Slang could be your "thang" for Scrabble
Blingy, Facebook among new words added to Scrabble's official word book.
May 10th, 2011

Slang could be your "thang" for Scrabble

Innit. Thang. Grrl. Fiqh.

Incorporate those words into your Scrabble arsenal because they are fair game to win at the word game.

Game staffers based in Glasgow, Scotland, have compiled 3,000 extra words that are now officially allowed, according to the Scotsman. Webzine, Facebook and blingy were added, the paper reports.

Oh, and for players who always wind up with that impossible 'Q' and want to spell Fiqh, know that the word means an expansion of Islamic law and involves the observance of Islamic rituals and customs.

Post by:
Filed under: Scotland • Scrabble
  1. Cesar

Banging is my thing. Love it up my big ass. A new word for all of you out there: kyssmyazs

May 10, 2011 at 7:02 am | Report abuse |
  2. Cesar

Sokkacokka

May 10, 2011 at 7:03 am | Report abuse |
  3. Cesar

Mamaphoker

May 10, 2011 at 7:05 am | Report abuse |
  4. Cesar

Phrikfaze

May 10, 2011 at 7:07 am | Report abuse |
  5. Philip

'Fiqh'...obsevance of Islamic rituals. I'll use that word the next time I play Scrabble. I personally wouldn't use it if burying a suspected terrorist at sea, but I'm not the US Navy.

May 10, 2011 at 7:15 am | Report abuse |
  6. Philip

As for the use of slang words while playing Scrabble...not a good idea and will make the game less enjoyable for people who have a vocabulary based on actual words. Mentally challenged individuals will no-doubt enjoy using slang words, as will the products of "no child left behind"

May 10, 2011 at 7:21 am | Report abuse |
  7. banasy

Hey, you're talking about my daughter here, Philip! She's a fine grrrl, thank you! Lol. To our Muslim friends: is fiqh a slang term?

Actually, I agree with you, Philip. Using slang, to me, is a lazy way to win at Scrabble. If it's not in a dictionary, don't use it. And not the urban or slang dictionary, either!

May 10, 2011 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
  8. Jazzzzzzzzzz

I cant believe anyone would want to make matters worse for our children. I believe everyone agrees our educational system is tolerible at best, having said that though I am vehemently oppose to using slang in most forms of coversation and or life, work It may be ok as in telling a joke but beyond that a definate NO. Lets not make it even worse for the lack of education our children recieved already. Can we say Government DUMMING america down. Lets let the lambs sleep so we can do our evil deeds and make sure they cant even see it if it's right in front of thier face. Just my opinion.

May 10, 2011 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
  9. Suzanne

I agree Amy, it may appeal to the younger generation but won't be accepted too well by the older crowd.

May 10, 2011 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  10. Philip

Like today's youngsters are playing Scrabble 6 hrs per day. Slang-words are for violent video games, not wordcraft games. And who cares if you spelled it wrong as long as there is blood-spatter on the screen. I think the Scrabble corporation is just trying to expand their customer base, using the same tactics most churches use nowadays: Come play with us! We don't care if you can read (the bible). "Good time buddy Jesus" is here. he he

May 10, 2011 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Jazzzzzzzzzz

100 % agreed

May 10, 2011 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  11. Molasses

Wow! Our society sure is getting flushed down the toilet! Why do we support ignorance in such a way? It really bothers me when Webster's dictionary adds slang words and now this.

May 10, 2011 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  12. Jazzzzzzzzzz

This is were the parents come into play as in doing their job. Being a parent is the single most inportant job you will ever have. Remember it's like GOD giving you one of his own children to nurious.

May 10, 2011 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  13. Wife No. 2

Idn't it though. he he

May 10, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  14. innit

As I recall, God did give us his child. We killed him.

May 10, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |