Overheard on CNN.com: Scoff and concern for end-of-the-worlders
May 18th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Scoff and concern for end-of-the-worlders

Comment of the day:

"It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine." – Lolita

Tick tock goes the doomsday clock

The beginning of the end of the world, in some people's minds, is near - like this Saturday. According to loyal listeners of Family Radio, founded by Harold Camping and based in Oakland, California, Saturday will usher in the beginning of Judgment Day. They believe a massive worldwide earthquake will strike, leading to five months of death and destruction culminating on October 21, when the Earth will no longer exist.

Some CNN.com readers expressed strong skepticism about the "end of days" prediction, and some felt empathy for the people who have given up their possessions, jobs and family to spread the message.

Acts 2:38 said, "The rapture will NOT take place on May 21st. I feel so bad for the poor people who have bought into Mr. Campings lies." Claymation said, "This Camping fellow knows exactly what he's doing. He's done it all before. The fact is that he's feeding off these people, whether it be for money or fame, he's getting what he wants. May 21st will come and go and he'll say something like, 'Oops, I guess I miss calculated' and change the date." Walt said, "I hope Mr. Campings gets sued by all these people that have been following him. What are these poor people going to do on Monday when they realize they have no jobs, no belongings and probably no money?" Martha said, "I really, really feel sorry for the children of these people who have to spend these next few days terrified of the world ending Saturday evening, and the supposed mechanics of that, and then the issue of how will they will adjust to their reality for years to come."

Other readers found the idea amusing and responded in kind:

Donnie said, "Wow. This is actually good news for me. I've got a bunch of drywall and painting work to finish at the house this weekend, so this will really take a lot off my plate. Thanks God for freeing up my weekends ... FOR ETERNITY!" J said, "If we're supposed to be 'sorted' on the 21st, I hope I’m on Gryffindor!" NB said, "Thank God I'm playing golf on Friday. Maybe I can go out with a round of glory!" D said, "Darn. My End of the World Party doesn't start until 6:30 on Saturday." Jason Goodrich said, "End of The World Parties are always the best. Usually it's on a hurricane day. I hope the weather is good Saturday night." JohnnerMan said, "I'm glad that God acknowledges our (man-made) International Date Line. I wonder if heaven observes daylight savings time?" curleyg said, "I need to know what time Sat. Do I bet the Preakness or not?" Outawork said, "Oh boy!!! Now I don't have to worry about finding a job, but with my luck I'll win the lottery this Saturday." The Jackdaw said, "If this turns out to be true and I don't go to Heaven, I will earn my place in Hell before October." PCollen said, "Have a good flight. BTW, can all you soon to be departers leave me your bank account ID and passwords?" KMAN said, "People! You've got it all wrong! Everybody knows that the world won't end until that fateful day when the Chicago Cubs are one out away from winning the World Series."

Some Christian CNN.com readers who didn't subscribe to the prediction defended their religion:

gmn835 said, "Matthew 24:36 No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. (NIV)" Iago said, "If we Christians everywhere would stop trying to figure out God's plan and concentrate more on being the hands and feet of Jesus by reaching those who are lost, you'll touch more people as opposed to sending out RVs with 'Repent Now ... ' pamphlets and billboards." While Isaac quoted Robert G. Ingersoll –"The inspiration of the bible depends on the ignorance of the person who reads it" - Bob said, "Don't lump all Christian's together. 99% don't think this way." LindaMae said, "No one can be sure when the world will end - we just have to be ready always - start by forgiving yourself and then others. Be at peace with yourself so you won't have to worry when the time comes."

U.S. sanctions target Syrian president, Iranian commanders

President Obama has imposed sanctions against six senior Syrian officials and two Iranian Quds Force commanders in an effort to stop the regime's fierce crackdown on protesters. The effort comes after more than two months of unrest in Syria and reports of hundreds of deaths and thousands of arrests.

CNN.com readers had mixed reactions to the president's action:

Neutronium said, "Sanctions. Let the escalation begin." sammoor said, "Great work President Obama. This regime deserves a shakeup." randypeel said, "Assad Jr. of Syria is worse than Gadhafi of Libya , Mubarak of Egypt , and Ben Ali of Tunisia." Tsimbi7 said, "Sanctions. Never HAVE worked. Never will." RealHist4Me said, "Where are the sanctions for Yemen and Bahrain?" sam9999999 said, "Oh no, sanctions! Not sanctions! Somehow, some way, this will cost us billions."

Goss68 said, "Why aren't we bombing targets in Syria and trying to take out Assad? The situation is much worse than it was in Libya. Assad's regime has killed more than 2000 people since the pro freedom activities started five weeks ago in Syria. That's more casualties than all the other pro-freedom events in Tunisia, Egypt and Lybia combined. Thirty years ago, his father killed over 40 thousand innocent children, women and elderly in the town of Hamma. Jr. will do the same, or worse if not constrained. President Obama, it is time for you to tell Assad to leave power."

justaword said, "Sanctions against another country? Give me a break. It would be nice if Obama focused on real problems facing the US. How about sanctions against our own Congress to get back to work and stop playing politics with our future otherwise the street riots similar to the Middle East are going to begin here in America."

Kevin442 said, "I say that sanctions, done right, are a good, nonviolent way to put pressure on the leaders of Syria. However, I caution that we keep an eye on how it will affect the price of food in Syria. At times, people might bite the hand that feeds them. But they will for a fact rip out the throats of those who starve them. We do not want to be that person."

The game changer: Netflix

Thanks, in part, to the popularity of Netflix, perhaps for the first time in the Internet's history, the largest percentage of its traffic is content that is paid for. Netflix streaming movies now fill more of the U.S.'s Internet tubes than any other service, and streaming real-time entertainment is also on the rise.

Many CNN.com readers posted comments about how Netflix has changed the way they view at-home entertainment.

cobaltblue said, "See what happens when you charge a reasonable price for services? I love my Netflix streaming. Netflix has always been an excellent service and the very few service issues I've experienced have been remedied right away." NSIndiana said, "Netflix unlimited streaming movies/ TV shows = $10/month + Unlimited high speed internet through ATT = $20/month for a total of $30/month. Cable and internet through most providers = $120+ a month. Now I wonder why this is shocking." ExtremePhobi said, "I think the takeaway here is that if you make it affordable, people won't pirate."

toofly said, "I'd be distraught without my Netflix. I like TV shows but there’s nothing worse than watching 20 minutes of commercials in a 60 minute episode just to be left with a cliffhanger you need to wait a week for to see the end. With Netflix you can get rid of all of that." But PCTech714 responded, "I can't believe that in this day and age no one has heard of a DVR. If I want to skip commercials, I push the skip button on my remote and it fast forwards 30 seconds at a time. Usually after a few presses I'm back to the program. As far as cliffhangers go: that's the whole point. Sometimes the "NOW NOW NOW" mentality of this world disturbs me ... "

Do you feel your views align with these commenters' thoughts? Post a comment below or sound off on video

new jersey lottery

1. wil

let him be judged by 12 men and true or carried by 6 men in blue he should pay for scamming these poor souls

May 20, 2011 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Peter Pensioner

Mr. Camping Defends Himself

I wasn’t wrong. Who told you I was wrong?
      Judgement did come. Our Lord sounded the gong,
      But the tone was spiritual, and not fit
      For earthly ears. Now we’re the worse for it,
      Because the Rapture-train pulled up, and no one
      Was allowed to board, absolutely no one.
      And God himself, tortured by this result,
      Arrived at a decision. (You’ll exult,
      You godless, at what I’m about to say).
      Our Lord’s pulled the ultimate power play –
      He’s killed himself, committed deicide.
      I’m serious. The still small voice has died
      Inside of me, and that is how I know.
      Nice job, waywards, now we’ve no place to go.
      Without recourse to any higher powers,
      Oblivion that lives and breathes… is ours.

May 22, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tammy Odell from michign

This is to the so called preacher that said the world will end on may 21.....IT PLANLY STATES IN THE BIBLE....MATTHEW 24 VERSE 35 AND 36..... IT SAYS HEAVEN AND EARTH SHALL PASS AWAY THAT MY WORD SHALL NOT PASS AWAY BUT OF THAT DAY AND HOURS KNOWETH NO MAN NO NOT THE ANEGELS OF HEAVEN BUT MY FATHER ONLY......do you really read your bible?

May 24, 2011 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  2. Dr Blackinstien

Harold Camping, a 89 yr old California-based fundamentalist Christian radio broadcaster preacher and president of Family Radio, Inc., based in Oakland predicts that May 21, 2011, will mark Judgment Day, ushering in five months of torment for the unsaved until the universe finally ends on Oct. 21.

Opps! You only have one more day people!

Like many FALSE prophets, he also made a false prediction in 1994.
    Harold! Didn't you learn anything?

Jesus(God in flesh) said;
    "That day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only." Matthew 24:36

Notice! NO One knows the day or time!
    God should know since HE created it all!

Harold and his followers have not only proved their ignorance once again, but called God a liar once again!

God warns his children of FALSE prophets>> 1st John 4:1
    Many are out in the world!

God has not spoken to them or sent them>>Jeremiah 22:26

See you on May 22, 2011 Harold! It will probably be a beautiful day too!

O; the Mayan calendar date of world end on Dec 21, 2012 is also a bunch of false prophecy. Man's interpretation of end Times.

God said certain things MUST happen before the end comes! Some haven't happened YET! For God did give us CERTAIN signs to watch for!

"Let God be TRUE and every man a liar" Romans 3:4

If you want Biblical Godly Truth of End Times; watch my video!

Evangelist/Educator

May 20, 2011 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
    • David Ord

As I show in my Namaste Publishing book Your Forgotten Self Mirrored in Jesus the Christ, Jesus of Nazareth is never coming back. The divine consciousness he incarnated is incarnated in us–that's the "coming" of which he spoke. It's an internal reality, not external. There is no "end of the world," except for when our Sun burns out billions of years hence. The "end of the age" is an individual reality, when we die to ego and what Eckhart Tolle calls our pain-body, awakening to our true self, which is part of the Christ.

May 21, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Nel

Luckily it's payday Friday. Since so many will be vacuumed up into the sky, I'm not even paying the mortgage. I figure a couple liters of Rum, a Hotel Casino room, and a long, long weekend should do it. As people disappear I can take their cars, houses, spouses, etc...good times are comin!!!

May 20, 2011 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  4. MissPat

When Sunday, May 22, 2011 arrives – let us humbly fall on our knees and pray for all those precious souls who have been deceived by camping. They will need our love and support more than ever. Let's NOT say "I told you so" but reach out to them and pray. I read where one man gave his life savings 140,000 to help with costs. It's going to be a sad day when they wake up and find out it was all a lie. With Love in Christ, MissPat

May 20, 2011 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
    • David Ord

Love this comment. People are looking for something external, when it can only be found within. This will be a steppingstone for many, shifting them away from dependence on anything external, to Christ in themselves.

May 21, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  5. ...

There was an 8.4 earthquake yesterday in Libya, that does not sound too good lol. I do not know why it never made it to the the news.

May 20, 2011 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  6. ...

There was an 8.4 earthquake yesterday in Libya, that does not sound good.

May 20, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  7. Kenia

Nobody knows when the end is coming....The bible said in Matthew 25:13 "Watch therefore, for you know neither the day or the hour when the Son of man is coming" KJV......Nadie sabe ni el dia, ni la hora...La biblia dice en Mateo 25:13 "Velad, pues, porque no sabeis el dia ni la hora en que el Hijo del Hombre ha de venir"RVR...Jesus is coming up, but nobody knows when!!!!!

May 20, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  8. warren brown

Dear Cnn
    on 4-21-09 God the Father Through Christ His Son By the Power Of the Holy Spirit. Consumed and Spoke to me. I was in heaven just at the Sound of His Voice. This is what God the Father Through Christ His son by the Power of the Holy spirit said. "In the beginning there was adam and eve and they fell due to there pride. There is good and bad in all the world and good can be brought forth from the bad. Going on to say we are in the fifth chapter of a 12 part chapter in the history of mankind. Things are going to get worse before they get Better.There is One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church and all other churches are Offsprings. I have gone ahead and sent the Holy Spirit throughout the Whole world." This is no joke and this is no lie. God is no liar all I am is proclaiming is the truth in which God Chose to reveal.
    1.The cross of Christ remained in Haiti earthquake 2.New zealand christ church shook twice 3. Hurricane Igor flooded Corpus Christ=Body Of Christ 4 Lightning struck 6 story tall statue of Christ in ohio. 5. 7 missing hikers found in Zion next to Virgin! 6. Halo Cloud Over russia that appeared is identical to the one that appears in a 1486 painting called the "annunciation". 8. Chille earthquake in conccepion occured on the anniversary day the Immaculate conception appeared to st. bernadette in 1858.
    It will all continue till all the world goes to believe. God never Lied. "Upon this rock you shall build my Church" If the world wants to live. Believe and Receive for without Christ you have no life in you.

May 20, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  9. yaa

The Stolen Generation was from 1869-1969 thats the same year the Jews return to Isreal God was warning poeple. The same way they took the children in Australia thats how he was going take away the Christian but people did not pay attention. The rapture has already happened read Genesis 15 the whole chapter. I was born on 06 20 1969 and the rapture was July 1st 2009. God said I'm decendants of Isaackar in the old Testament. Revelation 18 : 2 was fulfilled when Egypt President resigned. God revealed himself to me when i was 14 years old. This is the best time to accept Jesus as your personal savior. There will be no rapture again trust me the rapture has already happened. were in the the tribulation period. below is the letter i've sent to churches around the world.
    April 28, 2011

Dear Brother's and sister's in Christ,

God has put this message on my heart to write this letter to all the churches in the world. Christ has Rapture/come for his bride on JULY 1ST 2009 at exactly 1pm to the New Jerusalem. I know when you receive this letter you want believe its OK, God is my witness. The Two witnesses in the Book of Revelation came to everybody in Dream and in vision, but people did not notice that. The rapture has also occur and people did not notice it also. We are in the Tribulation period. I told a few people and they don't believe it either. Last night when i was asleep the spirit of God came in a dream to write this letter, because it has already prophecy by the early prophet in the old Testament.

1. Around December 2007 two women who looks like angels came to me in a dream, and as I was talking to them I was talking to them, I look outside the window and I saw plenty people all ready to go. I asked them who are those people outside, and they said the people God is getting ready to go to the New Jerusalem, and my eyes opened in the dream.

2. On July 1st 2009, at exactly 1pm, i was whipped out of my body to Billions of billions miles away, I saw God , I saw Jesus, I went through the Judgment , prayed and went to the New Jerusalem.

I did not want to write this because i know nobody will believe me, but something within my spirit is forcing me to write this.

May God Richly bless any one who read this..

Yours, in Christ....

May 20, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rob

Get help... quick.

May 21, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  10. chuckmartel

There is way too much stinking religion in this country. The US seems to be a borderline high tech dark age society. A huge vehicle caravan of these morons was clogging up an exit ramp I was on the other day. These holier than thou imbecile lowlifes seemedI to think no one else mattered. Well, at least these dark age lowlifes are not blowing people up every day.

May 20, 2011 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Rob

There should be a law to lockup charlatans like Camping... What he's doing is criminal plain and simple.

May 21, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
    • JOHN D. KELLY

Some people who claim to be preachers of the Gospel seem not to read their Bible, or the read and do not believe what it says.

In the book of Matthew Chapter 24, Verses 30 and 36, Jesus Himself said- "And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven:and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my father only."

I am suggesting that Harold Camping and those whom have followed, and those who are following blindly, read the above texts of the Bible and stop being the gamestock of the world. This is not the first time that Harold Camping is making such prediction: in 1994, he predicted that that the world would come to an end on September 6, 1994.

While I believe that the world will come to an end one day, and that the signs to which the Bible pointed as signposts to the end, no one on earth or in heaven, except God knows when this will happen.We should live each day, as if it were the last day.

John D. Kelly
      Savanna-La-mar
      Jamaica

May 21, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  12. april

ppl need to read the bible more THEN THEY WOULD UNDERSTAND WATS GOING ON AROUND THEM know one know's when the world ends but (GOD) so stop scaring everyone.................

May 21, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Randy

ooh man i cant lie i had a thought on the back of my mind just a what if i also thought how does a man that can't even get his own borthday right say that he know 100% the world is going to end i am sorry but he has made many families now suffer because he wants to come out and say something that barely makes sense i mean its sad people dont have that much faith in god to turn and run i mean dont get me wrong i think the world is going to end someday but the only one that can tell that is HIM "god" so what makes people really think this i would never quit my job and run off like that because if there is a tomorrow cause it is not like he has not guessed wrong before then what you eventually become broke homeless and what about your kids and family i can understand using some paid time off lol but now there is going to be families that are going to suffer from his false accusations i hope they all go after him for what he owes them and on a serious note everyone god loves everyone of us and when the day comes if you are true to him he will be true to you so dont mark your calanders and dont panic when it is time it will be time so i wish good luck to everyone that has taken a loss because of this man my prayer's go out to you and wish you guy's good luck.

May 22, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  14. oibray

I noticed many Christians had not been recognized about the Second Coming of Christ already came here last 1844ad. So I am going to share some information about 3 promises, Christ Testss:

1: GOSPEL Preached in all World

2: TIME of GENTILES FULFILLED

3: ABOMINATION of DESOLATION

May 23, 2011 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  15. Custom Soccer Jerseys

This cool: well, like! You is my idol. I support you! I love you! Virtual network, interactive space, the real you me. In the network world, trust is the foundation, the

sincerity is a condition, tolerance and understanding is the prerequisite. The world because selfless friendship and pure, the road of life because you are not alone, my space

have your footprints and become wonderful! Is space let us exchange, wish happiness to happy forever!!!

May 24, 2011 at 3:17 am | Report abuse |