May 26th, 2011

Libya lists 'proposals' for ceasefire, Spain says

The office of Libya's prime minister sent a message to the Spanish government listing "a series of proposals that could lead to a ceasefire," a spokesman for Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero said Thursday.

The message, from the office of Prime Minister Baghdadi al-Mahmoudi, was also sent to other European capitals, the spokesman said, adding that he could not name which capitals.

Spain has contributed military assets, including troops, to the NATO-led mission to enforce a no-fly zone and protect civilians in Libya.

Read CNN's full coverage of the Libyan ceasefire proposal
Post by:
Filed under: Libya • Spain
  1. Ellis

Libya will not tolerate gay people. So I will not go there. I just adore gay guys.

May 26, 2011 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Joel2208

What's wrong with CNN anyway,letting such a stupid and meaningless comment like this one be displayed here? We need to have better monitoring and keep these idiots' comments from being displayed here.

May 26, 2011 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
    • gill

Wait ....ellis is OBVIOUSLY a genious
      GoEllis , 2012 !

May 26, 2011 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
    • NotLibyanIntelAtAll

@joel,
      The political ticker is where you want to be, the mods over there wear jackboots and spiffy black uniforms.

May 26, 2011 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  2. Joey

I don't trust anything "Libya" (Gadhafi) says.

May 26, 2011 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Joey

Sorry folks,I never posted the above. Like Joel already said above,they need to block the stupid and senseless posts made by these jerks who never say anything and are not funny at all!

May 26, 2011 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  3. NotLibyanIntelAtAll

The proposals from the Brother Leader sound like an excellent idea, they are not in the leest a ploy to buy more time for us to fortify our defenses against the crusaders.

May 26, 2011 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  4. Joey

I didn't write the second Joey post above.
    I'm pretty sure that I know who did.

May 26, 2011 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  5. Elephant In The Room

Its hard to under estimate the motivational influence that Obama popping Osama is having on Kaddafhi.

The missile attack that nearly got Moammar, and took out his son, has driven the decades-ruling Libyian tyrant into hiding. With PREDATOR drone attack in Yemen, Moammar doesn`t want to live like that.

It`s now the Secretary of States assignment to diplomatically ease this man out of office and out of Libya. Time to find some other nation where Kadaffhi cand live out his days or die in an aerial bombardment that he will never see, hear, or feel coming.

Congratulations on no loss of American military life in this conflict. It has the potential to be a textbook case study on how to remove a despot from power.

May 26, 2011 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Joey

You ignoramuses seem to come out of the woodwork. Thank you for displaying your obvious limitations here with your stupid post above. It only proves that you let the government do all your thinking for you. Have you no shame???

May 26, 2011 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Jim Davis

That's OK,Joey. If these people want to display their ignorance here,let them. After all,contrary to what CNN believes,everyone has a right to their opinion.

May 26, 2011 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  6. TACO JOE

Almost tIme to eat some tacos ! WAHOOOOOO !

May 26, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  7. jon

Does nobody understand that the muslim brotherhood is behind what's going on in Libya and Egypt, not a fan of Ghaddafi but the muslim brotherhood gaining control is not a good thing, they are apart of al qaeda after all.

May 26, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • v

they gave it a flowery name – arab spring (while it's neither arab nor spring) – so it must be warm, bright colored and fluffy, right? Wait till peoples with terrorist incilinations finally get their democracy. Democracy of terror. Just look at "democratic" Gaza...

May 26, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Skynet

I'm pretty sure giving Gadhaffi up and withdrawing military would satisfy NATO. There's no proof that Muslim Brotherhood is behind this. When a bomb blows up a market then I will accept your hypothesis about terrorists. The pictures I've seen of the fighters all show young men in western designer clothing. Nothing fundamentalist about that.

May 26, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  8. bobcat2u

Ghadafi : Here's my proposal guys. You let me stay in power and I'll let you quit shooting at me. Otherwise, (Here I come agaaaaaain. Catch me if you caaaaaaaan !!!!!!!!

May 26, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Andreas Moser

Could someone please kill Mr Gaddafi?

May 26, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Another right-wing goon here with his stupid,meaningless comment. I just wonder what the devil did Mohammar Qadaffy ever do to this bozo. We need to rid this country of these right-wing nutjobs and maybe then we can have some peace!

May 26, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  10. leeintulsa

He's just buying time and trying to set the stage for him being the 'victim' ala 'i want peace and they keep bombing me'.

It'd be nice to know what he proposes. I could care less where he sent it.

May 26, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Guest

Joey, Jim Davis, and John are all the same troll person. Now watch, one of the troll's alias' will say, "good post, _____. Thank you.
    How disgusting!
    And one of them will tell me I'm obviously a fan of Sarah Palin, (which I'm not) and tell me there's no place for Tea Party lingo here.
    How repulsive!

May 26, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  12. jon

Actually there's quite a bit of proof the muslim brotherhood is behind it, alqaeda has admitted to funding the muslim brotherhood to cause restlessness in the middle east. The founder of the muslim brotherhood is a close relative to Zawahiri but that's ok. if you wish to bury your head in the sand and pretend it doesn't exist. BTW I'm not defending Ghaddafi, it's too bad Reagan didn't get him in the 80's. I'm only pointing out a fact that this Arab Spring isn't necessarily what we think it is.

May 26, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  13. jon

Forgot to mention that it's a known fact that many of the rebels in Libya are members of the Taliban in Libya.

May 26, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  14. RuffNutt

Good post John,thank you. My goodness, Guest, with that Tea Party lingo you are obviously a fan of Sarah Palin. There is no place for such profanity in this forum. It is simply unacceptable.

May 26, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Skynet

RuffNutt,I suppose that Guest feels akin to his right-wing cronies in Washington and the mere fact that there are people like you and me that can't be influenced by those goons,is simply too much for him to take. Typical of a Tea Partier.

May 26, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |