Stars shine at Billboard Music Awards
Beyonce takes the stage Sunday night in Las Vegas at the Billboard Music Awards.
May 22nd, 2011

Stars shine at Billboard Music Awards

The Billboard Music Awards aired Sunday night on ABC with a bevy of top performances from music’s luminaries.

Rihanna. Taylor Swift. Lady Antebellum. Justin Bieber. All the big names won awards. But as it goes with awards shows, it was the performances that made the show.

Keith Urban turned in a spirited performance of "Long Hot Summer." Mary J Blige and Lil Wayne performed "Someone to Love." The Black Eyed Peas, Britney Spears and Nicki Minaj all took turns on the stage.

Beyonce, who took home the Billboard Millennium Award, rocked the place into a frenzy. The singer delighted fans with a fiery performance of her new single, “Who Run the World (Girls)" before receiving the award from her mother, Tina Knowles.

On Twitter Sunday night, the event’s goings-on were heavily and hilariously tweeted, with Lady Antebellum, Billboards, Black Eyed Peas and Fergie all being top Twitter topics.

In February the social networking site was posited by Twitter CEO Dick Costolo as a “second screen” alongside live TV shows, turning television broadcasts into interactive social networking affairs.

And Sunday night was no exception. The hilarious tweets were coming rapidly.

BobbyJamess tweeted, "That awkward moment when Tina Knowles is trending & Beyoncé isn't."

It was that kind of night.

Beyonce's performance Sunday capped an impressive week in which she debuted the long-form version of the lead single from her forthcoming album, "4," and released the cover art for the project.

“I first want to start off by thanking my foundation, my family," she said. "I like to thank my father for teaching me so much about the music industry ... I like to thank (former Destiny's Child members) Kelly and Michelle," she said.

Rihanna won top female artist, screaming “Rihanna Naveeeey," an endearing term for her legion of fans, into the mic in what passed for a short acceptance speech.

Post by:
Filed under: Eminem • Justin Bieber • Music • Twitter
  1. Joey

a celebration of mediocrity

May 23, 2011 at 2:53 am | Report abuse |
    • fiveteeonevee

you are absolutly 1000000% correct. Beyonce is about as mediocre as an artist can be, unless you factor in those hips and thighs, then's she's just a complete turn off..

May 23, 2011 at 7:30 am | Report abuse |
  2. ComeOnMan9

Glad you pointed out the obvious. I don't understand why us jiggaboos are so underrated but yet you crackas won't get your lips off our asses trying to suck up some style or coolness. Can't have it both ways.

May 23, 2011 at 5:45 am | Report abuse |
  3. Ellis

I want banana nut (s)

May 23, 2011 at 6:02 am | Report abuse |
  4. Nancy

I am so f%$^&ing sick of Beyonce.

May 23, 2011 at 6:08 am | Report abuse |
  5. Ellis

Thank you Nancy Dear, I'm so f%$+!ing sick of Beyonce too.

May 23, 2011 at 6:11 am | Report abuse |
  6. Willy Brown

Yawn. It all sounds the same.

May 23, 2011 at 7:31 am | Report abuse |
  7. Omar

Stop Hating on Beyonce, With Lady GaGa's Weird A$$, and Brittany's Crackhead Confused looking A$$!!

May 23, 2011 at 7:36 am | Report abuse |
    • jim

Stop using stupid phrases like "hating on"!

May 23, 2011 at 7:53 am | Report abuse |
    • omar

Get an understanding on what "Hating" means and maybe you'll stop doing it..

May 23, 2011 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  8. Juan

Britney lip sync was the best part....NOT! She's a disaster.

May 23, 2011 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
    • omar

a HOT mess!! lmbo Rotf!!!!!

May 23, 2011 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  9. Kim

No one I talked to actually watched this pointless show. We watched Oprah's Behind the Scenes, 60Ms or Heat vs Bulls. I'm tired of this mindless pop tart as well. As much as I respect the Furst Lady she didn't make people watch either but I'm glad she honored the "intellgent" ladies at Spellman so I forgive her for trying to shove gyrating Beyonce down our throats! hahahaha

May 23, 2011 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
  10. Really?

The music was weak. Beyonces performance was brutal. Mother ****er? Nice. The video going on behind her was decent. The Black Eyed peas gave themselves another black eye. What has happened to music lately. Lady Gag is only relevant because she's a marketing "Tool". That show was just a bunch of talentless people congratulating themselves for duping the masses.

May 23, 2011 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
  11. JanaeJJ

Beyonce's performance was GREAT!!! Her acceptance speech made me cry...she is AWESOME!!

May 23, 2011 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
  12. Dallas

i liked beyonce's performance, it was also nice to see taylor swift and justin bieber take home awards. a real nice show. 🙂

May 23, 2011 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
  13. OldDog

What no Mick Jagger to pull this show out?

May 23, 2011 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  14. K

I'm so happy I didn't watch this mess. Beyonce.....well...no comment. Meanwhile Law and Order CI was good last night, as was the new show Breakout Kings on A&E. So there was pretty good tv last night.

May 23, 2011 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  15. Kim

I do think it's sad all these has been artists and present artists are using reality shows to sell themselves. What happened to enjoying the unknown gems who can blow (Jhud, Adam Lambert etc.)? I thought I would never see the day when most of the Idols can out sing most of the Billboard females..OUCH! On The Voice it was nice to hear judges WHO CAN SING teach/critique the contestants but I'm waiting on Simon and plz tell your judges NO SELF PROMOTION! I want to enjoy the unknowns with talent and a dream!

May 23, 2011 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |