Senate rejects budget measure containing Medicare overhaul
May 25th, 2011

Senate rejects budget measure containing Medicare overhaul

In what amounted to political theater rather than legislative action, the Senate rejected Wednesday a House budget plan that included a controversial provision to overhaul Medicare.

The measure was expected to fail due to overwhelming opposition by majority Democrats, as well as wavering support for the Medicare overhaul among Republicans who recognize the provision's unpopularity with senior citizens enrolled in the government-run health insurance program.

The final vote on the proposal originated by House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan, R-Wisconsin, was 40-57, mostly along party lines. Republicans who joined the majority Democrats in opposing the measure were Scott Brown of Massachusetts, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, Rand Paul of Kentucky, and Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins of Maine.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Politics
  1. Joe Moore

Tax and spend Democrates (communist party). Cut spending now! What I earn is mine not some piece of crap lazy liberals.

May 25, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nick

The move to a second or third world country. However, here, we're somewhat civilized.

May 25, 2011 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Cricket

Come on sdiesme,the rich never pay taxes with all those legalized cheating tax breaks. You must be a fan of Sarah Palin with such Tea Party lingo. It is no surprise to me that the right-wing thugs in Washington will do anything to keep this measure from passing. Yet,they pass any bill for a war. Good post RuffNutt,thank you.

May 25, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Joey

OH CESAR! WILL YOU HOLD ME CLOSE TONIGHT?

May 25, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • joe arapaho

What's wrong with the people on CNN anyway? They block my many of posts while letting such a senseless and meaningless one like above posted by this goon Joey of whoever he might be get displayed!!!

May 25, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Joe Moore

May 25, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • i have a brain

Neither party wants to do away with poverty. Dems rely on those who rely on social programs for votes and reubs need minimum wage corporate drones to fill the unskilled job market. If america ended outsourcing then I would support an end to welfare without requirements.

May 25, 2011 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • David Russell

says "Joe Moore
      Its time for people on welfare to pay more taxes. Start punishing laziness and start rewarding success." Just how blind are you Joe, the very rich are getting richly awards will the commoner middle class is getting rat droppings. Now taxing those on government help programs is really stupid as that tax money will come out of the same funds that pay those that need help. You seem to have missed your government class, math class and logical reasoning class, or did you attend school at all? You sound like someone that has not even a lick of sense, only your hatred of others that disagree with you. Are you also a Christian? If so you might as yourself, what would Jesus do?

May 25, 2011 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Nini

Republican need to fight harder for the budget.
    It is amazing how spineless they have become.
    Paul Ryan is the only one willing to tell the American people the truth.
    Shame on Democrats for distorting the truth.
    Shame on the media for not exposing the distortion.

May 25, 2011 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • David Russell

you know why repubs are getting their way, it's because the vote on allowed them to have a small majority in the house and that the dems still control the Senate and the office of president. When will you folks realize that the majority of us voted in the winners and your guy lost or is in a loosing category. The public has spoken loud and clear, there is no republican stronghold anymore, they all need to grow up first and realize that they are not meeting what the people of this country want to happen. The T-party is full of losers and the extreme right will never win. Just like the extreme left will never win.

May 25, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Cesar

Leave Joey alone @ joe arapaho. He is my boyfriend and we are going to the gay bar tonight. You can come if you like (you know you want to).

May 25, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sheriff Joe

Yee Haw! You know I'll be wearing my pink undies. Should I bring a prison beeyotch boy toy twink with me?

May 25, 2011 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  7. bill

If the government hadn't stolen the money, our money, from medicare and social security then the funds would be there to pay all benefits-that according to the government's own accounting office. A voucher system is pie in the sky dreaming, no insurance company is going to insure senior citizens without horribly outrageous premiums and co pays, that's a reality. If Paul Ryan puts forth a bill to do away with all congressmen's retirement benefits and health care benefits then I'd say let's talk. But every one knows as well as I do that will never happen.

May 25, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Cricket

I agree, sdiesme,the rich pay enough taxes with all those legalized tax breaks.

I,too am a fan of Sarah Palin and the Tea Party.

It is no surprise to me that the left-wing thugs in Washington will do anything to keep this measure from passing, to pay for a war.

RuffNutt,shut up.

May 25, 2011 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  9. George Patton

@Cricket(9:06)
    Good post,thank you.

May 25, 2011 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Cricket

I'm sorry,I did not post any of the above. Somebody is using my name to post their blather. How repulsive!

May 25, 2011 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Cesar

I eat poop

May 25, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  12. bill

You all do know that even after paying into medicare all your working life you still have to pay monthly premiums out of your social security plus deductibles and co pays. Medicare and social security aren't breaking the country, it's out of control military spending that is the real culprit, we spend 100 times more on the military than all other countries combined. We can begin fixing the budget by closing unnecessary bases, we can also start demanding that other countries start paying their fair share for policing the world.

May 25, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Joe Moore

Vote out the Socialist Democrats and stop the Obama agenda! We need a Coolidge and Reagan styled President.

May 25, 2011 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nick

No, to both.

May 25, 2011 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • David Russell

Hey Joe Moore the democrats have more votes so the Senate can't pass the Repub blather there. That is the way we voters want it and that is how it's going to stay. The Right made promises of jobs to get elected and they done jack squat to accomplish that promise. Those voting for the right were fooled and they won't be fooled again. I am a proud democrat, my party is doing just what I and the majority of voters want them to do.

May 25, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Ellis

I love Panama. I am gay. I swim.

May 25, 2011 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Cesar

@fake Cesar: your mother.

May 25, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |