First-time jobless benefit claims decline again
May 19th, 2011

First-time jobless benefit claims decline again

The number of Americans filing for their first week of unemployment benefits dropped sharply for the second straight week.

In the week ended May 14, 409,000 Americans filed for their first week of unemployment benefits, the Labor Department said Thursday.

FULL CNNMONEY.COM STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Economy • Jobs
  1. Joey

Tell us more details.
    The suggested assumption that the economy is improving (under Obama's guidance) because fewer persons actually eligible for unemployment benefits, and not already on other government programs, lost their jobs is not supported by data available for this discussion.
    How many workers have exhausted their unemployment insurance, cannot find jobs, and now live in poverty?

May 19, 2011 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  2. Joey

I know that such data might be available, and might be accurate, elsewhere.
    My point was that this article did not provide support for its implication, and therefore has the appearance of being propaganda for Obama (whom I do support).

May 19, 2011 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  3. tired

It says workers "filing for their FIRST week". the devil is in the details.

May 19, 2011 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  4. shut up joey

Stop being an idiot and get a job

May 19, 2011 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  5. im2cute

Exactly

May 19, 2011 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  6. Joey

Do not base you comments on invalid premises.

May 19, 2011 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  7. Joey

@ tired:
    It is currently 62 degrees F. in NYC, so there must be no climate change.
    Apply your best analytical and reconstructive reasoning to that, and then to my statements and to yours.

May 19, 2011 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  8. Joey

@ shut up joey:
    I do not have a "job," as you think of it, but I do have a very vital career that not only allows, but also requires that I arrange my own work periods and relaxation. I am paid through my corporation.
    You get a job.

May 19, 2011 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  9. Scottish Mama

@Joey-I guess I have this idea that the banks defaulting had something to do with unemployment. Since at least 2004 the job market has been declining. I know this to be fact because Iquit a job in Jan of 2004. every month I would look at the statistics on my state and the 8 around us. Every state was having the same problem. At this time a woman in real estate told me we were in a housing bubble and it would burst, she told me in 2004. If the banks are the problem I still beleive we are not at fault as a nation. How could the banks be held accountable without them coming back and charging the people with the debt they caused. Could Giethner? make the banks in a legal way pay the people back since Bush and company made it possibble to leave the bill to the taxpayers? I do not mind paying my fair share, but the the banks need to pay for their indescressions. What is the take away with you, is their any legal recourse for the taxpayers against the government and/or banks?

May 19, 2011 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  10. Joey

@ im2cute:
    Exactly enough.

May 19, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  11. Joey

@ Scottish Mama,
    I knew many who lost a lot to the banks. Most had bought soapy-water houses that they couldn't pay off. I remember looking at co-op apartments in NYC and saying to myself, "there's no way that this little apartment is worth THAT." I'm sorry if you got hit.
    I didn't have anything mortgaged. I'm a musician, not a lawyer.
    I enjoy your posts.

May 19, 2011 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  12. jj

great news i feel so much better now.

May 19, 2011 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  13. Joey

@ Scottish Mama:
    Yes–around 2004 was when I wanted to move and looked at lots of Manhattan apartments.
    I knew aggressive people who were buying those places and turning them over fast.
    (Leverage works both ways!)

May 19, 2011 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  14. Joey

Now, I have to go work.

May 19, 2011 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  15. Scottish Mama

I did not loose anything. I guess I want the banks to pull their heads out and take responsibility or the government to get down to blame the responsible party and not saddle us with the bill.

May 19, 2011 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |