Overheard on CNN.com: Scoff and concern for end-of-the-worlders
May 18th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Scoff and concern for end-of-the-worlders

Comment of the day:

"It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine." – Lolita

Tick tock goes the doomsday clock

The beginning of the end of the world, in some people's minds, is near - like this Saturday. According to loyal listeners of Family Radio, founded by Harold Camping and based in Oakland, California, Saturday will usher in the beginning of Judgment Day. They believe a massive worldwide earthquake will strike, leading to five months of death and destruction culminating on October 21, when the Earth will no longer exist.

Some CNN.com readers expressed strong skepticism about the "end of days" prediction, and some felt empathy for the people who have given up their possessions, jobs and family to spread the message.

Acts 2:38 said, "The rapture will NOT take place on May 21st. I feel so bad for the poor people who have bought into Mr. Campings lies." Claymation said, "This Camping fellow knows exactly what he's doing. He's done it all before. The fact is that he's feeding off these people, whether it be for money or fame, he's getting what he wants. May 21st will come and go and he'll say something like, 'Oops, I guess I miss calculated' and change the date." Walt said, "I hope Mr. Campings gets sued by all these people that have been following him. What are these poor people going to do on Monday when they realize they have no jobs, no belongings and probably no money?" Martha said, "I really, really feel sorry for the children of these people who have to spend these next few days terrified of the world ending Saturday evening, and the supposed mechanics of that, and then the issue of how will they will adjust to their reality for years to come."

Other readers found the idea amusing and responded in kind:

Donnie said, "Wow. This is actually good news for me. I've got a bunch of drywall and painting work to finish at the house this weekend, so this will really take a lot off my plate. Thanks God for freeing up my weekends ... FOR ETERNITY!" J said, "If we're supposed to be 'sorted' on the 21st, I hope I’m on Gryffindor!" NB said, "Thank God I'm playing golf on Friday. Maybe I can go out with a round of glory!" D said, "Darn. My End of the World Party doesn't start until 6:30 on Saturday." Jason Goodrich said, "End of The World Parties are always the best. Usually it's on a hurricane day. I hope the weather is good Saturday night." JohnnerMan said, "I'm glad that God acknowledges our (man-made) International Date Line. I wonder if heaven observes daylight savings time?" curleyg said, "I need to know what time Sat. Do I bet the Preakness or not?" Outawork said, "Oh boy!!! Now I don't have to worry about finding a job, but with my luck I'll win the lottery this Saturday." The Jackdaw said, "If this turns out to be true and I don't go to Heaven, I will earn my place in Hell before October." PCollen said, "Have a good flight. BTW, can all you soon to be departers leave me your bank account ID and passwords?" KMAN said, "People! You've got it all wrong! Everybody knows that the world won't end until that fateful day when the Chicago Cubs are one out away from winning the World Series."

Some Christian CNN.com readers who didn't subscribe to the prediction defended their religion:

gmn835 said, "Matthew 24:36 No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. (NIV)" Iago said, "If we Christians everywhere would stop trying to figure out God's plan and concentrate more on being the hands and feet of Jesus by reaching those who are lost, you'll touch more people as opposed to sending out RVs with 'Repent Now ... ' pamphlets and billboards." While Isaac quoted Robert G. Ingersoll –"The inspiration of the bible depends on the ignorance of the person who reads it" - Bob said, "Don't lump all Christian's together. 99% don't think this way." LindaMae said, "No one can be sure when the world will end - we just have to be ready always - start by forgiving yourself and then others. Be at peace with yourself so you won't have to worry when the time comes."

U.S. sanctions target Syrian president, Iranian commanders

President Obama has imposed sanctions against six senior Syrian officials and two Iranian Quds Force commanders in an effort to stop the regime's fierce crackdown on protesters. The effort comes after more than two months of unrest in Syria and reports of hundreds of deaths and thousands of arrests.

CNN.com readers had mixed reactions to the president's action:

Neutronium said, "Sanctions. Let the escalation begin." sammoor said, "Great work President Obama. This regime deserves a shakeup." randypeel said, "Assad Jr. of Syria is worse than Gadhafi of Libya , Mubarak of Egypt , and Ben Ali of Tunisia." Tsimbi7 said, "Sanctions. Never HAVE worked. Never will." RealHist4Me said, "Where are the sanctions for Yemen and Bahrain?" sam9999999 said, "Oh no, sanctions! Not sanctions! Somehow, some way, this will cost us billions."

Goss68 said, "Why aren't we bombing targets in Syria and trying to take out Assad? The situation is much worse than it was in Libya. Assad's regime has killed more than 2000 people since the pro freedom activities started five weeks ago in Syria. That's more casualties than all the other pro-freedom events in Tunisia, Egypt and Lybia combined. Thirty years ago, his father killed over 40 thousand innocent children, women and elderly in the town of Hamma. Jr. will do the same, or worse if not constrained. President Obama, it is time for you to tell Assad to leave power."

justaword said, "Sanctions against another country? Give me a break. It would be nice if Obama focused on real problems facing the US. How about sanctions against our own Congress to get back to work and stop playing politics with our future otherwise the street riots similar to the Middle East are going to begin here in America."

Kevin442 said, "I say that sanctions, done right, are a good, nonviolent way to put pressure on the leaders of Syria. However, I caution that we keep an eye on how it will affect the price of food in Syria. At times, people might bite the hand that feeds them. But they will for a fact rip out the throats of those who starve them. We do not want to be that person."

The game changer: Netflix

Thanks, in part, to the popularity of Netflix, perhaps for the first time in the Internet's history, the largest percentage of its traffic is content that is paid for. Netflix streaming movies now fill more of the U.S.'s Internet tubes than any other service, and streaming real-time entertainment is also on the rise.

Many CNN.com readers posted comments about how Netflix has changed the way they view at-home entertainment.

cobaltblue said, "See what happens when you charge a reasonable price for services? I love my Netflix streaming. Netflix has always been an excellent service and the very few service issues I've experienced have been remedied right away." NSIndiana said, "Netflix unlimited streaming movies/ TV shows = $10/month + Unlimited high speed internet through ATT = $20/month for a total of $30/month. Cable and internet through most providers = $120+ a month. Now I wonder why this is shocking." ExtremePhobi said, "I think the takeaway here is that if you make it affordable, people won't pirate."

toofly said, "I'd be distraught without my Netflix. I like TV shows but there’s nothing worse than watching 20 minutes of commercials in a 60 minute episode just to be left with a cliffhanger you need to wait a week for to see the end. With Netflix you can get rid of all of that." But PCTech714 responded, "I can't believe that in this day and age no one has heard of a DVR. If I want to skip commercials, I push the skip button on my remote and it fast forwards 30 seconds at a time. Usually after a few presses I'm back to the program. As far as cliffhangers go: that's the whole point. Sometimes the "NOW NOW NOW" mentality of this world disturbs me ... "

Do you feel your views align with these commenters' thoughts? Post a comment below or sound off on video

new jersey lottery

1. Checkmate

@Cricket:Points for giving out a faux address.
    @Hogs4Life:Concerning your name, are you talking about your family, or your Harley? I'm reaaaaalllly hoping your Harley.

May 18, 2011 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • OneFlewOverTheCuckoo'sNest

"It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine" Lolita? I always thought it was Michael Stipe from R.E.M. The things you learn 3 days before you die! Can anyone loan me money for 3 days, Don't worry, you will not need it Sunday.

May 18, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. DH

The world isn't ending, because Im not lucky enough.

May 18, 2011 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Cricket

Stick around, Hog, I'm sure you'll read it another thousand times. And it will still amuse us.

May 18, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  4. whereismyboots

So, does this mean, that I can stop writing my PhB's final paper, or what?

May 18, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Bring It

I haven't paid my bills this month so if this is ture I did good if it isn't can I sue?

May 18, 2011 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • OneFlewOverTheCuckoo'sNest

First you need to learn to spell... ture?? Really??

May 18, 2011 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Bill

DELUSIONAL FREAKS, 'nuff said.

May 18, 2011 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Cricket

@Bring It:

Sue Harold Camping? Sure. Go for it!

He'll just defer paying you until the day after the next date he predicts.

May 18, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Ashley

You are NOT a Christian if you Believe in May 21, 2011 ! Point blank period......

May 18, 2011 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

@Ashley: so what do christians think comes between may 20th and may 22nd? Some kind of magical mystery day?

May 18, 2011 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  9. charles bowen

And God is looking for 144000 good souls . What do you think your chances are? These odds are like as bad as the lottery. I personally thunk i will opt out , sit on the sidelines with some righteous Pot and a couple of buds a little pot of ckicken wings and watch the games begin. Good Luck to all you short timers out there have a great rupture i mean rapture, but make sure your ready for work come monday morning. Gotta love those Christians any excuse for a party Charles Bowen Solomon Stoned

May 18, 2011 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Cricket

@leeintulsa:

Nope, May 21st comes in-between.

May 18, 2011 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  11. steve

...And there's another reason: PUBLICITY. Look at their website: familyradio.com. Look in the lower right hand corner. 'DONATIONS' – Why the hell are they asking for donations when they claim the world ends on Saturday? You know, some naive people are going to believe this crap which could result in serious repercussions. Did the perpetrators of this hoax ever stop to think of the lawsuits that could result in causing a false panic?

May 18, 2011 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Tony Dolan

It's time to thin the herd, way too many morons believing in non-sensical bull... There's no god, and do you really believe the universe gives a rat's buttocks about the petty agenda of this little planet?

May 18, 2011 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • OneFlewOverTheCuckoo'sNest

I hope they get mad enough when this does not happen that they all off themselves. They are going to be so mad when nothing happens. I would love to have a camera on one of them at 6p.

May 18, 2011 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Sandbur

They say it will all end at 6 p.m. on Saturday, May 21.
    But what time zone will that be?
    Don't want to miss CNN's coverage.

May 18, 2011 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jazzzzzzzz

lololol, ok THIS is the BEST post of the day HANDS DOWN .

May 18, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • steve

It starts at the International Date Line at 6:00 p.m.. New Zealand and Australia will get it first, and then work westward. So everybody will get hit at 6:00 pm in THEIR timezone. CNN has already started putting up cameras in each timezone so they can report it as it happens. I'll be glued to the TV all day. Of course, until 6:00 CST. I guess after that I'll be in heaven.

May 18, 2011 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • DrManic

CNN will find a way to make it a race related story.

May 18, 2011 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  14. charles bowen

Let me tell you about my last rapture. It was 1970 September i was on board the USS John F. Kennedy CVA-67 off the Virginia Capes For Carrier Quals when the ship was ordered to proceed to Arman Jordan to evacuate American Personel from The affore mentioned country as the Black September Rebellion Had Begun. This was one of those US Navy secret Missions you cant tell anyone cause you'd have to kill them . My wife at the time was From Christchurch New Zealand living in New Jersey a strange land with stranger people, oh and did I mention that I was to be Honorably discharged in 15 days . So i went to personell and asked how this would affect my pending discharge. The Second Class ask me if i was a strong swimmer? I asked why he wanted to know how far i could Swim. He said Sailor the only way your getting off this ship is after your replacement arives in about 3 months or when you swim to shore enjoy the cruise. Needless to say the wife was not pleased, and even less pleased when i didnt show up home on my Seperation Date, but the experience was memorable. Finally flew of the Kennedy on a mail plane a Stuf off of Cat 2, and landed in Crete 2 months after the US Navy Raptured me. to the Med. I'll Sit this Rapture out please. And if i should happen to make the cut and be one of the 144000, Its been nice knowing ya! Charles Bowen Solomon Stone

May 18, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  15. RV1982

How exactly do you "prepare" for the end of the world? Seems to me Christians should live every day or hour as if it were the "last" day or hour...so whats to "prepare" for?

May 18, 2011 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ori

That is very true. God will never prove a false prophet right, so it cant be May 21st. Harold Camping will have lots of explaining to do on Monday for the people who quit their jobs, and gave away their quality possessions.

May 18, 2011 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |