Baseball's Gary Carter says tumors found on his brain
Hall of Famer Gary Carter speaks at the 2005 Baseball Hall of Fame induction ceremony in Cooperstown, New York.
May 21st, 2011

Baseball's Gary Carter says tumors found on his brain

Former all-star Major League Baseball catcher Gary Carter said Saturday that doctors discovered several “very small” tumors on his brain.

Carter, 57, said he is scheduled for further testing Thursday at Duke Medical Center in Durham, North Carolina.

In a statement released on the New York Mets website, Carter said the discovery came from an MRI.

"Earlier today, I learned that four very small tumors have been found on my brain, following an MRI on Friday at a West Palm Beach facility," Carter said. "I am scheduled to be examined further Thursday at Duke Medical Center, and we will learn more at that time about my diagnosis.

"My wife, Sandy, and our children and family thank you for your thoughts and prayers. We ask that you please respect our privacy as we learn more about my medical condition," he said in the statement.

There's no word on whether the tumors are malignant or benign.

Carter, known as "The Kid" throughout his career, was a three-time Golden Glove winner, a five-time Silver Slugger award recipient and was inducted into baseball’s Hall of Fame in 2003. At the induction ceremony, he said, "It's nice to know that even though my body feels like an old man now, I will always be a kid at heart."

Mets Chief Operating Officer Jeff Wilpon released a statement about Carter as well. "On behalf of the Mets organization, our thoughts and prayers are with Gary, Sandy and the entire Carter family," it said.

Carter retired in 1992 after 19 seasons with the Montreal Expos; the New York Mets, where he won a pennant; the San Francisco Giants; and the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Post by:
Filed under: Baseball • Sports
  1. ErmaGoon

I hope the best for you, Mr. Carter. I remember you from those baseball instructional shows for kids. Ozzie Smith was on them with the San Diego Chicken too. Always loved seeing them as a kid. Thanks for making my life a bit better than it was back then.

May 22, 2011 at 2:15 am | Report abuse |
    • SteroidsKarma

Apparently, using steroids to "compete" makes you a loser.

May 22, 2011 at 7:43 am | Report abuse |
  2. Dave

I wish Carter well but if he wants privacy then why come out with a press statement?

May 22, 2011 at 3:11 am | Report abuse |
    • undead

sorry to ditto you there Dave, but your comment wasn't showing when I posted. Great minds think alike I guess.

May 22, 2011 at 3:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Dave

I didn't want to say it, but I'm glad you did...those were my exact thoughts. If you don't want publicity, have the procedure quietly and privately and same for any operations. That said, I have good memories of his playing days and hope he recovers.

May 22, 2011 at 7:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Jo

That was my first thought.

May 22, 2011 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  3. undead

What a bummer, I'll never forget the 'Dream Team'. What I don't understand is the need to release press statements requesting to respect privacy. If you want something to remain private why tell anyone at all?

May 22, 2011 at 3:15 am | Report abuse |
  4. Maria

To all the loud-mouthed morons who don't understand how the media works: the reason he's "announcing" it while simultaneously asking for privacy is because, as a public figure, he runs the risk of having it leaked by someone else. As a public figure, you make announcements like this in order to "own" your personal issues and preventing other people from calling up TMZ and blabbing about your personal matters to the entire world. All it takes to start a rumor is one person. At the same time, since they don't really think it's anyone's business, they ask that you give them a bit of respect for the privacy they were forced to give up after having to beat rumor-mongers to the punch.

Do you get it now?

May 22, 2011 at 3:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Dave

Get what dufus? Carter is a has-been. I haven't heard his name for years. This sounds like attempts to grab attention and garner sympathy more than anything else. Gary Carter having cancer, whether the news is leaked or official, is not a breaking news story or front page news. It is a marginal item buried on page 12 of the newspaper. My question stands: if you want privacy don't tell anyone. God Bless.

May 22, 2011 at 7:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Jo

Peace maria.

May 22, 2011 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Canadian Genius

Right Dave. If I was diagnosed with brain tumors, attention grabbing would be first on my to-do list.

Some people just don't get it. I can't believe we're in the same species. Just think, will you.

May 23, 2011 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
  5. Ellis

Wow so many stupid people. Carter had a press conf to avoid a future conf cuz by a leak. Poor man, you negative butttts need to lay off the booze.

May 22, 2011 at 4:01 am | Report abuse |
  6. Ellis

Lay off the booze

May 22, 2011 at 6:57 am | Report abuse |
  7. Ellis

Pray away the gay.

May 22, 2011 at 7:04 am | Report abuse |
  8. Ellis

All bloggers report to the CNN orientation room in Atlanta, GA. You will receive your checks then. Job well done.

May 22, 2011 at 7:10 am | Report abuse |
  9. Ellis

Sorry Maria but some people don't understand your post or mine. Case in point, Dave thick skull,low IQ (65-70 maybe,could be lower),has low reading skill, poor cognitive skills,and may have ADD. Poor guy. Real dummy. Hey Dave,get a job dummy.

May 22, 2011 at 7:34 am | Report abuse |
  10. Ellis

Dave: Dahh I got cans to recycle. Uh they are empty so does that mean I get paid less? Dahhhh

May 22, 2011 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
  11. Ellis

Apparently NOT since I have not heard of any theories that support your insane remark, SteroidsKarma.

May 22, 2011 at 7:49 am | Report abuse |
  12. Michael R

Be happy to respect his privacy. Here is a thought...nobody would have even know if Gary kept his medical situation to himself in the first place. Why do people feel the need to make a public address about their health and then ask for privacy??

May 22, 2011 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Canadian Genius

To prevent the rumour mongers from setting the "facts".

May 23, 2011 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
  13. Ellis

I'm gay and so?

May 22, 2011 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  14. tim moore sr

be strong gary i was diagnosed with a brain tumer 3 years ago and i am recovered now i went through 2 surgerys to remove it i will say a prayer for you

May 22, 2011 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  15. hjs3

A lot of "stupid for breakfast" obviously served here this morning...

May 22, 2011 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |