In Joplin, Missouri, 'telephone poles snapped like match sticks'
The storm snapped trees and telephone poles and flipped over cars.
May 23rd, 2011

In Joplin, Missouri, 'telephone poles snapped like match sticks'

Editor's note: CNN producer Eric Marrapodi was on the ground in Joplin, Missouri, when the weather took another nasty turn Monday morning. Here's what he's seeing and witnessing as the sun comes up, but the storms keep coming.

It smells like fresh-cut lumber in Joplin, Missouri. It's the telephone poles, snapped like matchsticks.

We are taking cover in our live truck after the heavens opened up. There's a leak in the roof, but it's mostly dry.

As lightning pops and thunder booms, you can see the locals flinch. It's likely too close for comfort after they lost 89 neighbors to a half-mile wide twister.

The beating rain will wash away some of the dirt kicked up, but it won't unbend the basketball backboard that went from vertical to horizontal during the tornado.

I still can't figure out how the wicker chair got under the car that's under the snapped telephone pole.

Post by:
Filed under: Joplin • Missouri • On the Ground • Tornadoes • Weather
  1. Trish

Hey guys, will you visit HelpFaye.ORG a friend of mine with 2 babies is fighting for her life..... Thank you.

May 23, 2011 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  2. Scott

We all need to pray for these people. Cesar, How would you feel if a tornado took out your family? Your an IDIOT!

May 23, 2011 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  3. BoehnerisGod

Before you come to FEMA with your hands out, WE'RE BROKE!

May 23, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  4. rochelle

I would leave to god, what happen after all it was him that has everyone in thought!

May 23, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Cesar

Yo. I aint be an idiot. I iz a smart dude. Even though I dropped out of schol in the 9th grade and mop floors at mcdonalds, I am not an idiot! I can do simple math and wright very well!

May 23, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  6. hey trish

Is this lady with the two babies related to this tragedy?

May 23, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • gingersrule1

No. Its some beatch with cancer asking for money. Too bad for her. There is no cure so what's the money for?

May 23, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Frank

People of the United States of America and President Obama.
    Mr.President,instead of being on your European Vacation Tour and spending MILLIONS of DOLLARS of TAXPAYER DOLLARS on your Travel expenses,you should be IN COUNTRY overseeing FEMA to make sure they are doing their job.I can not believe that with all the states in financial trouble,laying off Teachers,Police and Closing Fire Houses that the money you are spending on your vacation could not be diverted to saving those jobs.

May 23, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Frank

People of the United States of America.
    I for one have had enough of the Incompetence,Corruption,lack of vision that seems to be rampant in this country.This Tornado was an act of GOD that could not be prevented but someone needs to explain to me why we need to commit per President Obama what sounds like BILLIONS of American TAXPAYER DOLLARS to Middle East Countries like Egypt etc. for help to Jump start Democracy.This is insanity,the Arab world hates our guts and wants us all dead.They have been attacking the U.S. since the mid 1960s through aircraft hijacking and murdering American tourists etc..I have had it with all of the politicians from both parties BullSh...It is time to stop supporting the rest of the world and put all our resources into repairing the damage that has been done to the U.S. in all areas.

May 23, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Frank

Jest,
    I read nothing or heard nothing on the NEWS this AM about Obama attending a G-8 Summit.I think you are BSn me.

May 23, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • surely.u.jest

The summit is in France this week. I found the information rather easily.

May 23, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Susan

You must not be watching the right channels (like MOST of them). CNN reported on this yesterday and today.

May 23, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  10. kate

this story has given me a new pair of glasses. I conpletely agree with you, Frank, the U.S. needs to focus on what matters most at this moment in time. The american familiesin need of help and support!

May 23, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Name*Daniel

Sad day

May 23, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  12. nita

No.....its some woman who SAYS she has cancer that wants you to send her money because she is too lazy to work and she has already used up her food stamps for this month that I paid for and she spent her whole welfare check on cigarettes and weed. That's ok thought at least her rent is paid for by me and all of you and I'm sure we also pay her utilities.

May 23, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  13. tom

just yesterday, I was in line at the store behind a woman, on an EXPENCIVE cell phone, she couldn't speak english, and baught "junk food" with FOOD STAMPS. This is not asstance, it is a way of life.

May 23, 2011 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Mase

It's sad we send millions to help other countries but when it comes to helping our own people we are left to fend for ourselves, not saying that we should stop sending ad to other countries, but lets get our priorities strait.

May 23, 2011 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  15. shakingmyhead

Really? I live near Joplin and I am so ashamed that I have to share a country with the likes of some of you. This is total havoc and devastation. There are people dead including children. Where are your hearts? if this was you or your town then I would pity the person who would offer you a helping hand since you seem to have no sympathy for these people. Pull your head out of your ass and wake up because it could happen to anyone....and by the way...HelpFaye is for a little girl with cancer if I am not mistaken. If you don't care to donate to her then you don't have to but shame on you for ridiculing her or her family in their time of need....just like the people in Joplin. Screw you jerks!!

May 24, 2011 at 3:50 am | Report abuse |