Caylee Anthony's grandparents apply to trademark her name
George and Cindy Anthony have applied for a trademark on granddaughter Caylee Anthony's name.
May 17th, 2011

Caylee Anthony's grandparents apply to trademark her name

Caylee Anthony's grandparents have applied for trademarks on her name as well as the phrase "Justice for Caylee" to prevent others from using or profiting from the slain Florida toddler's likeness, the couple's lawyer said Tuesday.

George and Cindy Anthony's lawyer also sent a letter this week to Internet marketing company Cafepress.com, demanding that it stop selling a slew of merchandise labeled "Justice for Caylee." The items included T-shirts, boxer shorts, thongs, aprons, Christmas stockings and pet food bowls.

"This website is an affront to the memory of Caylee Anthony and the family will not tolerate the malicious production of her name in any format," stated a May 17 letter from Orlando attorney Mark Lippman  to Cafepress' legal department.

The letter asked that the site pull the merchandise, which it says is libelous in nature, and provide an accounting of all sales and proceeds from the merchandise.

Cafepress had yet to receive the letter, a representative for the California-based company said Tuesday. Cafepress does not create the content on its site, the representative said. The designs are created by consumers, who upload them to the site.

Caylee Anthony's name has appeared on T-shirts, buttons, fliers and merchandise such as dolls since her disappearance in 2008.

Her mother, Casey Anthony, is charged with first-degree murder. Her trial began last week with jury selection in Pinellas County, Florida.

1. Captain Art

The whole family is out to make money on the murdered little kid , bunch of sick people. God is watching!

May 17, 2011 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Donna Maynard,Tn

God Bless George and Cindy Anthony. I can't imagine thier pain. No matter if she did or didn't, they still have lost everything. Good luck with the patent.

May 17, 2011 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Timothy

You know how I can tell you didn't read the article?

May 17, 2011 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tony

I guess Nancy Grace, that money grubbing fake, will have to pay now to use the name.

Nancy Grace is a money grubbing sensationalizing pain in the ear.

May 17, 2011 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Athens, GA

God is watching? Was this God watching when this little girl was being murdered? When she was screaming for help, or flailing her arms and legs around in agony? I highly doubt that an omnipotent being that would allow such an atrocity would give a damn about a t-shirt. I also doubt that knowing that God may be watching will make this company any less greedy. How long are you going to let God make a fool out of you?

May 18, 2011 at 1:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Jkhn

Timothy is onto something here.. Ha ha

May 18, 2011 at 2:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Mercury

This is what humans get for worshiping earthly deities such as Jesus. You will have your marriage tested by deceitful snakes of men. You will be lied to and your will attempted to be broken like Job. Your cheating spouse will be spared from stoning while your unruly child is fair game to be stoned by all the men in the village. If you believe in the real God or at the very least reject these earthly religions which are inventions of the Devil then God will protect you as God has protected me. Some of my most trying times were during a time when I searched for Jesus. This sick puppet show is nothing more than a test of people's faith. The media is in on it too, while they pretend to be saintly messengers they are keenly aware that they are deceitful serpents.

May 18, 2011 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  2. ron

wow I couldnt imagine hurting anyone of my three children, do they have capitol punshiment there

May 17, 2011 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave K

Florida very definitely has capital punishment. They're probaby only second to Texas in the number of times they use it.

May 18, 2011 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
  3. ron

sad sad case

May 17, 2011 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Prison for Casey Anthony, now trademark that.

May 17, 2011 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Brad Casali

I'm somewhat confused here. Can George and Cindy apply for trademark of Caylee Anthony name if they do not technically 'own' the granddaughter? I know that 'owning' sounds rather archaic, but the grandparents aren't the biological parents. They have rights, of course, but I can't see how they want to trademark their grandchild's name when they are not the biological parents.

May 17, 2011 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Tony

I wish they'd throw Nancy Grace in jail.. just for how she sensationalized the whole case.

If they had a dollar for every time Nancy Grace said the name they'd be millionaires. They must of got the idea from Sarah Palin.

May 17, 2011 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

must HAVE gotten the idea from....
      God, I swear half of this country is border-line illiterate.

May 18, 2011 at 1:14 am | Report abuse |
  7. Lilbit1153

Considering I have never heard either George or Cindy use the terms "Justice for Caylee" then I don't see how they could could be granted a copyright to it. It is something that has been expressed on various internet crime boards, blogs and message boards since Casey was arrested. Sadly they don't seem to even want "justice" for Caylee given their behavior over the last three years. I am waiting for them to impeach themselves on the stand and to be prosecuted for it, because they just can't stop lying for Casey. Every dime they make off of that precious little girl is blood money!

May 18, 2011 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
  8. DFlyn003

These two pieces of shiat are just as guilty as the child murdering tramp daughter of theirs is..... now trying to corner the market on this is disgusting... off with all of their heads

May 18, 2011 at 12:44 am | Report abuse |
  9. Susan G.

I agree with one comment that asks whether or not George and Cindi can actually apply for trademark, and I believe they can. I think that anybody can, as long as they're the first to apply. If they apply for every slogan that CafePress is using before CafePress does, I think that they're within their rights...their problem is OBVIOUSLY with the "Casey Did It" sticker that's for sale....they assume it's going to hurt their daughter in this circus of a trial. I think she's "done-for" and those stickers aren't going to make a bit of difference in the outcome. Will they continue to support that train-wreck of a daughter when it comes out of her mouth that it was either George or Lee using her as the family mattress, and that's why she is the way she is??? Is George going to tolerate it if she says it's him? What a family. I'd hide my face in shame.

May 18, 2011 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |
  10. Chris

Anyone condemning the grandparents either did not read the article, or has the reading comprehension of a summer squash. They are trademarking her name and the phrase to prevent sites from selling merch with her likeness and name on the merchandise, such as thongs, pet food bowls, and other blatantly offensive things considering the situation. I can't believe how low people will stoop to in order to make a buck, and even more why anyone would buy a thong with a dead girl's picture on it.

May 18, 2011 at 1:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Chase

yeah, well the grandparents themselves have already made money off the death of their grandchild by doing things like licensing photos and videos and getting flown here, there and everywhere at the expense of various 'news' and 'entertainment' organizations, being put up in fancy 5-star hotels and being served gourmet meals at expensive restaurants.

also, it's one thing to be supportive of a possibly wayward child, and another thing entirely to lie and deceive for it. they've got a darn good idea of what happened to their grandchild and at whose hands as evidenced by their first reactions upon realizing she was missing, but now they're being difficult and obstructionist. that's not protecting their daughter, but being deceptive and manipulative. being suportive doesn't mean helping a child to avoid justice, but helping them face it.

May 18, 2011 at 1:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Chris

I never said I supported the grandparents' position in the case, just in this matter; I am sure they have received benefits and have been less than forthcoming with the police.

May 18, 2011 at 1:43 am | Report abuse |
  11. IAGUY

I'm with Tony. Nancy Grace is worse than any of the Anthony's, including Casey. She shrieks all the way to the bank.

May 18, 2011 at 1:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Nancy Grace

She was eating cupcakes and buying new underwear while in jail! Who does that when their daughter is dead or missing? Who buys new underwear!?

May 18, 2011 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  12. Shannon

How can you trademark a name? I'm sure that she is not the only single person in this world with that name. If that's the case, I'd like to trademark the name John Smith!

May 18, 2011 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
  13. mary

I would not want anyone to make money off my dead child! My Son Tyrell was murdered and I was so angry how on TV and in newspaper articles it was written up like it was an everyday occurence! That's what the media has done is sensationalized MURDER! And we all watch it like it's not real, like it's part of a TV show and we don't get HORRIFIED, SICKEND, MORTIFIED, or even DISGUSTED! Instead, we tune in, watch faithfully, as te news team finds the MURDER story's & Victims "theme" music to be played EVERY time they run the story, and then they think of a "cute & catchy" name for the murderer, like they did with Anthony calling her "Tot Mom" Nancy Grace is the worst!! As she fakes her sadness and concern as ahe rakes in the big bucks and swears she stands for all the victims! – would never have her stand or represent my Son or any of us. We should be HORRIFIED and TERRIFIED EVERY SINGLE TIME we hear about ANY murder. Not just when they have a theme song or the MURDERER has a cute little made up screen name. It's outrageous! Can you remember what they did th Laci Peterson's parents, the music, the photos, "baby Connor" and how Nancy Grace talked about them like she had known them personally! It's horrible! Murder is NOT entertainment for reporters!! MARY~

May 18, 2011 at 1:56 am | Report abuse |
  14. Jenn

Breaking News tonight, bombshell! Tot mom Casey Anthony kills Caylee bags her like garbage and dumps body. Now Casey is throwing a hissy fit and demands that her parents trademark Caylee's ID so that she can use the money made to buy snacks and invent news ways to play with her greasy hair! IMO no one should profit from this tragedy. It would be one thing if they used all the money to make more shirts and then donated every left over penny to Aqua-search, or Klass kids. That is not the case though. Anyone who profits from this child's death in any way disgusts me and that includes CNN and Nancy Grace!

May 18, 2011 at 2:32 am | Report abuse |
  15. mark

The greedy money grabbing SOB's are trying to profit off a murder.

May 18, 2011 at 2:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Derp

I wonder how much the Justice For Caylee people are making off this dead child?

May 18, 2011 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |