Overheard on CNN.com: Scoff and concern for end-of-the-worlders
May 18th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Scoff and concern for end-of-the-worlders

Comment of the day:

"It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine." – Lolita

Tick tock goes the doomsday clock

The beginning of the end of the world, in some people's minds, is near - like this Saturday. According to loyal listeners of Family Radio, founded by Harold Camping and based in Oakland, California, Saturday will usher in the beginning of Judgment Day. They believe a massive worldwide earthquake will strike, leading to five months of death and destruction culminating on October 21, when the Earth will no longer exist.

Some CNN.com readers expressed strong skepticism about the "end of days" prediction, and some felt empathy for the people who have given up their possessions, jobs and family to spread the message.

Acts 2:38 said, "The rapture will NOT take place on May 21st. I feel so bad for the poor people who have bought into Mr. Campings lies." Claymation said, "This Camping fellow knows exactly what he's doing. He's done it all before. The fact is that he's feeding off these people, whether it be for money or fame, he's getting what he wants. May 21st will come and go and he'll say something like, 'Oops, I guess I miss calculated' and change the date." Walt said, "I hope Mr. Campings gets sued by all these people that have been following him. What are these poor people going to do on Monday when they realize they have no jobs, no belongings and probably no money?" Martha said, "I really, really feel sorry for the children of these people who have to spend these next few days terrified of the world ending Saturday evening, and the supposed mechanics of that, and then the issue of how will they will adjust to their reality for years to come."

Other readers found the idea amusing and responded in kind:

Donnie said, "Wow. This is actually good news for me. I've got a bunch of drywall and painting work to finish at the house this weekend, so this will really take a lot off my plate. Thanks God for freeing up my weekends ... FOR ETERNITY!" J said, "If we're supposed to be 'sorted' on the 21st, I hope I’m on Gryffindor!" NB said, "Thank God I'm playing golf on Friday. Maybe I can go out with a round of glory!" D said, "Darn. My End of the World Party doesn't start until 6:30 on Saturday." Jason Goodrich said, "End of The World Parties are always the best. Usually it's on a hurricane day. I hope the weather is good Saturday night." JohnnerMan said, "I'm glad that God acknowledges our (man-made) International Date Line. I wonder if heaven observes daylight savings time?" curleyg said, "I need to know what time Sat. Do I bet the Preakness or not?" Outawork said, "Oh boy!!! Now I don't have to worry about finding a job, but with my luck I'll win the lottery this Saturday." The Jackdaw said, "If this turns out to be true and I don't go to Heaven, I will earn my place in Hell before October." PCollen said, "Have a good flight. BTW, can all you soon to be departers leave me your bank account ID and passwords?" KMAN said, "People! You've got it all wrong! Everybody knows that the world won't end until that fateful day when the Chicago Cubs are one out away from winning the World Series."

Some Christian CNN.com readers who didn't subscribe to the prediction defended their religion:

gmn835 said, "Matthew 24:36 No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. (NIV)" Iago said, "If we Christians everywhere would stop trying to figure out God's plan and concentrate more on being the hands and feet of Jesus by reaching those who are lost, you'll touch more people as opposed to sending out RVs with 'Repent Now ... ' pamphlets and billboards." While Isaac quoted Robert G. Ingersoll –"The inspiration of the bible depends on the ignorance of the person who reads it" - Bob said, "Don't lump all Christian's together. 99% don't think this way." LindaMae said, "No one can be sure when the world will end - we just have to be ready always - start by forgiving yourself and then others. Be at peace with yourself so you won't have to worry when the time comes."

U.S. sanctions target Syrian president, Iranian commanders

President Obama has imposed sanctions against six senior Syrian officials and two Iranian Quds Force commanders in an effort to stop the regime's fierce crackdown on protesters. The effort comes after more than two months of unrest in Syria and reports of hundreds of deaths and thousands of arrests.

CNN.com readers had mixed reactions to the president's action:

Neutronium said, "Sanctions. Let the escalation begin." sammoor said, "Great work President Obama. This regime deserves a shakeup." randypeel said, "Assad Jr. of Syria is worse than Gadhafi of Libya , Mubarak of Egypt , and Ben Ali of Tunisia." Tsimbi7 said, "Sanctions. Never HAVE worked. Never will." RealHist4Me said, "Where are the sanctions for Yemen and Bahrain?" sam9999999 said, "Oh no, sanctions! Not sanctions! Somehow, some way, this will cost us billions."

Goss68 said, "Why aren't we bombing targets in Syria and trying to take out Assad? The situation is much worse than it was in Libya. Assad's regime has killed more than 2000 people since the pro freedom activities started five weeks ago in Syria. That's more casualties than all the other pro-freedom events in Tunisia, Egypt and Lybia combined. Thirty years ago, his father killed over 40 thousand innocent children, women and elderly in the town of Hamma. Jr. will do the same, or worse if not constrained. President Obama, it is time for you to tell Assad to leave power."

justaword said, "Sanctions against another country? Give me a break. It would be nice if Obama focused on real problems facing the US. How about sanctions against our own Congress to get back to work and stop playing politics with our future otherwise the street riots similar to the Middle East are going to begin here in America."

Kevin442 said, "I say that sanctions, done right, are a good, nonviolent way to put pressure on the leaders of Syria. However, I caution that we keep an eye on how it will affect the price of food in Syria. At times, people might bite the hand that feeds them. But they will for a fact rip out the throats of those who starve them. We do not want to be that person."

The game changer: Netflix

Thanks, in part, to the popularity of Netflix, perhaps for the first time in the Internet's history, the largest percentage of its traffic is content that is paid for. Netflix streaming movies now fill more of the U.S.'s Internet tubes than any other service, and streaming real-time entertainment is also on the rise.

Many CNN.com readers posted comments about how Netflix has changed the way they view at-home entertainment.

cobaltblue said, "See what happens when you charge a reasonable price for services? I love my Netflix streaming. Netflix has always been an excellent service and the very few service issues I've experienced have been remedied right away." NSIndiana said, "Netflix unlimited streaming movies/ TV shows = $10/month + Unlimited high speed internet through ATT = $20/month for a total of $30/month. Cable and internet through most providers = $120+ a month. Now I wonder why this is shocking." ExtremePhobi said, "I think the takeaway here is that if you make it affordable, people won't pirate."

toofly said, "I'd be distraught without my Netflix. I like TV shows but there’s nothing worse than watching 20 minutes of commercials in a 60 minute episode just to be left with a cliffhanger you need to wait a week for to see the end. With Netflix you can get rid of all of that." But PCTech714 responded, "I can't believe that in this day and age no one has heard of a DVR. If I want to skip commercials, I push the skip button on my remote and it fast forwards 30 seconds at a time. Usually after a few presses I'm back to the program. As far as cliffhangers go: that's the whole point. Sometimes the "NOW NOW NOW" mentality of this world disturbs me ... "

Do you feel your views align with these commenters' thoughts? Post a comment below or sound off on video

new jersey lottery

1. Al

The World's ending, and these fools are passing out flyers like it's a Rave party.

May 18, 2011 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guest

It's 3 days until the end of the world, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses. Hit it.

May 18, 2011 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  2. LOL!

Christians are so silly.

May 18, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lyndsie Graham

Christianity was and is a great religion. It's too bad that a bunch of right-wing fanatics had to contaminte it with their corrupt with right-wing shoot'em up ideology and hate. There no place for that kind of thiking in true Christianity

May 18, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Marcus

Freaking awesome!!! I hope so.... between my wife and I we have 0ver $100,000 in over school loans and both are underemployed... OI!!! SCREW YOU BANKS!!!!

I have enough beer and weed in my underwear draw to enjoy it...

May 18, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marcus

Freaking awesome!!! I hope so.... between my wife and I we have over $100,000 in school loans and both are underemployed... Oi!! SCREW YOU BANKS!!!!

I have enough beer and weed in my underwear draw to enjoy it...

(reads better)

May 18, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Peter

LOL hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Silly christian myths are for kids!

May 18, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hogs4Life

you mad

May 18, 2011 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Van

And you don't think you sound like a kid saying that? :I

May 18, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  5. massguy23

Ugh – this isn't even worth the time, but the funniest part of this: go to the family radio dot com website. The page screams "03 days left" (till the end of the world). At the bottom of the page is a link for "donations, secured by verisign." REALLY? If you want to be taken seriously in this information age where it's easiest to check your webpage, can you at least get rid of the "donations" link?

May 18, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marcus

I think if I knew there were only 3 days left of earth I would be trying every drug that society has told me not to do and spending all of my money on fast cars and girls – NOT holding signs and wasting my money on advertising... just throwing that out there...

May 18, 2011 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Cricket

@George Patton:

John had a nightmare. John wrote a book about it. Harold Camping read it. Harold Camping made predictions, much like John did in his book. Harold Camping is wrong. John had a bad, bad nightmare.
    The End.

May 18, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • George Patton

Gee Cricket,you sound like another atheistic Tea Partier. I guess that's the way this country's going nowdays.

May 18, 2011 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Lyndsie Graham

Judging by all this scoffing I see here,it appears that Atheism along with the Tea Party Movement is rapidly gaining ground in this country. This too,was written in the Bible by St.Paul in the second Book of Timothy. Then there is this right-wing mob mentality as with the announcement of the brutal murder of the purported Usama bin Laden the mob took to the streets with pure,unadulterated joy!

May 18, 2011 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jesus Christ

I will not be coming to earth on saturday. Because I have a bachelor party to attend with St. Patrick. Gonna get hammered on some jagerbombs and dirty martinis and get some digits from the ladies.... I apologize that some noob down there is making up all of these lies. What a buzz kill.

May 18, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Cricket

@George Patton:
    And you would be wrong.
    But then you frequently are.
    I am not an atheist.
    I am not a Tea Partier.
    Now are you going to steal my name and start ranting about how nauseating the right-wing thugs in Washington are?

May 18, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • George Patton

No Cricket,I won't and I don't do that kind of thing although people do that to me most of the time. Everyone has a right to their opinion. Usurping other peoples' names to express themselves shouldn't be going on here.

May 18, 2011 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  10. SamuraiCowboy

When the rich are all raptured here in St. Louis, there will be a fair amount of looting. I expect that my wife and I will be living in relative comfort for the rest of our lives.

May 18, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Cricket

@Jeff S:

Happy Birthday!

May 18, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jeff Frank - (R-Ohio)

If your convictions are such that you love Go- and the Son. If your convictions are such, you follow go-s' commandments, and spread His word as His good stewards of the Word of Go-. I know I'm ready for what ever happens. I know I'm ready to only be with the ones I love, at a time of need, and not "parading around" telling everyone about it, with a fancy poster board around my neck. Do not forget the bible "also warns us about false gods and idol worship". Maybe the end of the world is more about the people that think it's right in their own mind. Love Jeff 😉

May 18, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Guest

Only God knows. Be prepared if it does.

May 18, 2011 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • McJesus

How do you know what God(tm) knows without knowing what God(tm) knows!. OH... GOD ! GOD! ITS YOU! PRAISE! PRAISE! PLEASE DONT LET ME BURN IN HELL!!! I AM AFRAID OF YOU LIKE YOU WANT ME TO BE! So do I pass the test?

May 19, 2011 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
  14. Cricket

How much do you want to bet that George Patton replies to Lindsie with "good post, Lindsie. Thank you."? One of his non de plume's always does.

May 18, 2011 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  15. sandyk

@ Jim ~ thank you! @wolfmother I know he isnt a conservative but it seems that some thought he was! it is scary because it seems that if you dress nicely and speak well people fall for that like Homer Simpson and doughnuts ~ picture drool running out of their mouth ~ i like him he talks good lol. all the while the canidates are following the next important talking point.

May 18, 2011 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |