Self-proclaimed prophet says massive quake will hit Taiwan on Wednesday
Supplies and shipping container homes were being assembled Tuesday for a doomsday blogger and his believers in Puli, Taiwan.
May 10th, 2011

Self-proclaimed prophet says massive quake will hit Taiwan on Wednesday

A Taiwanese man is predicting that a massive earthquake will strike Taiwan on Wednesday morning, killing more than a million people, but an official with the country's National Science Council says there's no indication of any seismic movements.

The self-proclaimed prophet, a blogger who calls himself Teacher Wang, has predicted that a 14-magnitude quake will strike the island at 10:42:37 a.m. local time Wednesday. It will be followed by a massive tsunami more than 550 feet (170 meters) high on May 17, Wang has said, according to news reports from Taiwan.

"The final countdown has started," the prophet, whose real name is Wang Chao-hung, told Agence France-Presse on Tuesday, according to a report in the Straits Times.

The dual catastrophes will "rip the island in half," Wang has said, according to a report on Focus Taiwan.

Wang has been assembling hundreds of shipping containers in Puli in Nantou County to shelter himself and his followers, the China Post reported. Tons of rice along with bottled water and diesel fuel have been stockpiled, news reports said.

But National Science Council Deputy Minister Chen Cheng-hong told Focus Taiwan that checks of earthquake indicators, including groundwater levels, soil gas composition and magnetic intensity, have given no indication of an impending superquake.

"Everything looks smooth, " Chen told Focus Taiwan.

The largest earthquake ever recorded was a 9.5-magnitude temblor in Chile in 1960, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. March's earthquake off Japan measured 9.0 in magnitude and spawned a deadly tsunami.

Post by:
Filed under: Earthquake • Natural Disasters • Taiwan • Tsunami
  1. banasy

@DJC:

Why does one have to have a blueprint to be kind, loving, and respectful? I consider myself to be kind, loving, and respectful...and I didn't need a book to tell me to be that way. And yes, I've read the Bible. That's not where I learned it from.

Everyone has a moral compass...sometimes peoples don't necessarily point North. I'd like to think mine does.

May 10, 2011 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • DJC

many people have a form of godliness and in their pride they may deny GOD has anything to do with it.

May 10, 2011 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Linari

Time clues? Did they just materialize now? Was the Bible printed with some invisible ink? You may call it careful comparing of the scriptures, but in the end, it's dependent on interpretation. As it always was. Where was all the comparing back in, oh, the year 1500? Don't you think someone might have written down definitively these dates, and just put them into the Bible?
    Oh, come on! Why all the smoke and mirrors?

May 10, 2011 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Donna Matthews

Linari:God has a timetable for the revealing of truth, He calls it "meat in due season",God is in control of all things,as He patiently waits to fulfill His plan to "have a people for Himself"the world will not teach us this,we are taught that God is whatever you say He is.He defines Himself only in His Word, the Bible.

May 10, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • DJC

The time and judgment has been revealed to all of GOD's elect, only those who have their spritual eyes open will understand meanings and teachings from the Bible. Only GOD can make us understand Time and Judgment, that is to say we will become "Wise" and that Day will NOT overtake us as a thief in the night!

May 10, 2011 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  4. kdh1960

Party @Mt. Rushmore May 12, 2011 12:00 am. Be there or be square!
    Oh BTW its BYOB.

May 10, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • kdh1960

I messed up...LOL May 22,2012 got confused with the other end of the world date ... Dec 12, 2012.. How silly of me!

May 10, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  5. kdh1960

Too much religion is too much faith in the belief of everything but yourself.. Stop and smell the roses!
    If you don't stand for something,
    You will fall for anything!!

May 10, 2011 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  6. DJC

I can and do agree too much RELIGION is no good! Any and all RELIGION has come from man's attempt to control PEOPLE and their MONEY. Using GOD as an excuse to scam via the Church or Cult or Internet Website is an ABOMINATION.
    Yes, stop and smell the roses, but remember who created everything we enjoy so much, it was not the Church, not the Cult, not the Internet Website, EVERYTHING WAS CREATED and ALLOWED by GOD.

May 10, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  7. YIKES!!!

Love = Treat others as I want to be treated. Kindeness = If u have a need and I have extra, what I have is yours... At no cost, it's free for u to have. Respect = Acknowledge and accept that others belief differs from my own. My opinions are neither right, nor are they wrong, they are simply..mine. Just as your opinions belong to you. I will not attempt to change your mind or tell u that ur wrong because u don't agree with me. I will read and contemplate ur opinion out of respect for u. Thank goodness that we are all practicing our 1st ammendment right... Freedom of Speach 😉

May 10, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  8. leeintulsa

May 10, 2011 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  9. leeintulsa

@DJC: So abortion's cool, then. And weed. And alcohol. Party on, folks! Just tell em god did it.

May 10, 2011 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  10. leeintulsa

Back to the topic, where does one get 'followers', and how many does it take to make the news?

May 10, 2011 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  11. YIKES!!!

@KDH... lol... how silly of U to mix up these dates. I love that phrase... Silly!

May 10, 2011 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  12. YIKES!!!

@Swamped.. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I will take your wisdom into consideration...much appreciated. P.S. Glad U enjoyed ur dinner 😉

May 10, 2011 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  13. DJC

I think it is time to go calendarless! no more calendars, no more keeping track of hours or days, then no one can set any dates for anything. And the Sun and the Moon that we use for keeping track of time, well lets ignore the trip the earth takes around the sun, this way I won't have to worry about being a year older all the time. I would also want weekends to last longer than two days, so from this point on, I declare weekends to be 4 days, and I will work about 2 Days and then again my 4 Days for my weekends. My boss at work will probably like this also. I still want my regular paycheck too!
    GET RID OF THAT RIDICULOUS TIMECLOCK AND THROW AWAY THAT ROLEX!

May 11, 2011 at 1:07 am | Report abuse |
    • DJC

I forgot to say, now GOD won't know when Judgment Day should be, this will keep it from happening on May 21, 2011, lets pass a law to change time and dates so we can be safe from this ASAP.

May 11, 2011 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
  14. Jesus Fernandez

If people really believe he is a profit, then I am one too!

May 11, 2011 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  15. Swamped

The day is young.....I've made my share of blunders, too!

May 11, 2011 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |