Overheard on CNN.com: Scoff and concern for end-of-the-worlders
May 18th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Scoff and concern for end-of-the-worlders

Comment of the day:

"It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine." – Lolita

Tick tock goes the doomsday clock

The beginning of the end of the world, in some people's minds, is near - like this Saturday. According to loyal listeners of Family Radio, founded by Harold Camping and based in Oakland, California, Saturday will usher in the beginning of Judgment Day. They believe a massive worldwide earthquake will strike, leading to five months of death and destruction culminating on October 21, when the Earth will no longer exist.

Some CNN.com readers expressed strong skepticism about the "end of days" prediction, and some felt empathy for the people who have given up their possessions, jobs and family to spread the message.

Acts 2:38 said, "The rapture will NOT take place on May 21st. I feel so bad for the poor people who have bought into Mr. Campings lies." Claymation said, "This Camping fellow knows exactly what he's doing. He's done it all before. The fact is that he's feeding off these people, whether it be for money or fame, he's getting what he wants. May 21st will come and go and he'll say something like, 'Oops, I guess I miss calculated' and change the date." Walt said, "I hope Mr. Campings gets sued by all these people that have been following him. What are these poor people going to do on Monday when they realize they have no jobs, no belongings and probably no money?" Martha said, "I really, really feel sorry for the children of these people who have to spend these next few days terrified of the world ending Saturday evening, and the supposed mechanics of that, and then the issue of how will they will adjust to their reality for years to come."

Other readers found the idea amusing and responded in kind:

Donnie said, "Wow. This is actually good news for me. I've got a bunch of drywall and painting work to finish at the house this weekend, so this will really take a lot off my plate. Thanks God for freeing up my weekends ... FOR ETERNITY!" J said, "If we're supposed to be 'sorted' on the 21st, I hope I’m on Gryffindor!" NB said, "Thank God I'm playing golf on Friday. Maybe I can go out with a round of glory!" D said, "Darn. My End of the World Party doesn't start until 6:30 on Saturday." Jason Goodrich said, "End of The World Parties are always the best. Usually it's on a hurricane day. I hope the weather is good Saturday night." JohnnerMan said, "I'm glad that God acknowledges our (man-made) International Date Line. I wonder if heaven observes daylight savings time?" curleyg said, "I need to know what time Sat. Do I bet the Preakness or not?" Outawork said, "Oh boy!!! Now I don't have to worry about finding a job, but with my luck I'll win the lottery this Saturday." The Jackdaw said, "If this turns out to be true and I don't go to Heaven, I will earn my place in Hell before October." PCollen said, "Have a good flight. BTW, can all you soon to be departers leave me your bank account ID and passwords?" KMAN said, "People! You've got it all wrong! Everybody knows that the world won't end until that fateful day when the Chicago Cubs are one out away from winning the World Series."

Some Christian CNN.com readers who didn't subscribe to the prediction defended their religion:

gmn835 said, "Matthew 24:36 No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. (NIV)" Iago said, "If we Christians everywhere would stop trying to figure out God's plan and concentrate more on being the hands and feet of Jesus by reaching those who are lost, you'll touch more people as opposed to sending out RVs with 'Repent Now ... ' pamphlets and billboards." While Isaac quoted Robert G. Ingersoll –"The inspiration of the bible depends on the ignorance of the person who reads it" - Bob said, "Don't lump all Christian's together. 99% don't think this way." LindaMae said, "No one can be sure when the world will end - we just have to be ready always - start by forgiving yourself and then others. Be at peace with yourself so you won't have to worry when the time comes."

U.S. sanctions target Syrian president, Iranian commanders

President Obama has imposed sanctions against six senior Syrian officials and two Iranian Quds Force commanders in an effort to stop the regime's fierce crackdown on protesters. The effort comes after more than two months of unrest in Syria and reports of hundreds of deaths and thousands of arrests.

CNN.com readers had mixed reactions to the president's action:

Neutronium said, "Sanctions. Let the escalation begin." sammoor said, "Great work President Obama. This regime deserves a shakeup." randypeel said, "Assad Jr. of Syria is worse than Gadhafi of Libya , Mubarak of Egypt , and Ben Ali of Tunisia." Tsimbi7 said, "Sanctions. Never HAVE worked. Never will." RealHist4Me said, "Where are the sanctions for Yemen and Bahrain?" sam9999999 said, "Oh no, sanctions! Not sanctions! Somehow, some way, this will cost us billions."

Goss68 said, "Why aren't we bombing targets in Syria and trying to take out Assad? The situation is much worse than it was in Libya. Assad's regime has killed more than 2000 people since the pro freedom activities started five weeks ago in Syria. That's more casualties than all the other pro-freedom events in Tunisia, Egypt and Lybia combined. Thirty years ago, his father killed over 40 thousand innocent children, women and elderly in the town of Hamma. Jr. will do the same, or worse if not constrained. President Obama, it is time for you to tell Assad to leave power."

justaword said, "Sanctions against another country? Give me a break. It would be nice if Obama focused on real problems facing the US. How about sanctions against our own Congress to get back to work and stop playing politics with our future otherwise the street riots similar to the Middle East are going to begin here in America."

Kevin442 said, "I say that sanctions, done right, are a good, nonviolent way to put pressure on the leaders of Syria. However, I caution that we keep an eye on how it will affect the price of food in Syria. At times, people might bite the hand that feeds them. But they will for a fact rip out the throats of those who starve them. We do not want to be that person."

The game changer: Netflix

Thanks, in part, to the popularity of Netflix, perhaps for the first time in the Internet's history, the largest percentage of its traffic is content that is paid for. Netflix streaming movies now fill more of the U.S.'s Internet tubes than any other service, and streaming real-time entertainment is also on the rise.

Many CNN.com readers posted comments about how Netflix has changed the way they view at-home entertainment.

cobaltblue said, "See what happens when you charge a reasonable price for services? I love my Netflix streaming. Netflix has always been an excellent service and the very few service issues I've experienced have been remedied right away." NSIndiana said, "Netflix unlimited streaming movies/ TV shows = $10/month + Unlimited high speed internet through ATT = $20/month for a total of $30/month. Cable and internet through most providers = $120+ a month. Now I wonder why this is shocking." ExtremePhobi said, "I think the takeaway here is that if you make it affordable, people won't pirate."

toofly said, "I'd be distraught without my Netflix. I like TV shows but there’s nothing worse than watching 20 minutes of commercials in a 60 minute episode just to be left with a cliffhanger you need to wait a week for to see the end. With Netflix you can get rid of all of that." But PCTech714 responded, "I can't believe that in this day and age no one has heard of a DVR. If I want to skip commercials, I push the skip button on my remote and it fast forwards 30 seconds at a time. Usually after a few presses I'm back to the program. As far as cliffhangers go: that's the whole point. Sometimes the "NOW NOW NOW" mentality of this world disturbs me ... "

Do you feel your views align with these commenters' thoughts? Post a comment below or sound off on video

new jersey lottery

1. top_cheese

May 18, 2011 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Timetraveler

"when the lord returns"? I thought "the lord" is supposed to be always with us everywhere. When the hell did he leave?! And where did he go? On vacation to Tahiti? I've been good all this time for nothing? What the crap?!

May 18, 2011 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • steve talley of santa barbara

The whole premise of knowing the exact date when the Lord returns is quite flawed, seeing as though the Bible makes it very clear that only God knows the exact date and time! However, the Bible also makes it clear that when the Lord comes, he will come like "a thief in the night", that is, that is, his arrival will not be expected! So examine yourself today. Are you ready for when Jesus returns? As Jesus said in John 14:6, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the father except through me".steve talley of santa barbara

May 18, 2011 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gahd

Right, so Jesus is more important than God? Can't God decide for himself? A thief in the night, suggests that Jesus is a criminal who breaks into people's homes. Well now we know why he didn't want the adulterous woman stoned... he was the backdoor Sancho.

May 18, 2011 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wolfmother

Let me tell you all the story bout the joker and the thief in the night..... Pretty much sums it up.

May 18, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  2. joe

this is funny , I never thought how many ignorant religious people were in this country , my God this is pathetic

May 18, 2011 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Thomas Hanson

AFLAC!!!

May 18, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  4. sas

i think that it will not end there just to scare us so they can tell people to change regions

May 18, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  5. charles

only one who knows when the end will happen is the lord.

May 18, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  6. sandyk

The week started off good Donald Trump hung it up for our side....Then Newt, OMgosh!....and to end the week this mess!! being a christian conservatives hasnt been easy this week so far! Non Christians please know we are all not like this and we continue to live our lives believing in a God who loves us, while sometimes struggling with living a life pleasing to Him.

May 18, 2011 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Sandyk – I grew up Christian, now am Jewish of a liberal pursuasion. Don't worry, most of us who look at Christianity from the outside realize that the Rapture people are not typical, and that most Christians are good-hearted and sincere. All religions have their nut cases. We have ours. Every religion and political or social cause comes with some intellectual and emotional baggage.

May 18, 2011 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wolfmother

Trump isn't a conservative. He was merely playing the game how it's played for Presidential hopefulls. Obama pandered to the far left in the same manner.

May 18, 2011 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  7. LATerry

Unfortunately, end-of-Worlders have always been around. Generally they spew their threats so that we listen to them, join their cause, religion or cult, or give them money. Don't fall for it.

I found a great way to deal with them: ask them to donate the deed to their home, their car and all other worldly possessions to a charity of their choice, or preferably to me. Until they are serious enough to do so, I won't give them the time of day.

May 18, 2011 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  8. joe

If the judgement were coming most of he people would be judge , this world is full of people with hate, racism, greed, division, religion, and most of that people is the religious one

May 18, 2011 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • flippin

Not to mention the monsters who r@pe and murder even innocent children. They'd be the 1st to get theirs I would hope.

May 19, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Easy Reader

Oh goody! I missed the end of the world the last 12 times… glad they planned a rerun.

May 18, 2011 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  10. joe

IT IS TIME TO HAVE A BIG PARTY BEFORE THE WORLD ENDS YEA!!!!!!!! IT IS GOOD IS WEEKEND, I WILL HAVE TIME TO REST SUNDAY !!!!!! LOL

May 18, 2011 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Alene

A friend just called me and said he has to work this weekend, because the guy who was supposed to work wanted be home with his family for the end of the world. I laughed so hard it hurt! When the world doesn't end on Saturday, some one should really have Harold Camping committed!

May 18, 2011 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • flippin

And your friend should call that guy on Sunday morning and tell him to get his butt to work!

May 19, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  12. joe

IT IS GOOD THAT IS GOING TO HAPEN ON A WEEKEND YEA!!!!!!!

May 18, 2011 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  13. foghamar

Really? I will have to consult my calendar and fit it in between my daughter's birthday and my youngest granddaughter's state gymnastics tournament. Or perhaps I could be "Left Behind" until the next phase?

May 18, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • flippin

What is it with these types believing animals are not worth didly in God's eyes. Did you see that movie Left Behind? All the little dogs with leashes no one was holding because they disappeared, leaving poor pooch to fend for himself. How awful. Don't expect people to stop abusing animals if you teach them animals are worthless and don't matter to the Big Guy. Children should be taught better than that.

May 19, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Tom

I'm taking no chances with the possibility that they are right----- going out and maxing my credit cards on Friday.

May 18, 2011 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • flippin

I'd atleast wait until they start reporting quakes and chaos on Saturday in other countries. You'll still have a few hours to enjoy it.

May 19, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  15. jason l

i only have one question to ask... what are these people, who know for a fact the world is going to end, going to do when they are wrong. even if it was going to end then, the bible says only one knows when it will happen, and if that is true, the date just moved when they made a national issue out of it. just saying...

May 18, 2011 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |