Overheard on CNN.com: Scoff and concern for end-of-the-worlders
May 18th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Scoff and concern for end-of-the-worlders

Comment of the day:

"It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine." – Lolita

Tick tock goes the doomsday clock

The beginning of the end of the world, in some people's minds, is near - like this Saturday. According to loyal listeners of Family Radio, founded by Harold Camping and based in Oakland, California, Saturday will usher in the beginning of Judgment Day. They believe a massive worldwide earthquake will strike, leading to five months of death and destruction culminating on October 21, when the Earth will no longer exist.

Some CNN.com readers expressed strong skepticism about the "end of days" prediction, and some felt empathy for the people who have given up their possessions, jobs and family to spread the message.

Acts 2:38 said, "The rapture will NOT take place on May 21st. I feel so bad for the poor people who have bought into Mr. Campings lies." Claymation said, "This Camping fellow knows exactly what he's doing. He's done it all before. The fact is that he's feeding off these people, whether it be for money or fame, he's getting what he wants. May 21st will come and go and he'll say something like, 'Oops, I guess I miss calculated' and change the date." Walt said, "I hope Mr. Campings gets sued by all these people that have been following him. What are these poor people going to do on Monday when they realize they have no jobs, no belongings and probably no money?" Martha said, "I really, really feel sorry for the children of these people who have to spend these next few days terrified of the world ending Saturday evening, and the supposed mechanics of that, and then the issue of how will they will adjust to their reality for years to come."

Other readers found the idea amusing and responded in kind:

Donnie said, "Wow. This is actually good news for me. I've got a bunch of drywall and painting work to finish at the house this weekend, so this will really take a lot off my plate. Thanks God for freeing up my weekends ... FOR ETERNITY!" J said, "If we're supposed to be 'sorted' on the 21st, I hope I’m on Gryffindor!" NB said, "Thank God I'm playing golf on Friday. Maybe I can go out with a round of glory!" D said, "Darn. My End of the World Party doesn't start until 6:30 on Saturday." Jason Goodrich said, "End of The World Parties are always the best. Usually it's on a hurricane day. I hope the weather is good Saturday night." JohnnerMan said, "I'm glad that God acknowledges our (man-made) International Date Line. I wonder if heaven observes daylight savings time?" curleyg said, "I need to know what time Sat. Do I bet the Preakness or not?" Outawork said, "Oh boy!!! Now I don't have to worry about finding a job, but with my luck I'll win the lottery this Saturday." The Jackdaw said, "If this turns out to be true and I don't go to Heaven, I will earn my place in Hell before October." PCollen said, "Have a good flight. BTW, can all you soon to be departers leave me your bank account ID and passwords?" KMAN said, "People! You've got it all wrong! Everybody knows that the world won't end until that fateful day when the Chicago Cubs are one out away from winning the World Series."

Some Christian CNN.com readers who didn't subscribe to the prediction defended their religion:

gmn835 said, "Matthew 24:36 No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. (NIV)" Iago said, "If we Christians everywhere would stop trying to figure out God's plan and concentrate more on being the hands and feet of Jesus by reaching those who are lost, you'll touch more people as opposed to sending out RVs with 'Repent Now ... ' pamphlets and billboards." While Isaac quoted Robert G. Ingersoll –"The inspiration of the bible depends on the ignorance of the person who reads it" - Bob said, "Don't lump all Christian's together. 99% don't think this way." LindaMae said, "No one can be sure when the world will end - we just have to be ready always - start by forgiving yourself and then others. Be at peace with yourself so you won't have to worry when the time comes."

U.S. sanctions target Syrian president, Iranian commanders

President Obama has imposed sanctions against six senior Syrian officials and two Iranian Quds Force commanders in an effort to stop the regime's fierce crackdown on protesters. The effort comes after more than two months of unrest in Syria and reports of hundreds of deaths and thousands of arrests.

CNN.com readers had mixed reactions to the president's action:

Neutronium said, "Sanctions. Let the escalation begin." sammoor said, "Great work President Obama. This regime deserves a shakeup." randypeel said, "Assad Jr. of Syria is worse than Gadhafi of Libya , Mubarak of Egypt , and Ben Ali of Tunisia." Tsimbi7 said, "Sanctions. Never HAVE worked. Never will." RealHist4Me said, "Where are the sanctions for Yemen and Bahrain?" sam9999999 said, "Oh no, sanctions! Not sanctions! Somehow, some way, this will cost us billions."

Goss68 said, "Why aren't we bombing targets in Syria and trying to take out Assad? The situation is much worse than it was in Libya. Assad's regime has killed more than 2000 people since the pro freedom activities started five weeks ago in Syria. That's more casualties than all the other pro-freedom events in Tunisia, Egypt and Lybia combined. Thirty years ago, his father killed over 40 thousand innocent children, women and elderly in the town of Hamma. Jr. will do the same, or worse if not constrained. President Obama, it is time for you to tell Assad to leave power."

justaword said, "Sanctions against another country? Give me a break. It would be nice if Obama focused on real problems facing the US. How about sanctions against our own Congress to get back to work and stop playing politics with our future otherwise the street riots similar to the Middle East are going to begin here in America."

Kevin442 said, "I say that sanctions, done right, are a good, nonviolent way to put pressure on the leaders of Syria. However, I caution that we keep an eye on how it will affect the price of food in Syria. At times, people might bite the hand that feeds them. But they will for a fact rip out the throats of those who starve them. We do not want to be that person."

The game changer: Netflix

Thanks, in part, to the popularity of Netflix, perhaps for the first time in the Internet's history, the largest percentage of its traffic is content that is paid for. Netflix streaming movies now fill more of the U.S.'s Internet tubes than any other service, and streaming real-time entertainment is also on the rise.

Many CNN.com readers posted comments about how Netflix has changed the way they view at-home entertainment.

cobaltblue said, "See what happens when you charge a reasonable price for services? I love my Netflix streaming. Netflix has always been an excellent service and the very few service issues I've experienced have been remedied right away." NSIndiana said, "Netflix unlimited streaming movies/ TV shows = $10/month + Unlimited high speed internet through ATT = $20/month for a total of $30/month. Cable and internet through most providers = $120+ a month. Now I wonder why this is shocking." ExtremePhobi said, "I think the takeaway here is that if you make it affordable, people won't pirate."

toofly said, "I'd be distraught without my Netflix. I like TV shows but there’s nothing worse than watching 20 minutes of commercials in a 60 minute episode just to be left with a cliffhanger you need to wait a week for to see the end. With Netflix you can get rid of all of that." But PCTech714 responded, "I can't believe that in this day and age no one has heard of a DVR. If I want to skip commercials, I push the skip button on my remote and it fast forwards 30 seconds at a time. Usually after a few presses I'm back to the program. As far as cliffhangers go: that's the whole point. Sometimes the "NOW NOW NOW" mentality of this world disturbs me ... "

Do you feel your views align with these commenters' thoughts? Post a comment below or sound off on video

new jersey lottery

1. Lee

I didn't see that aspect. What if when nothing happens, we decide that the rapture did happen, just every person was so sinful, they did not go. Ha Ha, that will be my interpretation!

May 19, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  2. elvir

Do not push the nose into things of God
    only what God says so will be
    playing with the planet like they are children
    Turn off the nuclear masihne
    phones and to stop removing oill the planet because it is the blood when the planet disappears oill then we will disappear

May 19, 2011 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  3. Jack

You mean I cant see the Hangover part 2 on the 26th? What the duece !!!

May 19, 2011 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  4. Bernie

I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

May 19, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Andy

Good one Bernie!

May 19, 2011 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  5. brooklynmc

these nimrods will just change the date again and start their stupidity all over again.

May 19, 2011 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  6. Bro. Murez

HAROLD CAMPING – "YOU ARE WRONG" In the process you have done an injustice to true Christianity. Not that it hurt us but you've made it difficult to get people to believe the truth. The end will come and we're indeed in that time BUT MAY 21, 2011 IS NOT IT.To all – note the following Scriptures which are true.

Matt 24:3 – 14 (KJV) the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?
    And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you. For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many. And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places. All these are the beginning of sorrows. Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake. And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another. And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many. And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved. And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

May 19, 2011 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Dave K

So basically, what Jesus was saying is, "don't take any wooden nickels." Got it.

May 19, 2011 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Kevin

Your delusion is just the same as his, he just had the balls to put a date on it.

May 19, 2011 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Todd

Hey Christ eater, try to prove yourself without using that book of fables you worship.

May 19, 2011 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  7. AL

As stated by gmn835, Matthew 24:36 "No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." The people saying the now the end "cough" is a slam against the Lord because they "know" the end when God said that no one would.

If anything, besides a big laugh, it does bring up the point of people need to slow down and be thankful for what they have and enjoy life and those who are important to them.

May 19, 2011 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  8. judmike

I had never heard of Rapure until about 15 years ago. I went to Sunday School, etc. as a child. When someone explained it to me, it was the biggest lie yet about Christian beliefs. Must be another scam conerning money.

May 19, 2011 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  9. Andy

Living proof that humans can and usually are the stupidest living creatures on earth.

May 19, 2011 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Todd

Maybe so, but our penises are disproportionately large for our body mass (compared to other mammals).

May 19, 2011 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  10. LJ

They can't lose. If the world ends, they win. If nothing happens they will claims (as so, so many false prophets of this ilk before them have claimed), that their personal prayers (ie their personal hotline to G-d) stayed the judgement and the Lord took mercy and withheld his wrath. What a hoke.

May 19, 2011 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Todd

Except I don't think these people are trying to stave off the Judgement. They want it to happen.

May 19, 2011 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Jack

Dont give them a escape route. These nutjobs haven't (yet) said that they are praying for mercy or a gold plated divine turd or whatever. They re only repenting and forgiving and brain farting.

May 19, 2011 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  11. Randy

Either these people are crazy or they are smoking some good weed

May 19, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  12. Concerned

Harold Camping should be charged and fined for predicting the end of the world every few years. My father who is normally very smart has been a pain in the azz since Mr. Camping's first prediction of 1994. He has devoted all of his "family time" to listening to this waterhead instead of being a father.

Please lock this idiot Harold Camping up for instilling fear into his brainwashed followers while collecting money to keep his pockets fat.

May 19, 2011 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  13. Sutler

Just be sure to pack a clean pair of underwear.

May 19, 2011 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  14. Barry

There is one thing that can be said about the recent prediction about the world ending on May 21, and that is it has people thinking about the end and talking about it. And surely this was the point of this teaching we find in the Scriptures. They warn us that there will be an end for every one of us.

The point then, and now, is–there is an end.

And whether this end comes on May 21, or whether it comes on another date, or with our natural passing, there is an end for each of us, and each of us must deal with inevitability of our death and the grave.

We who are Christians realize how vulnerable we are and realize how powerless we are, in the face of something as terrible and awesome as death and the grave; and, for this reason we put our hope and trust in the promises of God and Jesus Christ. We believe that through Christ’s crucifixion and death—and only through Christ—can we have redemption and hope of eternal life.

I don’t know whether the world will end on May 21, but I know that for me the end is coming, and it will come soon.

Jesus point: Be ready!

May 19, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  15. Marie

Hey did we miss the news? Is Hale-Bopp coming around again? What a bunch of garbage... If I knew the end was coming, I'd be maxing out my credit cards, but alas, on the 21st, my car payment is due along with other bills ... I really hate these naysayers...

May 19, 2011 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |