Man dies in jump from world's tallest building
The Burj Khalifa towers above the Dubai skyline.
May 10th, 2011

Man dies in jump from world's tallest building

A man committed suicide Tuesday by jumping off the 147th floor of the world's tallest building, the Burj Khalifa in Dubai.

The man landed on a deck on the 108th floor of the 160-story structure, according to news reports from Dubai.

Dubai police confirmed the suicide, according to a report posted by The Gulf Today.

The man was described as an Asian in his mid-30s.

"The deceased works at one of the companies located at Burj Khalifa itself. We also came to know that the man decided to commit suicide as his company refused to grant  leave," a police official told The Gulf Today.

The Burj Khalifa is 2,716.5 feet tall and is the tallest free-standing structure in the world. It officially opened in 2010.

Post by:
Filed under: Dubai • World
  1. BigPoppaPump

You watch, somebody will fly a plane or two into that thing.

May 23, 2011 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  2. Thomas

Why can't these people do the math. Very tall buildings are rarely straight up and down. Most need to have a staggered construction.

While this guy jumped from the 147th floor, he impacted on the 108th floor. That's only 39 floors. He would have done better to find a 40+ story building that is straight up and jumped from there.

May 23, 2011 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  3. Honest

IN ALL HONESTY-NOTHING IN THIS WORLD IS TOO BIG TO HANDLE TO TAKE ANYONE TO THE EXTREME OF KILLING THEMSELVES. I HAVE BEEN THROUGH CRAP THAT I ALWAYS WONDER WHY WHY WHY WHY, MOLESTATION, DISSAPOINTMENTS, VIOLENCE, HATRED AND MUCH MORE. WHAT DOESN'T KILL ME-CAN ONLY MAKE ME STRONGER.I'D RATHER BE DEAD THAN SUFFER. BUT THEN I ALWAYS THINK SUICIDE IS THE EASY WAY OUT OF SOMETHING I CAN'T SOLVE BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE FAITH OR HOPE THAT THERE IS A LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL. CHEER UP SUICIDIAL PEOPLE AND SNAP OUT OF IT!

May 23, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Grumpster

There's a button called CAPS LOCK....use it.

May 23, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Xerxes 2011

I wonder how he would feel, if he had some how, some way, he survived? What would his thoughts be? "omg! someone finish the job i started for the love of god!"

May 23, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  5. Grumpster

HIT THE DECK!!! Guess he may have taken that the wrong way?

May 23, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Tommy

Are you sure that it was not a failed terrorist attack? Did he have a bomb hidden under his clothes?

May 23, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Rob M

Why do a bunch of people have to respond to one idiotic post with the same claim about skydiving. Seriously, we don't need 30 "umm, skydiving?" comments. The first poster to refute the original idiotic comment is all we needed – what a space saver. But I guess everyone has to prove that they know about skydiving!

May 24, 2011 at 7:37 am | Report abuse |
  8. Zee

Hey, so you guys are completely retarded.
    Yeah.
    How old are you guys? Like 30? 40?
    Well, I'm 18. And I know, I KNOW that it is not the fall that kills you, just like Mr. Science, or whatever said. It is, in fact, the impact of hitting the ground. Because, if you fall from, let's say, the world's tallest building, and hit the ground, your bones will break, your organs will erupt. In skydiving, however, you have a parachute. Therefore, you will NOT hit the ground. Your bones will NOT break. Your organ will NOT erupt. So, if you must despute the topic, please, PLEASE, pick something less idiotic to dispute it with.

May 24, 2011 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
    • wsj

That's great. Welcome to 14 days ago.

May 24, 2011 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tyler that one guy

Do you want to marry me?

May 25, 2011 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  9. Jay

wait a minute! this is all part of the new tom cruise movie...mission impossible
    . . .that guy should be getting up any second now...lol

May 24, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  10. banasy

Can you just imagine the mess that made?! Can we say "chop suey"

May 24, 2011 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • sanjosemike

It's a pity he didn't take a Quran with him. That would get two birds with one stone. Except that neither can fly.

May 25, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Tyler that one guy

Hah. These comments crack me up. Aside from that I'm starting to wonder if everyone just copy and pasted the comments right before them, and who organizes the way these comments are organized? It's terrible.

May 25, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  12. Zee

@Tyler, yes.
    and yeah, I know I'm late, but those were the top comments when I looked so, uhm, yeah, mind your own(:

May 25, 2011 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  13. Sean

no video?

May 25, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

Stiories like this bring out the shear animal in some people. Suicide is a serious problem and the height of this building seems to be taking center stage more than the problems of the suicide victim. Too bad – we're missing the point.

By the way......Dubai is far more interesting and stimulating than Dallas because it isn't in Texas. Comments to the contrary indicate the person has visited neither and isn't likely to anytime soon. I have visited both and base my opinion on the experiences gained/had in both. And I live in San Antonio.

May 25, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

Personal to Raven: You have no clue as to what you're talking about. In the military I regularly parachuted from 8-10,000 feet and had no problems. You are a keyboard commando.

May 25, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |