Overheard on CNN.com: Scoff and concern for end-of-the-worlders
May 18th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Scoff and concern for end-of-the-worlders

Comment of the day:

"It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine." – Lolita

Tick tock goes the doomsday clock

The beginning of the end of the world, in some people's minds, is near - like this Saturday. According to loyal listeners of Family Radio, founded by Harold Camping and based in Oakland, California, Saturday will usher in the beginning of Judgment Day. They believe a massive worldwide earthquake will strike, leading to five months of death and destruction culminating on October 21, when the Earth will no longer exist.

Some CNN.com readers expressed strong skepticism about the "end of days" prediction, and some felt empathy for the people who have given up their possessions, jobs and family to spread the message.

Acts 2:38 said, "The rapture will NOT take place on May 21st. I feel so bad for the poor people who have bought into Mr. Campings lies." Claymation said, "This Camping fellow knows exactly what he's doing. He's done it all before. The fact is that he's feeding off these people, whether it be for money or fame, he's getting what he wants. May 21st will come and go and he'll say something like, 'Oops, I guess I miss calculated' and change the date." Walt said, "I hope Mr. Campings gets sued by all these people that have been following him. What are these poor people going to do on Monday when they realize they have no jobs, no belongings and probably no money?" Martha said, "I really, really feel sorry for the children of these people who have to spend these next few days terrified of the world ending Saturday evening, and the supposed mechanics of that, and then the issue of how will they will adjust to their reality for years to come."

Other readers found the idea amusing and responded in kind:

Donnie said, "Wow. This is actually good news for me. I've got a bunch of drywall and painting work to finish at the house this weekend, so this will really take a lot off my plate. Thanks God for freeing up my weekends ... FOR ETERNITY!" J said, "If we're supposed to be 'sorted' on the 21st, I hope I’m on Gryffindor!" NB said, "Thank God I'm playing golf on Friday. Maybe I can go out with a round of glory!" D said, "Darn. My End of the World Party doesn't start until 6:30 on Saturday." Jason Goodrich said, "End of The World Parties are always the best. Usually it's on a hurricane day. I hope the weather is good Saturday night." JohnnerMan said, "I'm glad that God acknowledges our (man-made) International Date Line. I wonder if heaven observes daylight savings time?" curleyg said, "I need to know what time Sat. Do I bet the Preakness or not?" Outawork said, "Oh boy!!! Now I don't have to worry about finding a job, but with my luck I'll win the lottery this Saturday." The Jackdaw said, "If this turns out to be true and I don't go to Heaven, I will earn my place in Hell before October." PCollen said, "Have a good flight. BTW, can all you soon to be departers leave me your bank account ID and passwords?" KMAN said, "People! You've got it all wrong! Everybody knows that the world won't end until that fateful day when the Chicago Cubs are one out away from winning the World Series."

Some Christian CNN.com readers who didn't subscribe to the prediction defended their religion:

gmn835 said, "Matthew 24:36 No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. (NIV)" Iago said, "If we Christians everywhere would stop trying to figure out God's plan and concentrate more on being the hands and feet of Jesus by reaching those who are lost, you'll touch more people as opposed to sending out RVs with 'Repent Now ... ' pamphlets and billboards." While Isaac quoted Robert G. Ingersoll –"The inspiration of the bible depends on the ignorance of the person who reads it" - Bob said, "Don't lump all Christian's together. 99% don't think this way." LindaMae said, "No one can be sure when the world will end - we just have to be ready always - start by forgiving yourself and then others. Be at peace with yourself so you won't have to worry when the time comes."

U.S. sanctions target Syrian president, Iranian commanders

President Obama has imposed sanctions against six senior Syrian officials and two Iranian Quds Force commanders in an effort to stop the regime's fierce crackdown on protesters. The effort comes after more than two months of unrest in Syria and reports of hundreds of deaths and thousands of arrests.

CNN.com readers had mixed reactions to the president's action:

Neutronium said, "Sanctions. Let the escalation begin." sammoor said, "Great work President Obama. This regime deserves a shakeup." randypeel said, "Assad Jr. of Syria is worse than Gadhafi of Libya , Mubarak of Egypt , and Ben Ali of Tunisia." Tsimbi7 said, "Sanctions. Never HAVE worked. Never will." RealHist4Me said, "Where are the sanctions for Yemen and Bahrain?" sam9999999 said, "Oh no, sanctions! Not sanctions! Somehow, some way, this will cost us billions."

Goss68 said, "Why aren't we bombing targets in Syria and trying to take out Assad? The situation is much worse than it was in Libya. Assad's regime has killed more than 2000 people since the pro freedom activities started five weeks ago in Syria. That's more casualties than all the other pro-freedom events in Tunisia, Egypt and Lybia combined. Thirty years ago, his father killed over 40 thousand innocent children, women and elderly in the town of Hamma. Jr. will do the same, or worse if not constrained. President Obama, it is time for you to tell Assad to leave power."

justaword said, "Sanctions against another country? Give me a break. It would be nice if Obama focused on real problems facing the US. How about sanctions against our own Congress to get back to work and stop playing politics with our future otherwise the street riots similar to the Middle East are going to begin here in America."

Kevin442 said, "I say that sanctions, done right, are a good, nonviolent way to put pressure on the leaders of Syria. However, I caution that we keep an eye on how it will affect the price of food in Syria. At times, people might bite the hand that feeds them. But they will for a fact rip out the throats of those who starve them. We do not want to be that person."

The game changer: Netflix

Thanks, in part, to the popularity of Netflix, perhaps for the first time in the Internet's history, the largest percentage of its traffic is content that is paid for. Netflix streaming movies now fill more of the U.S.'s Internet tubes than any other service, and streaming real-time entertainment is also on the rise.

Many CNN.com readers posted comments about how Netflix has changed the way they view at-home entertainment.

cobaltblue said, "See what happens when you charge a reasonable price for services? I love my Netflix streaming. Netflix has always been an excellent service and the very few service issues I've experienced have been remedied right away." NSIndiana said, "Netflix unlimited streaming movies/ TV shows = $10/month + Unlimited high speed internet through ATT = $20/month for a total of $30/month. Cable and internet through most providers = $120+ a month. Now I wonder why this is shocking." ExtremePhobi said, "I think the takeaway here is that if you make it affordable, people won't pirate."

toofly said, "I'd be distraught without my Netflix. I like TV shows but there’s nothing worse than watching 20 minutes of commercials in a 60 minute episode just to be left with a cliffhanger you need to wait a week for to see the end. With Netflix you can get rid of all of that." But PCTech714 responded, "I can't believe that in this day and age no one has heard of a DVR. If I want to skip commercials, I push the skip button on my remote and it fast forwards 30 seconds at a time. Usually after a few presses I'm back to the program. As far as cliffhangers go: that's the whole point. Sometimes the "NOW NOW NOW" mentality of this world disturbs me ... "

Do you feel your views align with these commenters' thoughts? Post a comment below or sound off on video

new jersey lottery

1. Stacy

To the true Christian, (or Jew, or Muslim, or any other faith) Every Day is Judgment Day. We are taught that all of our actions are accountable as they happen. If we live our lives thusly, then it doesn't matter when the end comes. We'll be ready. At least, this is how I was raised. We were raised Christian, but in our household we were taught to respect every religion and every culture. My mother was WAY ahead of her time in terms of enlightenment. Mother taught us early on that the creator does not mind what we might call him, he answers everyone equally. I was taught that whenever the end comes, to be ready.

May 19, 2011 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  2. Erin

There sure are going to be a lot of very depressed Christians at chruch on Sunday. "Hey, how come NO ONE from our congregation was raptured yesterday"? Bummer.

May 19, 2011 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  3. TG

Jesus paralleled the time period before the "great tribulation"(Matt 24:21) with the "days of Noah"(Matt 24:37-39), a length of 120 years.(Gen 6:3) This strongly indicates that the time before the removal of the "wicked one" (Ps 37:9, 10) will be of considerable time, in order for a world-wide Bible educational work to be fully accomplished that is being directed by Jesus Christ.

Jesus gave his disciples this command: "Go therefore and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded you." Jesus now expresses this assurance: "And, look! I am with you all the days until the conclusion of the system of things.”(Matt 28:19, 20)

Hence, those who are Jesus disciples will be working diligently ' making disciples of people of all the nations', "teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded you" before this "system of things" comes to an end. This requires going to people's homes (Matt 10:11-14) in order to find those who are teachable, instructing them about ' Jehovah's ways'.(Isa 2:3) As a result, one thing that these will learn is that they have to "beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning shears. Nation will not lift up sword against nation, neither will they learn war anymore."(Isa 2:4)

In addition, the Bible book of Revelation provides details and a time line of events that will preceed the destruction of all human governments (Rev 19:19-21; Dan 2:44), the total annihilation of "Babylon the Great"(Rev 17:5), the world empire of false religion.(Rev 18:8). Once God has put his "one thought" into the hearts of the "ten horns"(Rev 16, 17), all human governments existing during our time period, to wipe all false religion off the face of the earth, this starts a rapid domino effect, leading immediately into Armageddon, "the war of the great day of God the Almighty."(Rev 16:14, 16)

This war is God against the "nations", in which Jesus, leading the heavenly armies, is told by his Father, Jehovah God: "You will break them with an iron scepter, as though a potter’s vessel you will dash them to pieces.”(Ps 2:9)

May 19, 2011 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
    • peter

The End of the World according to Jehova's Witnesses....go figure...

May 19, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
    • honestmiss

well someone has to be right, it wouldn't suprise me at all if it were the Jehovah witness. They are the only ones who have the courage to preach to the public. They don't go to war and have nothing to do with politics, just like Jesus. They aren't popular, but neither was Jesus.

May 19, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Chris

No one can be that insane to believe what these nutjobs are saying. They just want their 15 minutes. What do you think they are going to announce on May 22?

May 19, 2011 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Mel

They'll say it was a test, but the world isn't ready. Some garbage like that. Backpedal, and they'll move on.

May 19, 2011 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  5. Common Sense

I have very strong faith in the Creator, but does anyone else see the irony in someone holding up a sign that reminds people not to lean on their own understanding, while at the same time proclaiming their certainty that the world will end on Saturday?

May 19, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  6. ES

KOOKS! PERIOD! I want to know what they are going to be doing sunday, and will they be angry that they are not dead?

May 19, 2011 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  7. Grace

Mr Camping and his group should start praying for forgiveness.

May 19, 2011 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
    • USArmyOverLord

They need to pray for wisdom. LOL

May 19, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  8. glu

Just another market Short.

May 19, 2011 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  9. Annoyed

What upsets me is that this is a very small group of so called "Christian" crazies, yet ppl are treating this as if ALL Christians believe this. No real Christian would ever believe anything this group is saying. This is what the Bible says, for those of you who don't know or are quick to follow these crazy cults.... Matthew 24:36 "No one knows when that day or hour will come. Even the angels in heaven and the Son don't know. Only the Father knows." Also, the Bible warns of false prophets throughout the scriptures. Here is only one of those scriptures...Matthew 7:15 "Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves."

May 19, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rodney W. Broome

Right on!

May 19, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Larry

Shweet! Can't wait until 6:01 pm when all the "good" people are gone. The sinners are much more fun. Party at my house!

May 19, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Kathy Burklund

They are all crazies!!!

May 19, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  12. PointerI

Yes after all the good people are gone.. end of world party "Ceaser" style at my house .. we are sinners.

May 19, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  13. USArmyOverLord

Forget all that end of the world nonsense. Just predict the mega millions numbers and email them to me. If it hits I'll be a believer LOL.

May 19, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Sam

These people may be Christians because they believe in Jesus Christ and GOD, however, they obviously are leading people astray because Jesus clearly states that noone knows the time or the place. These are typical Christians that pick and choose what to believe and alter from the word of GOD. Jesus warns us about these False Prophets. If you are a true Christian who knows and trusts the words of Jesus, then you know without a shadow of a doubt, that you will enjoy your May 21st 2011 and Judgement will not take place. However we all should be ready, "Matthew 24:43-44 (NIV) "But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into. So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him."

May 19, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Bullarky

The fact that anyone is foolish enough to lose all they own to follow yet ANOTHER end of days prediction is unbelievable. When I see Jesus himself drop from the sky in ninja dress with 4 horseman in tow and says "lets clean house", THEN i'll believe it..

May 19, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |