Man dies in jump from world's tallest building
The Burj Khalifa towers above the Dubai skyline.
May 10th, 2011

Man dies in jump from world's tallest building

A man committed suicide Tuesday by jumping off the 147th floor of the world's tallest building, the Burj Khalifa in Dubai.

The man landed on a deck on the 108th floor of the 160-story structure, according to news reports from Dubai.

Dubai police confirmed the suicide, according to a report posted by The Gulf Today.

The man was described as an Asian in his mid-30s.

"The deceased works at one of the companies located at Burj Khalifa itself. We also came to know that the man decided to commit suicide as his company refused to grant  leave," a police official told The Gulf Today.

The Burj Khalifa is 2,716.5 feet tall and is the tallest free-standing structure in the world. It officially opened in 2010.

Post by:
Filed under: Dubai • World
  1. bobster26

someone in the office was playing with paper airplanes and he thought they were going to fly them into the building so he got scared and jumped. It's not a consperacy people.

May 10, 2011 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  2. bobster26

He didn't want to wear the king kong suit.

May 10, 2011 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  3. James

the treatment of indian and bangladeshi workers in dubai is nothing short of scandalous. ethically minded people should boycott dubai entirely until things change. the glimmering city is built by near slaves.

May 10, 2011 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • hassan

but even than all of those Indians are desperate to go to Dubai..

May 11, 2011 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Pommao

James...where do you live? USA? who works on all the farms? Who built the railroads? How is the homeless situation? How do you treat your native population? No one is forced to go to Dubai to work, they go for the same reason all of the illegal immigrants go to the USA, because the situation in their own country is worse than having to live under the threat of arrest, deportation and also attacks from people...all to live "in the land of the free"

May 11, 2011 at 4:11 am | Report abuse |
  4. tom in TX

He probably killed himself because he had to live in Dubai.

May 10, 2011 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • aggroman 79

Better Dubai than Dallas...

May 17, 2011 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Me

Dallas is WAY better than Dubai.

May 22, 2011 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
    • USMC79

If I owned Texas and hell, I would rent out Texas and live in hell!

June 1, 2011 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
    • paul

I hate self mutilates

June 3, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  5. AbuDhabiDude

Abu Dhabi for life. This is proof that Abu Dhabi is the best in the palnet.

May 10, 2011 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • S1N

How, exactly, is a man jumping to his death to get out of going back to work (which denied him a vacation) proof that Abu Dhabi is "the best"? One man committing suicide doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad place, but I don't see any travel agents using it as a selling point any time soon.

May 30, 2011 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
    • pace

planet

June 7, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Bob

I kind of feel bad for the guy that he didn't make it all the way to the ground. I am sure that his goal was to die by hitting the ground as opposed to hitting 2/3 of the way up.

May 11, 2011 at 12:51 am | Report abuse |
    • TVDude

Either way he was toast.

May 11, 2011 at 2:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Babar

I was thinking the same thing – disappointment. But, after all, the DID refuse to grant him leave. What's a guy to do?

May 22, 2011 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Ryan

Perhaps a little too early for a sales pitch.

May 11, 2011 at 1:13 am | Report abuse |
  8. G-May

Yes I need insurance can you sign me up.

May 11, 2011 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
  9. Robert

WE DON'T NEED 100 POSTS ABOUT SKYDIVING! USE THE FREAKING "REPLY" LINK, PEOPLE!

May 11, 2011 at 1:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Todd Palin

Actually Robert...many more than 100 comments on here. I hope you don't get so mad that you go to dubai and attempt to beat this guy's record...wait yes i do. I'll even buy your plane ticket.

May 17, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

So Robert, do you think he could have parachuted from where he jumped? would you parachute from where he jumped? If you do, use a parachute.

May 18, 2011 at 4:53 am | Report abuse |
    • cm

Was that the Palin man commenting from Alaska? OMG

May 24, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

So who made you the cop in charge of posting??

May 28, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • ELADAVE

Couldn't help myself. phooey.

May 31, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • pace

Love you Todd

June 7, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Big Paulie

You deserve to fall victim to a home invasion after using a death notice as a sales pitch. Filthy cur.

May 11, 2011 at 1:39 am | Report abuse |
  11. giggidydo

Holy (R@P that's a tall building!!!

May 11, 2011 at 1:57 am | Report abuse |
  12. Ben

Damn...there are some seriously some dumb people reading cnn. I include myself.

May 11, 2011 at 2:06 am | Report abuse |
    • zoundsman

You can't be all dumb. Catch 22: " If you think you're crazy, then you're probably not."

May 30, 2011 at 4:32 am | Report abuse |
  13. Chris Jerico

And they call South African team as chockers!!

May 11, 2011 at 2:11 am | Report abuse |
    • pace

go back to wrestling!~

June 7, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jyuma

Oh wow, so glad you posted that. In case I get the urge to jump off a tall building anytime soon I know now that I should call Pathway Insurance in Cincinnati to get suicide insurance first. How inconsiderate of me to inconvenience my family with not only the horror of dealing with the psychological implications of my actions but the financial burden as well. As long as I buy a big enough policy they might even thank me, right? Thanks London T, should I ask for you directly when I call?

May 11, 2011 at 2:29 am | Report abuse |
  15. Ice

What? He should have quit work and move on with his life; look 4 another job; maybe he had gone on leave last week and wanted another this week ...was he ailing or something; its SAD but kind of trick to feel pity on him coz he decided it was the end and he just jumped.

May 11, 2011 at 2:42 am | Report abuse |
    • chuck

a lot of people do not realize exactly what it is like in dubai. The workers that build the building over there and the infrastructure of dubai.....streets...buidlings.....sewers...are mostly asian, afganastanies, pakistanies and once they are there working for these companies, there passports are taken away. It is basically slave labor. The workers live in deplorable conditions in "work camps" around the outskirts of the city and are bussed in. Had I not of been there on a trip, I wouldn't have believed it, but dubai may seem all glitsy and modern, but the way they treat the "common" man has little to be desired. You can find info on this online about how workers were fleeing dubai for awhile leaving abandoned cars at the airports fleeing before there passports where taken away while they still had the chance.

May 14, 2011 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • RadicalHonesty

What Chuck said is true. I was going to write a similar post.

May 28, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Curious about Dubai

Chuck: Any idea on where I can get more information on life in Duba and how people are treatedi? I was quite surprised by your post and want to learn more about what life is like in Dubai. Did you visit or actually work there? My understanding is that there are quite a few Americans working there and have heard that they have faced some discrimination as well.

June 1, 2011 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |