Man dies in jump from world's tallest building
The Burj Khalifa towers above the Dubai skyline.
May 10th, 2011

Man dies in jump from world's tallest building

A man committed suicide Tuesday by jumping off the 147th floor of the world's tallest building, the Burj Khalifa in Dubai.

The man landed on a deck on the 108th floor of the 160-story structure, according to news reports from Dubai.

Dubai police confirmed the suicide, according to a report posted by The Gulf Today.

The man was described as an Asian in his mid-30s.

"The deceased works at one of the companies located at Burj Khalifa itself. We also came to know that the man decided to commit suicide as his company refused to grant  leave," a police official told The Gulf Today.

The Burj Khalifa is 2,716.5 feet tall and is the tallest free-standing structure in the world. It officially opened in 2010.

Post by:
Filed under: Dubai • World
  1. Kate

Tony, I know my geography but apparently you have a problem with comprehension. No Asian flew into the Twin Towers. It clearly stated in the article the man was Asian. The original comment was posted about Arabs.

May 10, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

Assuming that the hijackers were from Iraq, Afghanistan then technically yes they are in fact Asian.

May 10, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kate

Steve, a man is dead, someone is posting horrible, racist comments and you're worrying about geography? Shame on you.

May 10, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • LisaBrennan

Someone killed himself you mongrels.....Kate's posting was the only one I saw with the grace and reverence that all the rest of you could not seem to muster. Its all about you and your science and your atom facts and trying to make a buck off of this, Insurance Man, and all of your fat HAPPY A$$ES. My sympathy is with the man who jumped and to pray for peace for his soul. How he must have felt just before he jumped. And with his family. I am sorry for these other posts.

May 12, 2011 at 2:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Donna

Why should we have sympathy for this man? He got what he wanted. He's dead. If it was just for attention I guess he miscalculated. I have no sympathy for those who take the cowards way out and kill themselves. I would rather celebrate those who bring it back from the brink as a survivor of whatever they were going through. I'll save my energy for that.

May 12, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Just saying...

I think people feel sorry for him because most health professionals will tell you that suicide is ussually the final symptom of a serious mental illness such as depression. Saying you are a coward because you suffer from an illness, is like calling someone a coward for having cancer or a heart condition.

May 12, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Annoyed

Get over yourself, people have mental illnesses like bipolar, anxiety and depression that may lead them to finally commit suicide. It doesn't make them cowards although it is a tragedy for everyone involved. So again, get over yourself.

May 15, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • charles bowen

WOW! One cold hearted woman we or should i say most of us have our limits as to what we can take were not all Rambos like you. Cold Cold Cold. Charles Bowen Solomon Stone

May 16, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • MaryInBoise

Thank you. My maternal grandmother and an uncle both committed suicide, and whenever I see people making fun of a tragedy like this, it infuriates me. Of course, those who haven't suffered the pain of being a survivor and who can make anonymous comments on the internet have no clue. I'm glad some of us, like you, do.

May 13, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

Been there. Understand, and agree....

May 19, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • tapuhere

Just want to say–I got it. I doubt those self-important mo rons will reread for comprehension, though.

May 10, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jason

Ah, so corporations drive another worker to suicide. What a surprise.

May 10, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |

Right on, Kate!

May 10, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Almost There

Jumped off the tallest building, only to fall 41 stories........FAIL

May 10, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • romuluz

I should not be laughing but it's funny cause it's true

May 11, 2011 at 4:00 am | Report abuse |
  7. Tcat

Thats one way to make the headlines....

May 10, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  8. sally

wow... I have no respect for people that commit suicide... BUT, way to give 110 percent

May 10, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • muhrvis

I doubt the people that killed themselves care if you respect them... They're dead.

May 10, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Information

@dawn
    Nah, they're different. Absolute Zero is a temperature.

May 10, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Eric

This is ridiculous. A man jumps off a building and everyone is debating the physics of free-falling. I applaud you all.

May 10, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  11. PP

This comment is wrong on so many levels. The blatantly racist remark is misdirected. The man was unlikely to be Arab. Arabs in the middle east generally do not find themselves in a position where they cannot get time off from work. The man was probably an immigrant laborer from South Asia who could not get time off to visit his family back home. Labor laws in the middle east are heavily stacked against the immigrant labor population. Delay in paying wages and insanely long working hours are not unusual.

May 10, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • yokolee

Thank you it make sense...a bit, poor man

May 10, 2011 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  12. innit

@Mr. Science:

Oh, I got the joke. It wasn't funny, period.
    It was just inappropriate as hell to post it over a story in which a man committed suicide.
    You, sir, need some compassion.
    I think we can tell why you can't maintain even an imaginary friendship.
    It sounds like you have to repeat that last phrase of your often in your workday. It must be nice to change it up with "do you want fries with that?"

May 10, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mr. Science

Well it seems since you are attacking and calling people names, you fall into an uncompassionate fornicator in an upright direction column yourself. (You'll get it in about an hour)

Whilst some of us are merely having a good time at the expense of a stranger, we do it with humor.

Unlike you, who choose to call names and belittle.

Hello pot, my name is kettle, why lookie there, were both black. But I my friend, don't take this fecal matter so seriously.

May 10, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Luke

why?

May 10, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  14. innit

@tapuhere:
    You can type morons. See? Moron.

May 10, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • tapuhere

Having typed long posts that are then "awaiting moderation" (= vaporized), I'll use that little trick whenever there's a possibility of avoiding censure. You can take your chances though. Although... I guess you don't have much to say so what's the diff?

May 10, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |