On the Radar: Fleet Week; Obama address; severe weather forecast
The USS New York arrives in New York for its commissioning in 2009.
May 25th, 2011

On the Radar: Fleet Week; Obama address; severe weather forecast

Fleet Week: New York's City annual salute to the nation's military begins Wednesday. Thousands of military personnel will be in the Big Apple for the Fleet Week event, which was first held in 1984.

Highlighting this year's event will be a visit by the USS New York. The amphibious transport ship, which was constructed with 7 1/2 tons of steel salvaged from the wreckage of the World Trade Center destroyed in the September 2001 terrorist attacks, returns to New York City for the first time since being commissioned there on November 7, 2009.

The ship will be open for public visits during Fleet Week, which concludes June 1.

Obama address: President Barack Obama will address both houses of the British Parliament on Wednesday.

Ben Rhodes, the deputy national security advisor for strategic communications, told reporters on Tuesday that Obama would reaffirm that the U.S.-British alliance and NATO are "the cornerstone of global security and the extension of the democratic values that we share."

"The United States and the United Kingdom, along with our allies, are the ones who shoulder particular burdens for global security," Rhodes said. "We see that in Afghanistan. We see that in our efforts against al Qaeda. We see that of course today in Libya."

CNN television coverage begins at 10 a.m. ET. The president’s speech will be live-streamed on CNN.com and on the CNN Apps for iPhone, iPad and Android.  CNNPolitics.com will feature in-depth reporting on what to expect and The Political Ticker will incorporate live blogging during the speech.

On Twitter, follow CNN anchors for additional live commentary during the address: @wolfblitzercnn, @suzannemalveaux, @richardquest and @zainverjeecnn.

Extreme weather: The National Weather Service says Wednesday could bring more severe storms in parts of Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Missouri, Mississippi and Tennessee.

The weather pattern that brought Tuesday's tornado outbreak in the Plains is moving into those states Wednesday, forecasters said.

"Conditions will once again be favorable for the development of long-lived rotating thunderstorms that could produce strong, fast-moving tornadoes," the weather service said.

Post by: ,
Filed under: Barack Obama • Military • New York • Politics • September 11 • Terrorism • Tornadoes • U.S. Navy • United Kingdom • Weather
  1. bill

Hmm, I would've known that I hadn't been to 53 states. Wonder why, let me guess, because I'm smart enough to know there are only 50.

May 25, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Observer

Congratulations. You might be the only person in our country who believes that a Harvard graduate with honors thinks there are not 50 states. I wouldn't brag about that.

May 25, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Observer

"I've reminded the prime minister—the American people, Mr. Prime Minister, over the past months that it was not always a given that the United States and America would have a close relationship."

— George W. Bush,President, Washington, D.C., 06/29/06

May 25, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Observer

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

- George W. Bush, President 08/05/04

May 25, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  2. DM

Please stop. You know everything about me. I know nothing about you and don't want too. Obviously, you wish to see me hanging from a noose and the way it is going you will get your wish. You know where I live, maybe it's better that you just come here and put a bullet in my head. I have nobody, no life, no protection, nothing. I can't take the constant taunting and harassment anymore. I made comments because I am frustrated at my miserable life and am an unstable person. You Win. Just please, leave my family out of it.

My time is over. You've got what you wished for.

May 25, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • DH

Ohhhhhhh no. You're not getting off that easy. If anyone is getting bumped off then it's me. I don't even have a family that will miss me. Haven't I been good enough my dear God in heaven? Must you torment me more? Take me!

May 25, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • You know who

So this is possible, but where was the magic mystical powers to prevent all the poisoning of my soul? No caped crusader to protect me? Nice to know justice is selective in your universe.

May 25, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  3. bill

First of all I'm not a bush fan either but your comment that Obama is smart because he graduated from Harvard and bush is stupid even though he graduated from yale is utterly asinine. Secondly you can no more prove what Obama meant than I can so you're protestations mean nothing. Thirdly you no nothing about me I had to go to work at a young age to help my family and wasn't afforded the opportunity to go to college like you, consider yourself lucky. Lastly I at least have enough respect for people to debate something without the name calling, that is a sign that your view point is on shaky ground at best.

May 25, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  4. bill

Not my words he's a muslim-his words. By the way I'm an atheist so I don't give a damn what religion he is as long as he's honest about it. Guess you actually believe he never heard Reverend Wright's rantings either, if so you really are in denial.

May 25, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bill

Btw when I was a christian I never would have called myself a muslim, if I'd been a muslim I never would've called myself a christian even by mistake. Anyone who believes he accidentally called himself a muslim has gotten too drunk off the koolaid.

May 25, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cesar

Can you please shut up? Thank you.

May 25, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bill

It might help your cause just a little bit if you learned how to spell-it's Church of Christ not Church of Crist or maybe you could at least learn to use spell check. Just a thought.

May 25, 2011 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  7. jon

@observer, I am sure you are aware that in an interview with Stephanopoulos, Obama said his muslim faith and never corrected himself, Stephanopoulos had to whisper your Christian faith.

May 25, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  8. mulberry sale

I savour, result in I found just what I used to be having a look for. You have ended my 4 day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye

May 29, 2012 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  9. photocopy

I was suggested this web site by way of my cousin. I am now not sure whether or not this submit is written by means of him as nobody else know such designated about my trouble. You're wonderful! Thank you!

July 20, 2012 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |