Thursday's intriguing people
U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara won the conviction of a Wall Street hedge fund manager this week.
May 12th, 2011

Thursday's intriguing people

Preet Bharara

The U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York announced Wednesday that a jury had found billionaire hedge fund manager Raj Rajaratnam guilty of conspiracy and securities fraud in one of the most high-profile insider trading prosecutions in a decade. Known for his tough campaign against insider trading, Bharara once worked for Democratic Sen. Charles Schumer of New York.

Tiffany Smalley

When she receives her college diploma later this month, the Harvard University student of Native American descent will be the first Wampanoag to graduate from the school since 1665. Smalley will join two of her ancestors, Joel Iacommes and Caleb Cheeshahteaumuck, the sons of Wampanoag tribal leaders who entered Harvard in 1661. At this year's commencement ceremony, the university will grant a posthumous degree to Iacommes, who was killed in a shipwreck just before graduation. Almost 350 years later, Smalley will accept the diploma on his behalf.

Adam Foster

The 30-year-old engineer from upstate New York is accused of stealing handcuffs in Dubai and has been detained there for four months. Foster went to the United Arab Emirates in January on a business trip. He was arrested after reportedly keeping a pair of handcuffs that he found on the ground. According to Foster's Facebook page, he was whipped, beaten and forced to confess to stealing handcuffs from police. He now faces two to seven years in prison in the UAE.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Dubai • Education • Most Intriguing People
  1. Michael

Folks, I am "Outsider'. The fact is, I feel very inadequate and make up fake things. I have a tiny two inch ding-a-ling and am ashamed of it. That is why I makeup fake things about myself. banasy was right when she said I have "delusions of grandeur". I am sorry.

I also apologize to the real Cesar. I know he is a good guy and has been plagued by trolls. I just want peace and hope he can forgive me. I don't like the trolls and what they say. But, I can deal with most of it, as long as it's not *s/e/x* comments. They just make me feel more inadequate.

Please forgive me Cesar and everyone else. I hope we can move on to better times.

-Jorma

May 12, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Michael

I’m sick of banasy getting on here and telling us how she is blessed with a wonderful family and spouting out personal nonsense. And this pollution with her gang of buddies is sickening. They need to go to a chatroom or start their own personal blogs.
    Banasy, you and your sista should go to the library and put books on the shelves. Do something useful for once. Txt or call your buddies. Just get off of these blogs.

May 12, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Michael

I have multiple personalities, none of them good

I sicken myself.

I love how banasy gets on here and tells us how she is blessed with a wonderful family and telling us her stories.

And the rapport with her gang of buddies is so fun to read. They should to do it more!

Banasy, you and your sista sound like people I'd like to meet online.

Do me a favor and kill me. I'm worthless.

Txt or call your buddies and tell them I need friends!
    Please, I need desperate help!

May 12, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  4. dan smith

Just one more reason not to go to backwards countries, let's stick to the topics folks.

May 12, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy

Well, what on earth was Adam Foster supposed to do with the handcuffs? If I found a pair of handcuffs lying on the ground, I'd probably keep them, too!

This is just as ludicrous as those hikers in Iran on trial for spying!

Sounds to me like the only thing he may me guilty of is being American.

May 12, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • CNN

Youre not supposed to take anything you found on the ground in the middle east. One of the good things about the middle east is you can leave your wallet somewhere and it will still be there.

May 12, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mexican

Whip and beat him for being white see if he was brown u can act arab and get away with it

May 12, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  7. banasy

@CNN: Really! I didn't know that. So there must be a whole lot of stuff just laying around in the Middle East, huh? And if you left your wallet on the ground, how would you then retrieve it without being arrested for stealing your wallet?

May 12, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • CNN

While I don't condone cutting off hands there is a very low crime rate in certain parts of the world that have strict laws against theft. Umm my wallet would have my ID in it. Duh....

May 12, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Cesar

Hey JJ, you maggot. I have a broken scab on my elbow with puss and slime ozzing out. Why don't you come and lick it, maggot?

May 13, 2011 at 1:40 am | Report abuse |
  9. CarolynPlemmons

@Tory: honeychild, come on home now ya hear? Uncle daddy wants some we/en/nie&f/ud/ge pie. you half brotha in/br/ead/s transformer he-she siblings be missin dey teacher. uncle daddy bubba say u deedunt teechum rait fo u ran way. come on home to the holla! between you, me and crazy doc Beutel's wife, we got a full decka cards to play anna fole heada teef to hole our snuf. come on home nayawm ya hear?

May 13, 2011 at 3:46 am | Report abuse |
  10. banasy

@CNN: Ummm, what if it didn't have your ID in it? What if you took a page out of a smart tourist book and kept your ID and money separate from your wallet just in case you lost your wallet? Duh.

May 13, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Aashish

The truth is that Preet Bharara is a self-loathing Indian (ABCD) who simply did not have the balls to go after a Jewish or a Caucasian banker. I dont condone Rajaratnam but people like Preet Bharara are the ones that really make me feel ashamed of being an Indian. This, at the end of the day, was an Indian slave trying his best to impress his white masters and gain their acceptance, and what better way to do that than going after his own kind? He wanted to set an example by going after colored people? How very brave. This is precisely the reason why we Indians hate ABCDs. At the end of the day, Americans should know that nobody gained anything from such boot-lickers. Beware of such people.

May 14, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |