Philippine nuclear plant to become tourist attraction
The Bataan Nuclear Power Plant was completed in 1984 but never brought online.
May 11th, 2011

Philippine nuclear plant to become tourist attraction

Philippine tourism officials are turning an unused nuclear power plant into a tourist attraction, the Philippine Star reports.

The $2.3 billion Bataan Nuclear Power plant was completed in 1984 but was never put into use.

The plant was built during the presidency of Ferdinand Marcos, but when Corazon Aquino became president in 1986, she refused to open it, saying its location near earthquake faults and an active volcano made it unsafe, according to an Agence-France Presse report.

Tourists will now get a look inside the plant and its intact reactor to see "how nuclear energy throughout the world menacingly threatens the quality of life of the people if handled incorrectly,” Department of Tourism regional director Ronald Tiotuico told the Philippine Star.

“Hopefully, the Bataan Nuclear Power Plant would serve to warn the global community of the fallout disaster that struck people in the Three Mile Island, Chernobyl, and Fukushima,” the Star quoted him as saying.

It won't be an all-nuclear tour, however. The plant will be a stop on a tour that includes historical sites and beach resorts, the Star reported.

Post by:
Filed under: Energy • Nuclear • Philippines • Travel
  1. raven

Hey Cesar! Yup, its me. i havent been around much .hope everyones well.

May 11, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Michael

I'm serious when I say I love how banasy gets on here and tells us how she is blessed with a wonderful family and telling us her stories.

And the rapport with her gang of buddies is so fun to read. They should to do it more!

Banasy, you and your sista sound like people I'd like to meet online.

Do me a favor and tell me how to make friends. Txt or call your buddies and tell them I need friends!

Don't ever get off of these blogs.

May 11, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  3. raven

And the 4:01 post wasnt me, but whoever said it was bein nice so i dont mind .

May 11, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Michael

I’m really serious about being sick of banasy getting on here and telling us how she is blessed with a wonderful family and spouting out personal nonsense. And this pollution with her gang of buddies is sickening. They need to go to a chatroom or start their own personal blogs.
    Banasy, you and your sista Raven should go to the library and put books on the shelves. Do something useful for once. Txt or call your buddies. Just get off of these blogs.

May 11, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  5. raven

And Michael, maybe you should follow your own advice as you seem to have polluted every thread with your negative personal agenda. And i havent even BEEN here for DAYS,ya big grouch.

May 11, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Michael

I'm sorry raven. I'm an ass.

May 11, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Michael

I'm really serious when I say I love how banasy gets on here and tells us how she is blessed with a wonderful family and telling us her stories.

Banasy, you and your sista Raven sound like people I'd like to meet online.

Do me a favor and tell me how to make friends.

Txt or call your buddies and tell them I need friends!
    Don't ever get off of these blogs.

I love you.

May 11, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy

Although I'd love to see the Philippines, I don't think I'd care to put this on my list of tour sites should I ever visit.

However, it seems like a good idea to attract tourist dollars, and try to recoup some of the cost of building the plant.

May 11, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  9. dan smith

Not the brightest idea, building a nuclear plant on a fault line near a volcano. By the way to everyone that keeps putting up posts that have nothing at all to do with the topic, join facebook that's what its there for. The rest of us are sick of having to scroll down through your stupid posts.

May 11, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Michael

dan the man, leave me alone, I didn't do anything, friend me on FB pleeeeease?

May 11, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Michael

dan the man, your going off topic yourself by the way.

May 11, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  12. K?

Why would I leave my walled-in hotel and 2 dollar h00kers to go look at this thing?

May 14, 2011 at 5:24 am | Report abuse |
  13. Rob

Precisely, dangerous when handled incorrectly. That means, don't let the Russians or Chinese use nuclear power.

May 14, 2011 at 6:56 am | Report abuse |
  14. Alfred Brock

That plant should be destroyed. The wrong people will go on the tour and see how easy it is to make your own nuclear reactions. This is ridiculous.

May 14, 2011 at 6:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Dave R

There’s nothing in a nuclear power plant that’ll teach anybody how to refine nuclear fuel on their own, at least not any better than they could already learn from 10 minutes connected to the Internet. And even that’s a far cry from teaching them how to make a nuclear weapon or even a dirty bomb.

May 14, 2011 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
  15. bluemax77

BOOK ME TWO WEEKS, SOUNDS LIKE A NICE RELAXING FAMILY BREAK, WHO COULD RESIST...?

May 14, 2011 at 7:05 am | Report abuse |