Gingrich should stay focused on fiscal discipline, friend and former adviser says
Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich announced he is running for president in 2012.
May 11th, 2011

As Newt Gingrich prepares his candidacy for the 2012 presidential nomination, he needs to remind people of what he accomplished as speaker of the House dureing the Clinton administration, his former campaign chairman said.

Gingrich announced via Twitter Wednesday that he is a candidate for the 2012 Republican presidential nomination. His agenda includes overturning health care reform and eliminating the EPA.

Gingrich needs to remind GOP voters, especially the fiscally conservative, that he worked "to bring President Clinton to the table to bring a balanced budget, that he worked to reduce capital gains, that he worked to reform welfare," political consultant Matt Towery said.

At the same time, Gingrich should not talk up too many issues and ideas, just stay focused on the fiscal discipline matters that are driving much of the national debate, Towery said in an interview with CNN Radio.

Towery, a former member of the Georgia House of Representatives, served as campaign chairman for Gingrich and chief strategist for numerous national political campaigns. He said he is not working on Gingrich's campaign.

It won't be easy for Gingrich to deal with social conservatives when it comes to his personal life, which includes an affair while his first wife was stricken with cancer and a second while he was leading the Clinton impeachment proceedings. But the transgressions are not necessarily a deal-breaker, Towery said.

“Most people ... really don’t care about that issue,” Towery said. “They’re more concerned about whether they have a job, food on the table and the like.”

Gingrich has been facing up to his indiscretions in interviews, the Atlanta-based attorney and businessman said. Plus, “neither of his two former wives have come out against him.”

Listen to the full interview here:

Listen to more CNN Radio Report podcasts on itunes or subscribe
to podcasts here.

Post by:
Filed under: Newt Gingrich
  1. Nora Dunn

He won't win or get close his facial expression alone turns me away

May 11, 2011 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Deezy Hypno

Well that's 5 minutes I'll never get back. You thought that might be entertaining?

May 11, 2011 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  2. drap

I'm thinking he should stay focused on keeping his pants on..easy on the blue pill... .

May 11, 2011 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Lecture Curcuit

You will be back.

May 11, 2011 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. george Delaney

A looser from the word go.

May 11, 2011 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • skytag is a pvssy

I bet he knows how to spell the word LOSER though!

May 11, 2011 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Newtered

his slogans consisted of contract with America,drill baby drill..that makes him a perfect GOP candidate... .

May 11, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Outspoken!

I will have to wait 3 years post you finding Jesus before I would even consider voting for you. It takes that long to trust you flyboy!

May 11, 2011 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • kristine

Herman Cain has always Been one of Jesus's, I know to a lot of people this is not important, but to a lot it is. He is all so a very intelligent person. Give him a listen before you just write him off, because the media is not talking about him. Go to his site see for yourselfs, think for your selfs, that all, just hear people out, think for yourselfs.

May 16, 2011 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Kristine

no the perfect GOP candidate is going to be Herman Cain, even if the GOP does not yet know it. Watch out obama a real man with a love for America not someone who hates it i Go Herman go!!! Herman Cain remember the name..

May 11, 2011 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Pepperoni King

if you cant make a good pizza,your not getting anyones vote,saw Mr Cain on Fox..hilarious.

May 11, 2011 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • kristine

I’m not going to shoot from the lip on Afghanistan

May 15th, 2011

Herman Cain

Ever since the South Carolina Republican presidential debate, reporters have continued to challenge me for not having a specific plan for our nation’s involvement in Afghanistan. They continue to think that if you are running for president then you must have an answer for everything. I don’t! A real leader has the right questions for everything.

When asked about what I would do about our involvement in the war in Afghanistan during the debate, I answered by asking the questions that should have been asked before we got involved many years ago. What is our mission? How does it serve our interest? Is there a path to victory? If not, then what is our exit strategy?

I ask these questions instead of “shooting from the lip” because there is obviously a lot of classified information to which I do not have access. There are dozens of experts and military leaders I would need advice from before I could make an informed decision about a real clear plan for the USA’s involvement in Afghanistan. Similarly, a real clear strategy for every country with which we have relationships would be developed, regardless of whether or not we are involved in a military conflict.

To be clear, I want to be out of Afghanistan and all war-torn countries as much as the next person. But I am not going to propose a half-baked plan based on half the information I would need to make the right decision, just to pretend I know everything.

On the other hand, I do know enough about our solid relationship with Israel from decades of observations that I would make it even stronger, which isn’t just about dollars. And, I would not be hesitant to let the rest of the world know that we will stand by and with our friends.

I succeeded in business for over 40 years by asking the right questions of the right people about the right problems to get to the right solutions. That’s what most successful people do, and I would do the same thing as president of the United States of America.

Aside from the fact that I disagree with many of President Obama’s policies, practices and decisions, consider some of the decisions and statements I’m sure he wishes he could do over. He promised to be out of Afghanistan by July 2011, date certain. It’s not going to happen. He wanted to close the Guantanamo military prison facility and put the prisoners, mostly terrorists, in our federal prisons. It didn’t happen.

He said passing the $787 billion stimulus bill (before extenders which pushed the total closer to $1 trillion) would get the unemployment rate back under 8 percent. The unemployment rate has not been under 8 percent since the stimulus bill was passed, and it was recently reported for April at 9.0 percent.

President Obama also said that a lot of the stimulus spending would go toward “shovel-ready” projects, only to admit later that there is no such thing as a shovel-ready project. Maybe he should have asked somebody, or maybe he thought we would not notice. We noticed!

As president, one may not make all the correct decisions, but you improve your success rate if you make decisions based on as much of the right information and advice as you can get. Maybe President Obama has just been getting bad advice. If so, he didn’t surround himself with the right people.

Working on the right problems, asking the right questions, surrounding oneself with the right people, and removing barriers to success is real leadership.

It’s much better than shooting from the lip.

I’m not going to shoot from the lip on Afghanistan

May 15th, 2011

Herman Cain

It’s much better than shooting from the lip.

I’m not going to shoot from the lip on Afghanistan

May 15th, 2011

Herman Cain

It’s much better than shooting from the lip.
      Go to Herman Cain site read his statments before you make up your mind is that to much to ask?

May 16, 2011 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  9. IKHAN

Newt Gingrich for President?
    Is this nation so down on its luck? The world , pl look away while we try hiding him and his likes someplace.
    The less said the better.

May 11, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Ancient Texan

The economy during the Clinton years was good. It was good in spite of Clinton, not because of Clinton. Newt and his contract with America included a balanced budget admendment and the House passed it. The Senate failed by 2 votes. Clinton was smart and decided to go along with the fiscal decisions made by the legislature. Newt also came up with a reformation of welfare and Clinton didn't veto it. Newt is one of the smartest men on the public scene.

May 11, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • kristine

if you really want to hear from a smart man go to Herman Cian's site, see for yourself.

May 16, 2011 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Deezy Hypno

This guy is just as slimy as John Edwards. Even if he has good ideas I'd be dumb for voting for a man that I don't trust. In actuality I hate the 2 party system and would like to see a 3rd party primary be included and have that winner debate the winners of the rigged 2 party monopoly. I somehow believe I will be dead long before that happens.

May 11, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Long in the horn

the economy was good during the Clinton years? how about the economy improved ten fold X 2..during his administration.Your a funny guy ancient Texan,you should probably spend more time making sure the chupacabras does'nt cross the border.

May 11, 2011 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  13. banasy

The economy was good because of Clinton, not because of Newt. Newt taking all the credit for the balanced budget is typical for the self-promoting blowhard he is, not to mention one of the more hypocritical politicians out there.

I certainly agree with the people who say that the GOP is making it easy to ensure our President gets a second term.

May 11, 2011 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  14. leeintulsa

I am VERY excited about Mr. Cain. Lowest voter turn-out ever.lol A black guy on both sides of the ticket. It's a sad prediction.

Maybe Libertarians will finally win one, red-neck vote up for grabs and all.

May 11, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kristine

it has nothing to do with color of the skin, it is who is the man that is smart enough to get us out of this hell hole where falling deeper in, if you are a person that wants that, then go to Herman Cain's site give him a listen, then you make up your own mind. Don't go by what media tells you to pick. Listen to all, research make up your own mind after hearing what they their selfs say. ,they are about. Not what Fox, CNN, Goggle, Yahoo, or any other media tells you what to think. Go to their sites read listen, decide. Herman Cain is a very impressive man.

May 16, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Chupacabras

Them ancients are crazy in the F.U. state! they trapped one of my cousins and made a wallet and belt out of his hide... .

May 11, 2011 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |