numbers for friday.......

May 10, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • aaron

4, 16, 31, 33, 42 and PB 12

May 10, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Roy Rogers

What is this guy talking about? There are no Magnitude 14 Earth Quakes. Though south America could see some shaking at the end of the month.

May 10, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Swamped

I'm curious. I'll be watch'n to see how this pans out......

May 10, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Catholic Priest

Hey Djc , do u have a confession to make u little sinner ? I would like baby sit your kids or maybe your little brother or sister ,do u trust me , u should because i am a Man of GOD .... And if you dont trust me WELL THEN U R GOING TO BURN IN BURN IN HELL FOR YOUR SINS
    !!!!..... U SINNER....!!!!....

May 10, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Dave B

Actually, earthquakes can go higher than ten on the scale. The meteor which struck the Yucatan 70 million years ago created an earthquake estimated to be almost 14 on the Richter scale.

May 10, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Swamped

@ Dave B

Sooooooo, maybe? we should be looking for a meteor strike, instead??

May 10, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

@ Dave B: Theoretically, I suppose there is no upper limit to the Richter scale. But a meteor impact is not a tectonic event. I suppose if the Death Star blew up the earth, that might be over 14+ as well. 🙂
      Another puzzle this brings up is why, after this massive quake does it take nearly a week for the tsunami to arrive? I can see this genius has a strong background in geology!
      I just hope he doesn't persuade his sheep to eat the pudding!

May 10, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  6. YIKES!!!

God? Gods mercy? The Bible? False Prophets? Seriously? Theses are all tools to cause people to fear the unknown. A source of control... How is this any different than the prophet in Tawain? The Bible was written by man... Not a supernatural being. Churches bring in billions of dollars donated by their sheep. A book written thousands of years ago, and yet modern man still profess its trueness. The natural world will continue to evolve with natural disasters as it has since the begining of recorded time. Not even the USGS is able to predict Earthquakes. (waiting to read the remarks written because of this opinion) lol

May 10, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Swamped

@ YIKES!!!

God is supernatural. That's what sets Him apart......

You may need a refresher course in the book of REVELATION. It prepares the mind for what the heart cannot concive.

??

May 10, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Harbinger

The bible was written by man as the Gods/Goddess were created by man in the dark ages as a way to give comfort and to explain the unexplainable.
      As we process and increase or knowledge God and religion begins to fade , the process of evolution, but there will always be the blind who cannot see the truth and insist that a unknown all powerful being created and controls all.
      And it will always be used as an excuse to cause war and kill or control people all in the name of religion.

May 10, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Swamped

@ Harbinger

You sound just like by brother! That's OK –I still love him : )

God spoke, and the person receiving the message wrote it down. Sometimes it was word for word. Sometimes it was more of an impression. None the less, it was a message. Usefull then, usefull today.

I believe. I'm hanging on to it!

May 10, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jack

I'm looking forward to Thursday's follow-up to this story.

May 10, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. mark c

I just want to yawn. Another nut case making predictions

May 10, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  9. DJC

If there is no GOD's word than how do any of us know right from wrong? Then who sets the standard for how we are to treat each other, in other words, who says it is wrong to kill another human being or to cheat or steal from someone.
    If no one is accountable to GOD then I guess it is okay to have a free for all. Who made all these crazy laws we have to follow. Why is our government forcing us to pay taxes, that is our money and not theirs, right?
    Please let me know who sets the standards for anything, over in the Middle Eastern countries, the standards for how they treat women in society is unacceptable to most people. So it is silly for any man to set the standards for anything, this might be the reason the world is always at war. GOD will be the final authority over all mankind, whether or not we like it. This playground we call earth will be taken away at a time determined by GOD, I have numerous projects that will be incomplete, I cannot do anything about that fact. The only thing I can do is accept the fact that we come into the world with nothing and leave with nothing. The same will apply to all the churches and internet cults, and bible website owners and wealthy prophets of all kinds, as well as non-believers.
    I am just like each and every human being, I would like to see my kids get married and have grand children and see them grow up, and have all the things and more that I have had, but, it is not for me to control, GOD will take care of the business he controls.

May 10, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stephanie

Actually, the least religious countries also have the lowest crime level. Religiosity is highest in .... you guessed it, prisons. Going by these little facts would seem to indicate that religiosity and the belief in a supreme being actually increase criminality instead of what you are claiming my friend.

May 10, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Philip Hades

A little scale here. According to wikkipedia a magnitude 14 earthquake would be more than a magnitude MORE massive than the Yucatán Peninsula impact of an asteroid that is thought to have wiped out the dinosaurs. and is 4.5 orders of magnitude greater than earthquake ever recorded by man.

May 10, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy

Kale, you are cracking me up.

I do not believe ant silly self-proclaimed prophet. I do not believe in the Mayan calendar, of which of all of them found, only 1 has the December 2012 as the end, probably because the ones carving it were interrupted for some reason. All of the rest of them go on. If I gave a person a calendar that had, oh say, August through December of that year torn out, and they truly thought the world was going to end July 31, I would get that person to a qualified therapist immediately!
    I do not believe the Rapture will occur on May 21st, no matter how many spammers post their web site here. I just do not believe it!

The Bible can be interpreted many ways. Unfortunately, all we ever hear about are the whack-jobs that interpret it in the worst way, and then give stupid dates to further inflame the zealots. Just...think for yourself!

May 10, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  12. DJC

Stephanie,
    Religion is all based on man's terrible ideas, and criminals are taught that it is ok to commit crimes and that GOD will forgive you, so then man believes he can do anything he wants and it is okay, now some countries prohibit religion, in the effort to control the masses, just like churches have controlled people and taught their doctrines. It has always been a power struggle between nations and churches, and both have been far from the truth of the Bible.
    It is plain to see why there are so many atheists, they look and see how the phony self professed Christians conduct their lives, and it is very easy to see their point.
    I realized many years ago, when I walked away from the Catholic Church, I wanted nothing to do with any religions of any kind. So after many years of not even thinking about any of this, I wanted to learn what GOD has to say in the Bible about everything, and I will tell you, the truth is not in the Church.
    My faith is entirely in GOD and no one or no church of any kind.

May 10, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  13. YIKES!!!

@swamped... The book of Revelations teaches.. What exactly? .. Fears of the unknown, and how to become sheep of a supposed prophet? Fear of an upcoming event, which, none can predict? Is this idealism not the same as those in eastern countries, who are killing in the name of god, allah, or whom ever is believed to be the supreme natural being of mankind? Seriously? Believe as u please, if doing so makes u a better person to all mankind. Some of us don't need an idealism in order to treat humankind with love, respect, and kindness everyday.

May 10, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • DJC

My question is who defines what is Love, Respect, or Kindness??? Is there a CONSENSUS we should pattern the defintions by??? We all have different ideas of what this should be, and is this from within or is this taught to us from an external source of some kind?

May 10, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Swamped

@ YIKES!!!

I'm cooking dinner....answer in just a bit.

May 10, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Swamped

@ YIKES!!!

I do my best to live with love, respect and kindness every day. That may be no different than you.

As a follower of Jesus, I also do my best to keep learning about the Kingdom of God. Maybe? that is the difference between you and me.

The book of REVELATION is pictures, ideas, wonder, puzzles, instructions, encouragement, prophesy, glory, holiness, angels, demons, God's love, God's wrath...... Since I have dreams and visions myself, (free movies while sleeping and awake) I can only tell you that God is. I believe the Bible is pointing in the right direction.

As far as the "Fear" factor is concerned with these people....seems to me they are prepairing? If you can't get out of the way, sorta thinking?

I do not fear the one who kills the body. I fear the one who kills the soul.

–Works for me! : )

P.S. Dinner was good!

May 10, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  14. DJC

I have realized one important thing, GOD is perfect in every way, although I will never claim to fully understand GOD as that is impossible for any man to do. Now having said this you may fire away at me for saying these things, GOD has in fact blessed me with more things in life than I deserve, my kids may not think that is true, but after all, they always seem to want more and more of everything beyond the saturation point.

May 10, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • teresa, snOhio

you are one of US lucky ones: we KNOW even if we have no material possessions, that GOD indeed has blessed us beyong anything WE deserve. Dont judge yourself on what your kids think. They will come round to your way of thinking ; )

May 10, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Donna Matthews

There are time clues in the bible that are being revealed at this time, it is not mans interpretation, but careful comparing of scripture.why not check it out, you can go on You Tube, or Family Radio.com, and consider what God declares, there indeed is an end of time,and a Judgement Day whether we like it or not.there is still a little more than 10 days to cry out to Him,before the earthquake when the door to salvation will be shut! "A broken and contrite heart He will not despise"

May 10, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |