Overheard on CNN.com: Scoff and concern for end-of-the-worlders
May 18th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Scoff and concern for end-of-the-worlders

Comment of the day:

"It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine." – Lolita

Tick tock goes the doomsday clock

The beginning of the end of the world, in some people's minds, is near - like this Saturday. According to loyal listeners of Family Radio, founded by Harold Camping and based in Oakland, California, Saturday will usher in the beginning of Judgment Day. They believe a massive worldwide earthquake will strike, leading to five months of death and destruction culminating on October 21, when the Earth will no longer exist.

Some CNN.com readers expressed strong skepticism about the "end of days" prediction, and some felt empathy for the people who have given up their possessions, jobs and family to spread the message.

Acts 2:38 said, "The rapture will NOT take place on May 21st. I feel so bad for the poor people who have bought into Mr. Campings lies." Claymation said, "This Camping fellow knows exactly what he's doing. He's done it all before. The fact is that he's feeding off these people, whether it be for money or fame, he's getting what he wants. May 21st will come and go and he'll say something like, 'Oops, I guess I miss calculated' and change the date." Walt said, "I hope Mr. Campings gets sued by all these people that have been following him. What are these poor people going to do on Monday when they realize they have no jobs, no belongings and probably no money?" Martha said, "I really, really feel sorry for the children of these people who have to spend these next few days terrified of the world ending Saturday evening, and the supposed mechanics of that, and then the issue of how will they will adjust to their reality for years to come."

Other readers found the idea amusing and responded in kind:

Donnie said, "Wow. This is actually good news for me. I've got a bunch of drywall and painting work to finish at the house this weekend, so this will really take a lot off my plate. Thanks God for freeing up my weekends ... FOR ETERNITY!" J said, "If we're supposed to be 'sorted' on the 21st, I hope I’m on Gryffindor!" NB said, "Thank God I'm playing golf on Friday. Maybe I can go out with a round of glory!" D said, "Darn. My End of the World Party doesn't start until 6:30 on Saturday." Jason Goodrich said, "End of The World Parties are always the best. Usually it's on a hurricane day. I hope the weather is good Saturday night." JohnnerMan said, "I'm glad that God acknowledges our (man-made) International Date Line. I wonder if heaven observes daylight savings time?" curleyg said, "I need to know what time Sat. Do I bet the Preakness or not?" Outawork said, "Oh boy!!! Now I don't have to worry about finding a job, but with my luck I'll win the lottery this Saturday." The Jackdaw said, "If this turns out to be true and I don't go to Heaven, I will earn my place in Hell before October." PCollen said, "Have a good flight. BTW, can all you soon to be departers leave me your bank account ID and passwords?" KMAN said, "People! You've got it all wrong! Everybody knows that the world won't end until that fateful day when the Chicago Cubs are one out away from winning the World Series."

Some Christian CNN.com readers who didn't subscribe to the prediction defended their religion:

gmn835 said, "Matthew 24:36 No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. (NIV)" Iago said, "If we Christians everywhere would stop trying to figure out God's plan and concentrate more on being the hands and feet of Jesus by reaching those who are lost, you'll touch more people as opposed to sending out RVs with 'Repent Now ... ' pamphlets and billboards." While Isaac quoted Robert G. Ingersoll –"The inspiration of the bible depends on the ignorance of the person who reads it" - Bob said, "Don't lump all Christian's together. 99% don't think this way." LindaMae said, "No one can be sure when the world will end - we just have to be ready always - start by forgiving yourself and then others. Be at peace with yourself so you won't have to worry when the time comes."

U.S. sanctions target Syrian president, Iranian commanders

President Obama has imposed sanctions against six senior Syrian officials and two Iranian Quds Force commanders in an effort to stop the regime's fierce crackdown on protesters. The effort comes after more than two months of unrest in Syria and reports of hundreds of deaths and thousands of arrests.

CNN.com readers had mixed reactions to the president's action:

Neutronium said, "Sanctions. Let the escalation begin." sammoor said, "Great work President Obama. This regime deserves a shakeup." randypeel said, "Assad Jr. of Syria is worse than Gadhafi of Libya , Mubarak of Egypt , and Ben Ali of Tunisia." Tsimbi7 said, "Sanctions. Never HAVE worked. Never will." RealHist4Me said, "Where are the sanctions for Yemen and Bahrain?" sam9999999 said, "Oh no, sanctions! Not sanctions! Somehow, some way, this will cost us billions."

Goss68 said, "Why aren't we bombing targets in Syria and trying to take out Assad? The situation is much worse than it was in Libya. Assad's regime has killed more than 2000 people since the pro freedom activities started five weeks ago in Syria. That's more casualties than all the other pro-freedom events in Tunisia, Egypt and Lybia combined. Thirty years ago, his father killed over 40 thousand innocent children, women and elderly in the town of Hamma. Jr. will do the same, or worse if not constrained. President Obama, it is time for you to tell Assad to leave power."

justaword said, "Sanctions against another country? Give me a break. It would be nice if Obama focused on real problems facing the US. How about sanctions against our own Congress to get back to work and stop playing politics with our future otherwise the street riots similar to the Middle East are going to begin here in America."

Kevin442 said, "I say that sanctions, done right, are a good, nonviolent way to put pressure on the leaders of Syria. However, I caution that we keep an eye on how it will affect the price of food in Syria. At times, people might bite the hand that feeds them. But they will for a fact rip out the throats of those who starve them. We do not want to be that person."

The game changer: Netflix

Thanks, in part, to the popularity of Netflix, perhaps for the first time in the Internet's history, the largest percentage of its traffic is content that is paid for. Netflix streaming movies now fill more of the U.S.'s Internet tubes than any other service, and streaming real-time entertainment is also on the rise.

Many CNN.com readers posted comments about how Netflix has changed the way they view at-home entertainment.

cobaltblue said, "See what happens when you charge a reasonable price for services? I love my Netflix streaming. Netflix has always been an excellent service and the very few service issues I've experienced have been remedied right away." NSIndiana said, "Netflix unlimited streaming movies/ TV shows = $10/month + Unlimited high speed internet through ATT = $20/month for a total of $30/month. Cable and internet through most providers = $120+ a month. Now I wonder why this is shocking." ExtremePhobi said, "I think the takeaway here is that if you make it affordable, people won't pirate."

toofly said, "I'd be distraught without my Netflix. I like TV shows but there’s nothing worse than watching 20 minutes of commercials in a 60 minute episode just to be left with a cliffhanger you need to wait a week for to see the end. With Netflix you can get rid of all of that." But PCTech714 responded, "I can't believe that in this day and age no one has heard of a DVR. If I want to skip commercials, I push the skip button on my remote and it fast forwards 30 seconds at a time. Usually after a few presses I'm back to the program. As far as cliffhangers go: that's the whole point. Sometimes the "NOW NOW NOW" mentality of this world disturbs me ... "

Do you feel your views align with these commenters' thoughts? Post a comment below or sound off on video

new jersey lottery

1. Brown

THE BIBLE SAID NO MAN WILL KNOW THE DAY OR THE HOUR.....

May 19, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Samantha Jaymes

To quote...Matthew 24:36 ""No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." The bible clearly states in this scipture that No One knows about that day or that hour not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. So, for one person, or for a group of people, to give an exact day and an exact hour of Judgment day, is insaine!!! Does this person or this group of people really believe that they are privy to information that the angels of heaven and the Son of God, Jesus, himself is not privy to. I mean seriously do these people think that they are above the angels in heaven and Jesus himself??? Why would God give information to this person or to this group of people that he has not given to his angels in heaven and Jesus, his Son??? This person and this group of of followers are yet just another group of false prophets that have come to do the work of satan...kill, steal, and destroy!!! This person and this group of people are Just one of many to come!!! We as chrisitians or we as people seeking out christianity or seeking out God in anyway need to seek God and what he says in his word, the bible, or we will perish for lack of knowledge as the poor people that have sold homes, possessions, and given up Jobs. I feel sorry for all of those who have lost it all to this person or group of people ((false prophets)) and my prayers go out to them all.

In addition to my comments I would like to say that I feel so sorry for all of the people who have given up thier jobs, thier homes, and thier possessions, to follow this Idiot!!! My prayers are with all of them!!!

May 20, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Brown

The Bible said No man will know the Day or the hour...AMEN

May 19, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  3. flippin

My sentiments exactly. My heart breaks for those children.

May 19, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Blake

Ask these people to write you a $200 check postdated for May 22, and watch their beliefs waver. This is just attention seeking.

May 19, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  5. convenant

For God so loved the world that he sent his only Son to destroy it? Come on Pastor...If you read Matthew 24 vs 3, Jesus is talking about the end of the "age" not the end of the "world". Don't believe me? Then go back to the original Greek language. The New American Standard Bible is a good translation of the original Greek and Aramaic languages. Jesus goes on to predict the destruction of the temple and notes that "all of these things will take place" while the people (generation living 2000 years ago) were still alive. This is also evident Luke's gospel Chapter 21 v 32 without all the apocoliptic language found in Matthew's gospel. Guess what, Jerusalem was seiged and the temple was destroyed in 70 AD. God loves us. See everyone on the 22nd.

May 19, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Warren brown

Dear Cnn

on 4-21-09 God the Father Through Christ His Son By the Power Of the Holy Spirit. Consumed and Spoke to me. I was in heaven just at the Sound of His Voice. This is what God the Father Through Christ His son by the Power of the Holy spirit said. "In the beginning there was adam and eve and they fell due to there pride. There is good and bad in all the world and good can be brought forth from the bad. Going on to say we are in the fifth chapter of a 12 part chapter in the history of mankind. Things are going to get worse before they get Better.There is One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church and all other churches are Offsprings. I have gone ahead and sent the Holy Spirit throughout the Whole world." This is no joke and this is no lie. God is no liar all I am is proclaiming is the truth in which God Chose to reveal.

1.The cross of Christ remained in Haiti earthquake 2.New zealand christ church shook twice 3. Hurricane Igor flooded Corpus Christ=Body Of Christ 4 Lightning struck 6 story tall statue of Christ in ohio. 5. 7 missing hikers found in Zion next to Virgin! 6. Halo Cloud Over russia that appeared is identical to the one that appears in a 1486 painting called the "annunciation". 8. Chille earthquake in conccepion occured on the anniversary day the Immaculate conception appeared to st. bernadette in 1858.

It will all continue till all the world goes to believe. God never Lied. "Upon this rock you shall build my Church" If the world wants to live. Believe and Receive for without Christ you have no life in you.

May 19, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Immagurl

Lol...what will u say on may 22nd ????

May 19, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  7. jb

Here is my prophecy – Saturday will come and go with nothing happening. The leader however will "disappear"....but probably to some secluded place in Mexico. His followers will think he was raptured but he will in actuality take on a new name and live in luxury until the real end comes.

May 19, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • fliipin

With all that money being donated his way, you're probably right. His bags are already packed, I'm sure.

May 20, 2011 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
  8. abubakr

trhis totally stupid.
    if it does not happen, he should pay me 200,000 dollars !

May 19, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Immagurl

My college roomate is really scared about this but she is nieve and gullible. She says that he said there was going to be a massive earthquake to kick it all off. I am debating on whether I should start rocking her bed before she is awake on May 21st just to see her reaction. Would this be too cruel???

May 19, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Blondie

toe Dancing very close Barely breathing Almost comatose Wall to wall People hypnotized And they're stepping lightly Hang each night in Rapture Back to back Sacroiliac Spineless movement And a wild attack Face to face Sadly solitude And it's finger popping Twenty-four hour shopping in Rapture Fab Five Freddie told me everybody's high DJ's spinnin' are savin' my mind Flash is fast, Flash is cool Francois sez fas, Flashe' no do And you don't stop, sure shot Go out to the parking lot And you get in your car and you drive real far And you drive all night and then you see a light And it comes right down and lands on the ground And out comes a man from Mars And you try to run but he's got a gun And he shoots you dead and he eats your head And then you're in the man from Mars You go out at night, eatin' cars You eat Cadillacs, Lincolns too Mercurys and Subarus And you don't stop, you keep on eatin' cars Then, when there's no more cars You go out at night and eat up bars where the people meet Face to face, dance cheek to cheek One to one, man to man Dance toe to toe Don't move to slow, 'cause the man from Mars Is through with cars, he's eatin' bars Yeah, wall to wall, door to door, hall to hall He's gonna eat 'em all Rapture, be pure Take a tour, through the sewer Don't strain your brain, paint a train You'll be singin' in the rain I said don't stop, to punk rock Well now you see what you wanna be Just have your party on TV 'Cause the man from Mars won't eat up bars when the TV's on And now he's gone back up to space Where he won't have a hassle with the human race And you hip-hop, and you don't stop Just blast off, sure shot 'Cause the man from Mars stopped eatin' cars

May 19, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • tessa

BING!!!!!!!

May 20, 2011 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
  11. jim

Ho hum,heard it all before. Get back to me when you get a real date, which will probably be when Geraldo finds Capone's vault.

May 19, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  12. cool kat

I suppose all the global warmers ought to believe it though, since Revelations does say that the world will end in fire. Of course by that logic religious people ought to believe in global warming too.

May 19, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  13. William Shakespeare Shatner Shut Up

Gee 356 comments on this stupid story. Looks like doomsday is good for business eh CNN?

May 19, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |