Caylee Anthony's grandparents apply to trademark her name
George and Cindy Anthony have applied for a trademark on granddaughter Caylee Anthony's name.
May 17th, 2011

Caylee Anthony's grandparents apply to trademark her name

Caylee Anthony's grandparents have applied for trademarks on her name as well as the phrase "Justice for Caylee" to prevent others from using or profiting from the slain Florida toddler's likeness, the couple's lawyer said Tuesday.

George and Cindy Anthony's lawyer also sent a letter this week to Internet marketing company Cafepress.com, demanding that it stop selling a slew of merchandise labeled "Justice for Caylee." The items included T-shirts, boxer shorts, thongs, aprons, Christmas stockings and pet food bowls.

"This website is an affront to the memory of Caylee Anthony and the family will not tolerate the malicious production of her name in any format," stated a May 17 letter from Orlando attorney Mark Lippman  to Cafepress' legal department.

The letter asked that the site pull the merchandise, which it says is libelous in nature, and provide an accounting of all sales and proceeds from the merchandise.

Cafepress had yet to receive the letter, a representative for the California-based company said Tuesday. Cafepress does not create the content on its site, the representative said. The designs are created by consumers, who upload them to the site.

Caylee Anthony's name has appeared on T-shirts, buttons, fliers and merchandise such as dolls since her disappearance in 2008.

Her mother, Casey Anthony, is charged with first-degree murder. Her trial began last week with jury selection in Pinellas County, Florida.

1. raven

It seems like Cindy was more interested in covering for Casey than she was finding Caylee. She even washed Caseys clothes after retrieving them from the stinky car. Sounds to me like she KNEW her daughter had done something awful. The only one who HASNT seemed duplicitous is George. He just seems to not WANT to know so he does whatever his shrew of a wife tells him .

May 17, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Three Dog Mama

Trademark a given name? I don't think so. Would that mean that each child that is already name Caylee would have to pay those pieces of dirt money? I don't think so.

May 17, 2011 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Barbara

Mary, you have said it all. It is human nature to want to protect your children. What a terrible situation for any parents to be in. I do feel sorry the grandparents....

May 17, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kristal

y the grandparents feel 4 the little angel who they failed 2 protect 31 days come on get real there fame seekers in my mind cindy already tryed 2 give law inforcement a brush that she said was caylees 2 throw off the law (dna) and i am still waiting 4 the charges against her 4 that incident

May 17, 2011 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Dear Kristal, please learn to write correctly, or at least not like a 12 year old hood rat.

May 18, 2011 at 1:11 am | Report abuse |
  4. banasy

They would only be able to trademark the name "Caylee Anthony", if granted, much like "Ronald McDonald" is trademarked.

As for doing anything I could to say my daughter's life?

Mmm, well, maybe-if my daughter didn't kill my grandaughter. I would have to think very long and hard about that...not to mention that I would have done something proactive in the first place, if my daughter acted like Casey Anthony.

And her mother knew, make no mistake.
    Her mother knew what Casey was like.

May 17, 2011 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Marym730

It's ironic because these are the only 2 people who haven't been seeking Justice for Caylee are her grandparents. I can understand their position & wanting to save their daughter but they have done it at Caylee's expense. They ignored the obvious evidence & instead of trying to get to the truth they supported a bunch of bs.
    They should be banned from using Caylee's name. It should be public domain since it seems the public has been sseking justice for that precious child & not her family... I'm just saying......

May 17, 2011 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  6. ron

S.omeone needs to wake uo the guy sitting behing Cindy Anthony in the court room. Look at the picture

May 17, 2011 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Sennen

I cannot believe these people want to make money from this tragedy.

May 17, 2011 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Joey

None of the three is mature enough to do what would be required for Casey's parents to continue to love her. If any one of them were, this situation would not have arisen.
    Casey's parents would have to tell her, "we love you; you did a terrible thing to Caylee, and you have to be punished, but we still love you, and will be with you until the end, whatever that is."
    Then, the three could continue, sadly, as a family.
    Not one of them can even admit what happened, perhaps not even to himself.

May 17, 2011 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Kristal

am i blind or is cindy getting uglier their both conniving grandparents who only say they care, if they cared y didn't they want 2 c the granddaughter a lot sooner then 31 days knowing that casey is a worthless mother that only cares 4 herself george maybe u had a backbone once but cindy took that away a long time ago time 2 grow another 1 not 1 of You anthonys is any good that means the whole family

May 17, 2011 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Kristal

look in the dictionary 4 the meaning of white trash' theres a picture of the anthony family

May 17, 2011 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  11. L

I find it hard to believe that a grandparent would not want to know where their grandchild was for 30 days. I don't care if she told them she was at the so-called babysitters house. I believe that Casey's mom knew something about it as soon as she smelled something in the car and washed Casey's clothes. I just can not believe that a mom would harm her child just so she could go party and get drunk. NOW THAT IS A UNFIT MOM IF I EVER SEE ONE CASEY ANTHONY. All though she is innocent until proven guilty. I also know that we are not to judge others that God will judge them when they get to heavens gate. I guess we will see what the people say.

May 17, 2011 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  12. susan

has anybody taken a REALLY good, hard look at the grandfather??? Something about this whole thing was MORE than fishy.

May 17, 2011 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
  13. ddb880

The whole family is sick.

May 17, 2011 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jim

How can they trademark something other people are already using and make those people stop?

May 17, 2011 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jennifer

Justice Caylee for Caylee Justice 4 Caylee for Caylee Justice 4 Justice Caylee for Justice for Justice Just "Justice for Caylee"

Sorry, Grandma and Grandpa – can't make it all go away