Obama to visit tornado-ravaged Missouri
President Barack and first lady Michelle Obama board Air Force One in Ireland on Monday.
May 24th, 2011

Obama to visit tornado-ravaged Missouri

President Barack Obama said he'll be traveling to the tornado-damaged state of Missouri on Sunday.

A tornado that cut through the city of Joplin on Sunday tied for the single deadliest twister to ever hit American soil since the National Weather Service began keeping records 61 years ago. At least 116 people have died.

"We are going to do absolutely everything we can to make sure they recover," said Obama, in England on Tuesday to meet with Britain's royal family and huddle with top politicians.

Post by:
Filed under: Barack Obama • Joplin • Missouri • Tornadoes • Weather
  1. Cricket

I'm glad Mr. President is going to visit.
    His home state being Illinos, he is well versed in what tornados can do.

May 24, 2011 at 8:10 am | Report abuse |
  2. Enough Already

OMG-Trolls Go Away!! Seeing this every day on every post is nuts.
    Cesar-if there is a real one-change your name already and move on!
    The Loser Troll has now gotten rid of most people w/a decent opinion with his incessant need for attention-congratulations. But at least the regulars quit chatting! I'd rather see people being polite to one another than your psycho psyche regurgitated on these blogs.
    CNN-please moderate this blog or add a validation system allowing only 1 email/screenname per person. The report abuse button is not effective. Obviously.

May 24, 2011 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Dogwelder

How are you being abused? They are words on a screen and they aren't even directed at you. They aren't even 'vulgar' words. Grow up, you're being more immature than them.

May 24, 2011 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  3. Cesar

@Enough Already: I did change my name twice already. I changed it to Cesar r, then to Herbert. I was still trolled by Ellis and other bozos. I will NEVER change my name again. Sorry for all the filth, but trolls are adult adolescents. CNN: one name one e-mail address please; to weed out those that make a mockery out of your bloggs.

May 24, 2011 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  4. Joey

I just tried to post under a different screen name, explaining that I was changing to avoid being highjacked, and the polite, clean post was censored.

May 24, 2011 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  5. Joey

Hello, Cesar.
    I'd like it very much if CNN enforced a one-name, one-address policy.

May 24, 2011 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  6. Scottish Mama

I remember when greensburg Kansas was destroyed in 2007. I wonder if president Obama will help them not only rebuild but put forth an idea to build green. That city of old to become new with technology at its best and to give hope to people who are at a very low, to rebuild. This is the time I wish I were in charge of fema.

May 24, 2011 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  7. popeye

I have a herpes sore on my scrotum.

May 24, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  8. D Grant

I wonder just how many millionares and billionares and corporations are in Joplin helping out?

May 24, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  9. leeintulsa

Here it comes again. Already trackable 'debris ball's on the ground in oklahoma. Again, cro.. New funnel cloud in pawnee. Cross your fingers for us.

May 24, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  10. leeintulsa

'major, major super cell' they call it. Be in tulsa in half an hour.

May 24, 2011 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  11. JMforJoplin

I have many loved ones in Joplin and luckily they all are safe. One of them lost their house, but at least she is safe. I am leaving today to go down and help with the clean up. It is just awful. No one has seen a storm like this in such a long time. What I am so upset about, is why hasn't Obama come down right away. Our business with the Queen could have been put off for due to a natural disaster. When Katrina happened, Bush was bashed for "hating black people" because he didn't right away go and help. Sunday will be 1 week since the tornado hit. Those people down there need to see that their President of their country is there helping, not making a phone call. I'm sorry to vent, but it just really upsets me because this tornado really hit home for me.
    Everyone, continue to support and pray for those in Joplin.
    Thank you.

May 25, 2011 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  12. Javier

Thoughts and prayers to the families that have lost love ones in Joplin.

May 25, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  13. IwrotetheWhiteHouse

He must of listening to my request that he go to Joplin MO and see for himself. Listen everyone the President is a busy person. But he's still an American, and we can't let him forget that! Power and fame do a lot of things to a person. But he can't forget his Roots. What would his father or mother say if he didn't go, I think they would tear his hide! And if I were him I would take truck loads of supplies, food, blankets, tents, health care workers, equipment with me!!!

May 26, 2011 at 3:37 am | Report abuse |
  14. Observer1290

Obama shut down the weather forecasting satellites that could have warned of this disaster.
    Obama is either a liar or insane.

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsf2NvF2gxs&w=640&h=360]