Man dies in jump from world's tallest building
The Burj Khalifa towers above the Dubai skyline.
May 10th, 2011

Man dies in jump from world's tallest building

A man committed suicide Tuesday by jumping off the 147th floor of the world's tallest building, the Burj Khalifa in Dubai.

The man landed on a deck on the 108th floor of the 160-story structure, according to news reports from Dubai.

Dubai police confirmed the suicide, according to a report posted by The Gulf Today.

The man was described as an Asian in his mid-30s.

"The deceased works at one of the companies located at Burj Khalifa itself. We also came to know that the man decided to commit suicide as his company refused to grant  leave," a police official told The Gulf Today.

The Burj Khalifa is 2,716.5 feet tall and is the tallest free-standing structure in the world. It officially opened in 2010.

Post by:
Filed under: Dubai • World
  1. sanjosemike

He jumped because his company wouldn't grant leave? Here in the US there are people standing in line to get work. They would gladly take his job, leave or not. Does this re-define lazyness? Is this the problem with too much oil wealth?

May 25, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Lola

How long did it take to reach the ground?

May 25, 2011 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Blair

Probably several hour until they carried him down. He didn't hit the ground... he hit the 108th floor.

May 26, 2011 at 2:26 am | Report abuse |
  3. Re: The Simple Truth

Don't mean to poop on anyone's parade. But as an experienced ex-paratrooper with the 82nd Airborne Division it's not the height that flattens your sweet ass goodbye, it's the sudden stop when landing. TaTa folks

May 26, 2011 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
  4. Dana

I sure hope this guy's body went into shock and fainted before he hit the 108th deck!! what a crazy dude, at least he took himself out instead of taking it out on anyone else......

May 26, 2011 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  5. Chris

I have to disagree with all the "brilliant" people who talk about 'knowing' the aerodynamics of skydiving. I parachuted last year from 11,500 feet and at 8,000 feet I reached terminal velocity according to one of my co-jumpers filming me. At that point in time I passed out due to the inability to breathe and did not come to until 45 minutes later. I'm fine now but I am still offended when people tell me to get my head out of my a**. It wasn't funny then and I still find it hurtfull now.

May 26, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Chris

I have to disagree with all the "brilliant" people who talk about 'knowing' the aerodynamics of skydiving. I parachuted last year from 12,500 feet and at 8,100 feet I reached terminal velocity according to one of my co-jumpers filming me. At that point in time I passed out due to the inability to breathe and did not come to until 45 minutes later. I'm fine now but I am still offended when people tell me to get my head out of my a**. It wasn't funny then and I still find it hurtfull now.

May 26, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • christy

I go 9'gs because it's fun. I like it. Rememeber to breath, just like to tie your shoe or when you must sit on a toilet. tThese are common sence things. Sky diving is boring to me, but I guess it's the size of my cajones.

June 1, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Chris

I have to disagree with all the "brilliant" people who talk about 'knowing' the aerodynamics of skydiving. I parachuted last year from 11,500 feet and at 8,000 feet I reached terminal velocity according to one of my co-jumpers filming me. At that point in time I passed out due to the inability to breathe so it DOES happen and did not come to until 76 minutes later. I'm fine now but I am still offended when people tell me to get my head out of my a**. It wasn't funny then and I still find it hurtfull now.

May 26, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Melina319

I'm sorry that you decided to jump out of a plane and it didn't go well, but could you please stop posting the same thing over and over? That would be great, thanks.

May 26, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Melina319

Why is this considered news? So, some idiot killed himself... who cares. If he doesn't care about his life why should I? I refuse to think of him as a "victim." I do think it's selfish to do it in such a way that puts others in danger and destroys property, as it surely must have. Natural selection is doing its job. And you goofballs talking about skydiving really should get a life. Or find a website devoted to skydivng and put your posts there.

May 26, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • wow

For someone who doesn't care, you sure have a hellava lot to say.

May 30, 2011 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
  9. vr13

He only made 39 foors. What a waist of effort. He could have jumped from our office building with better results.

May 27, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Anurag

And all of you find this Article funny?

May 27, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Frank vel

is this post really coming from Todd Palin of Sarah Palin??

May 27, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  12. The R.O.T.P.

partial epic fail he didn't even reach the ground.....

May 27, 2011 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  13. John

What an awful thing to see on your deck I'm sure it was not pretty. That's a tall building. How high do they want to go? Why don't they go down is there some kind of reason that going up is better? I suppose digging down is more expensive, but at least you won't have people leaping to their deaths although I'm sure they'd find other methods of doing the deed.

May 27, 2011 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paul

Makes sense digging down, plenty of fresh air and beautiful views! RIGHT

May 28, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  14. tutuvabene

Won't give me leave will you! I'l show you. I'm outta here, permanently!l

May 28, 2011 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
    • DisgruntledGrrl

Yeah makes ya wonder why quitting wasn't an option.

May 30, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Sakura

"Man dies in jump from world's tallest building" .... you think?

May 28, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |