Floodwaters on the rise
May 11th, 2011

Floodwaters pour toward 'last place on Earth that needs high water'

The swollen Mississippi River rolled south Wednesday, swamping emptied-out towns and businesses, and threatening untold damage to areas still recovering from a series of natural disasters.

In Mississippi, Louisiana, and Arkansas, authorities and residents braced for the days ahead.

"I went through (Hurricane) Katrina," said Lynn Magnuson, a New Orleans resident. "I would not wish flooding on anyone, and this city is the last place on Earth that needs any more high water."

The river crested Tuesday at Memphis, just short of a record set in 1937. The river in Memphis measured 47.8 feet Tuesday night, according to the National Weather Service. In Natchez, Mississippi, the river surpassed its record early Wednesday, exceeding 58 feet. Forecasts predict the river will crest in Natchez on May 21 at an overwhelming 64 feet.

Mississippi has already had to close some of its casinos at Tunica, a key economic driver in that part of the state, as flood waters seeped in. About 600 people in the Tunica community of Cutoff have been driven from their homes, said Larry Liddell, a county spokesman.

"We're just watching and waiting," he said.

In Louisiana, Gov. Bobby Jindal said as many as 3 million acres could be affected by the flooding. Some 500 National Guard members have been mobilized so far and 21 parishes have issued emergency declarations.

The river's crest is expected to begin arriving in Louisiana next week. Flooding is expected to be a major setback in the southern part of the state.

"After hurricanes Katrina, Rita, Gustav and Ike - as well as the oil spill - Louisiana can ill-afford another large-scale disaster," said Sen. Mary Landrieu, a Louisiana Democrat. "Billions of dollars in property is at stake, not to mention the threat to human life."

CAJUN CONCERN | HI-RES PHOTOS | OPEN STORY: DAMAGE MAP

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Louisiana • Mississippi • Tennessee • Weather
  1. Scottish Mama

Will this affect the homes Brad Pitt built in LA.? Arithmetric where are you?

May 11, 2011 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  2. Scottish Mama

Corp of engineers need to adress this problem with pipelines. They built the leveees now go a step further and build pipelines to the drought and burning west. Jobs and infrastructure.

May 11, 2011 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  3. dan smith

Stupid to build in a flood plane anyway, especially one that sits below sea level.

May 11, 2011 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

a--zz, New Orleans been here longer than the US of A

May 11, 2011 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Seth

I’m really sick with people using these blogs for their personal amusement, or to say what they like to do.
    There is someone by the name of banasy that has to let everyone know what she and her family likes or dislikes.

Call your friends(if you have) and tell them whatever, not here.!!!!!!

May 11, 2011 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  5. Seth

I really like with people using these blogs for their personal amusement, or to say what they like to do.There is someone by the name of banasy who lets everyone know what she and her family likes or dislikes. I wish I had a family who loved me!

Call your friends and tell them I would love to have friends, too!!!!!!

May 11, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Cesar

@Seth: I thought I told you to shut up, stupid.

May 11, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Michael

I love how banasy gets on here and tells us how she is blessed with a wonderful family and telling us her stories. And the rapport with her gang of buddies is so fun to read. They should to do it more! Banasy, you and your sista sound like people I'd like to meet online. Do me a favor and tell me how to make friends. Txt or call your buddies and tell them I need friends! Don't ever get off of these blogs.

May 11, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Michael

I’m sick of the banasy getting on here and telling us how she is blessed with a wonderful family and spouting out personal nonsense. And this pollution with her gang of buddies is sickening. They need to go to a chatroom or start their own personal blogs.
    Banasy, you and your sista should go to the library and put books on the shelves. Do something useful for once. Txt or call your buddies. Just get off of these blogs.

May 11, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Michael is nuts

What are you babbling about? Yeesh:

May 11, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Michael

I love how banasy gets on here and tells us how she is blessed with a wonderful family and telling us her stories. And the rapport with her gang of buddies is so fun to read. They should to do it more! Banasy, you and your sista sound like people I'd like to meet online. Do me a favor and tell me how to make friends. Txt or call your buddies and tell them I need friends! Don't ever get off of these blogs!!

May 11, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Michael is nuts

Are you having a conversation with yourself?

May 11, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Cesar

@Michael is Nuts, I think Michael blew a gasket. He keeps saying the same thing in all the threads. He is very loco.

May 11, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Trolls Suck

Same Troll-new names today Fiona/Seth/Michael. Banasy is just today's target. Personal convos really set him off. Feeling left out I guess. Sorry you got your feelings hurt. Try being nice instead of a jerk,maybe you'd have friends too.

May 11, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  14. popeye

Yea everyone will feel the effects of the flooding even you the price of agriculturel products is going to sky rocket along with gas and everything else .

May 12, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Observer1290

Obama is either a liar or insane:

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSYslCRoX7k&w=640&h=360]