Overheard on CNN.com: Top court rules in Arizona's favor
The U.S. Supreme Court has backed an Arizona law that punishes businesses hiring illegal immigrants.
May 26th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Top court rules in Arizona's favor

Comments of the Day:

“It is about time that these American companies are held accountable for their actions. After all, they have been unwilling to pay fair wages to American citizens and instead have paid dirt-low wages to illegal immigrants.”– sam49

“When illegal immigrants provide the backbone of produce production in the United States at costs far below minimum wage, that benefits those legally here. Wave your pom-poms for change all you want, but be sure you understand what you're changing.”– GeorgeFnBush

Supreme Court backs Arizona immigration law that punishes businesses

Arizona can suspend the licenses of Arizona businesses that don't verify that new hires are in the country legally, according to a U.S. Supreme Court ruling. Many CNN.com readers, including self-proclaimed liberals, cheered the ruling.

rosalvaje said, “Hurray for Arizona and coming to a state near you.” ChrisDawg said, “As a liberal, I'm fine with this.” OutNasa said, “This ruling is pro legal immigrant. I applaud it.” NCArmyVet1 said, “We welcome all immigrants who come here legally!” notrolls said, “It looks like even the Supreme Court is capable of grasping the concept that it is illegal to be illegal.”

But JJNOLA said, “Congratulations AZ. You just gave your businesses away to other border states. Guest141414 replied, “Only those that willingly violate federal laws. It's not much of a loss, really.”

Serene1111 said, “They will just jump ship from Arizona and move to other states which don't have the same laws.” VanKrunk replied, “Yes, they already are, and we here in Arizona wish to thank places like Colorado for offering them a nice place to stay.”

Some readers argued over whether American workers will really benefit from the jobs illegal immigrants leave behind. strawberry33 said, “Americans did these jobs before we got overrun with illegals that would do it cheaper.” OutNasa said, “Once illegals are removed from the employment equation, unemployment offices can align the able with part-time gardening jobs while they look for work. There will always be someone to do the work for an illegal.”

But MACVINDANANG replied, “Not true at all! The United Farm Workers of America, a predominantly Hispanic union, launched its ‘Take Our Jobs’ campaign in response to anti-immigrant rhetoric. It offered to place native-born workers in farm jobs. Several thousand Americans responded to the online ad, but only two actually accepted the backbreaking, low-paying jobs.”

Guest141414 said, “Obviously, the wages for the jobs will have to be raised, as businesses cannot hire legal workers for less than minimum wage, as they do when they exploit illegal immigrants. Once that happens, I think you'll be surprised.” Guest said, “This will increase landscaping costs for me.”

Why is America the 'no-vacation nation'?

Employees in Germany, France, United Kingdom, Brazil and many other industrialized countries enjoy at least four weeks of guaranteed vacation yearly. Employees in the United States might get two weeks plus a handful of holidays, but time off is not required by U.S. law. Why is the United States so down on down time?

GM1966 replied, “Corporate greed. The company I work for offers two weeks' paid vacation but there are too many strings attached to actually take the time off and if you don't use it, you lose it.”

MapleMike said, “As long as America believes that ‘what's good for businesses is good for the country,’ this situation will never change. Corporations have zero interest in improving the health of American society by giving people more vacation. This kind of change can only be mandated by a government.”

DrRational said, “American workers not only vote against their own best interests, they get out in the streets and protest against them. Convinced that unions and regulations are the enemy, we march into dangerous working conditions so our corporate leaders can get ever-larger salaries.“ truth109 said, “Vacation? More and more jobs in America are contract jobs, and these jobs offer no benefits like vacation or health insurance.”

But some readers spoke up for the American model. Savannah2424 said, “There's also the difference between the tax rates in the U.S, and in Europe. Do you want to pay 70% of your income so someone else can have a vacation?” MainStreet76 said, “You have to make sacrifices to make it in America, and yes, vacations are included in those sacrifices.” goodflag said, “I am an American living in Slovenia, and all is not as wonderful as it seems. True, there is lots of vacation, but at a cost. Employers are reluctant to hire because of the heavy demands placed on them per each employee.”

jellomizer said, “American culture has what we do for work as a key part of our self identity. If you ask most Americans to describe themselves the first thing they will say is what type of job they do.”

Those who had experienced other ways of living and working shared their experiences. jezza10000 said, “I'm originally from the UK but live in DC now. In the UK all employers must give four weeks as a minimum, required by law. The land of the 'free' apparently has no free time. I think it's sad how people live for their jobs here, and I get so bored hearing my American friends talking about work all the time."

ffhd1clt said, “When I started traveling for work internationally years ago, I realized the vacation thing was much different outside the USA. I was mostly traveling to South American countries, and the norm in countries like Chile and Argentina is to take a full month off during the summer.”

Weebie said, "I earn 3-4 times doing the same job in Sydney than I would in New York. Americans are some of the lowest paid workers in the world, with some countries such as Poland and Malaysia very close to surpassing the salaries for Americans."

Kynt said, “That's not all. In many European countries people get paid sick leave on top of the 4-6 weeks paid vacation, meaning they can use their vacation for actually recharging their batteries. They don't have to use vacation time when they're too sick to work. In Western Europe every dock worker and truck driver is entitled to paid vacation and sick leave.”

Lightmaster said, “I'm a normal worker in Germany. If I get sick at work I can go home and get paid for the day. If my illness continues, I can get a free medical card from the doctor and stay up to six weeks at home or hospital and get 100% income. Why are you against public health insurance?”

ScottNH said, “A friend of mine was fired for calling in sick too much, was then diagnosed with cancer and is now in end-stage with a month or two left to live. If she had been in France, Israel, Singapore, Denmark, or Japan she would have received medical treatment. Are Americans worth less?”

1. John

All we hear from the pro-illegal immigrant crowd is that these are people who "take jobs legal immigrants and citizens don't want."

Suuuuuure...so we'll just ignore the fact that liberals across the nation are giving illegals in-state tuition. What will they do with that college degree? Not work the fields, that's for sure.

May 27, 2011 at 1:32 am | Report abuse |
    • RonnieReagan

Thanks for bring this up. The idiots in Annapolis, Maryland just passed a law this year allowing ILLEGALS to get in-state tuition. How can someone who isn't even legally a US resident, get IN STATE tuition to a state university.

May 27, 2011 at 2:11 am | Report abuse |
    • MrId

If I was paying out-of-state tuition to go to a Maryland university I'd sue the state. Make them explain in court why a legal American citizen from another state must pay more than an illegal citizen from another country....

May 27, 2011 at 2:33 am | Report abuse |
    • beaker

That "only illegal immigrants will do this work" is a myth created by "the race" (la raza) and "reconquer" ( reconquista) racist radical mexicans with the bent on taking over America. Americans will work your mexican nalgas into the ground.

May 27, 2011 at 2:37 am | Report abuse |
  2. Some where in Iowa

Well i'm happy that the people who support these laws are going to get what they ask for / like cleaning toilets and work in the fields unders the phoenix hot weather and getting the minimum wage or worst . So they will know what does these illegal people suffer everyday . I know that not all the hispanics are hard working people but i do realize that it the same thing for all other race ther's good and bad everywhere .

May 27, 2011 at 1:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Guyoplata

Never been a field worker but I really doubt a lot grows in 110+ degrees just saying the growing season here is probably fall to spring with some in summer possibly. To your point though if the jobs have minimum wages and follow the government labor laws I'm sure some people will do them. I'm also sure that there will always be a black market for illegal labor it just now might have a lot more risk to it.

May 27, 2011 at 2:00 am | Report abuse |
    • beaker

If they are legal no problem. What is so difficult to understand. If they are illegal they are illegal. Duh

May 27, 2011 at 2:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Hey

...and there wil be riots in the street and prices of everyting will go up a million percent and Bedlam will ensue. I think not. Despite the picture you paint I don't think that the world will fall apart if the US has a lillte control over who comes in to the US.

May 27, 2011 at 3:04 am | Report abuse |
  3. Annexian

The person who does business with the illegal, or who ships jobs overseas, is NOT a "Businessman" at least no more than a mafia don, an illegal drugs or arms dealer. Let that garbage END. They are at least a thief or a con artist, and perhaps even a traitor. They steal the American dream from a fellow American and the immigrant. They steal from their entire country in the long term to enrich themselves in the short-term.

Oh, and another thing...BEDBUGS...

Whether they come here as stuffing in the "Made in China" matresses or they hitch a ride in the maid's bag and go into your motel, illegal immigrants and exported jobs help make sure that they are re-infesting a post DDT (took this long for it to fade!) America at a rapid pace. Hire Jose to work for half what any American would for and twice as hard, your "Savings" might be countered by bedbugs in his clothing getting into your house creating an infestation that could cost $20K to remove, making your house unsellable or condemned depending on which local laws get passed.

May 27, 2011 at 1:43 am | Report abuse |
  4. beaker

Folks it is simple. Play by the rules. If you want to work in my country do it legally. Bring brains, a trade, speak English and drive your beaters with respect for our laws. Drive on your side of the road. Simple.

May 27, 2011 at 2:30 am | Report abuse |
  5. Edgar Chavez

May 27, 2011 at 2:33 am | Report abuse |
  6. Hey

When laws are passed that are precieved to "punish" the illegal immigrants then people say "why don't you punish the people who employ them instead". So the did, and now thats not good enough. Laws have to be respected and not ignored. Im generally think Obama is ok but on this issue he is on the wrong side. Its not about punishing anyone, its about having rule of law that says you cannot come to this country with out going through a legal process. Regardless of the fact that you lived here for 20 years with out a green card, you have kids born here or bought a house here. You knew what you were breaking the law.

May 27, 2011 at 3:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Martin C.

Where is your human side? you would separate children from their parents only because they were trying to get a better life? They are already getting illegal pay, (yes i understand they are illegal). You have stripped the man of his unlaniable rights, these are universal and do not know borders... You would strip him of his children, let them grow with no parents and become a problem to society? come on they are human not a plague as many say...

May 27, 2011 at 4:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Cranky

If I collect my salary and unemployment at the same time, you don't have a problem with that, then? I'm just trying to make a better life for myself. If the authorities find out and deem it an arrestable offense, they shouldn't arrest me, because according to you, they shouldn't separate me from my children.

If I have no empoyable skills and go around robbing banks, you wouldn't have a problem with that, either? After all, I AM just trying to make a better life for myself. They shouldn't arrest me either, because you don't think they should separate me from my kids.

I could keep going, but I think you see my point. If not, then my point is that you can't break the law just because of "this" or just because of "that". If you're breaking the law, you're breaking the law. There are ways to make a better life for your family in this country legally. Almost across the board, the legal immigrants I know are VERY mad that these illegals are getting passes left and right.

May 27, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  7. Cnn Desk

The Anthonys wasted millions of taxpayer dollars by lying to LE and collected thousands of dollars in donations, trips for media appearances where they were wined, dined and catered to at hotels the white trash never would have stayed in before. I actually wondered if they all plotted this in order to get all the money they could to bail themselves out of the financial problems they were having.

LE could have been working on many other crimes and the Anthonys should be prosecuted to the fullest extent and made to REPAY every cent they collected under false pretenses. Why are they still living in that house? Only because someone bailed them out when they were about to be foreclosed. Who is paying all their legal bills?

Nancy Grace is sickening the way she favors them and talks about all the toys, etc. that Caylee had. That means nothing and Nancy should stfu about her twins.

May 27, 2011 at 3:30 am | Report abuse |
  8. Cnn Desk

Greta Von Susteran did an excellent interview with the Anthonys in their home and it was obvious that Cindy was prompting George what to say about the gas cans being found in Casey’s trunk. He almost slipped and said Caylee was in the trunk which would explain why Casey didn’t want him to get the tool he needed (if anything at all about that story is even true). Everything each of the Anthonys has said to date is a possible lie and I don’t think they would suddenly start telling the truth simply because they are under oath. They have no respect for the law or the truth..

May 27, 2011 at 3:30 am | Report abuse |
  9. john williamson '' jonay''

WELL WHERE TO START. THE ILLEGAL ARE HERE. WHAT TO DO ABOUT THEM [NOT IT] SURELY SOMETHING CAN BE DONE BUT WHAT?????STOP AND THINK ONLY ONE ......AND ONLY ONE. YOU HAVE TO STOP THE CROSSING FIRST UNTIL THEN YOU ARE TREADING WATER SAY WHAT YOU WANT THINK WHAT YOU MAY......ONLY ONE PUT THAT COFFEE DOWN T H I N K.....SURE IT WAS RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU ALL THE TIME.....YOU SAY WHY DONT THE GOV. REALIZE THAT I DONT HAVE THE ANSWER TO THAT....DO THEY I GUESS NO.. I AM A GOOD GUESSER. MAYBE TO LATE TO DO ANYTHING WITH THE COURTS OR LAW, BUT THE BORDERS WELL THATS ANOTHER STORY. SURLEY WELL,MAYBE NO LONG WAY TO THE MOON BUT WE GOT THERE " THE BORDERS" COMING TO YOUR AREA SOON NO CHARGE AT FIRST BUT LATER WELL.......ANOTHER STORY DOWN THE ROAD "THE BORDERS" STARRING THE ENTIRE REP OF MEX. OH ONE THING MORE THE SEQUEL WILL BE ENTILED "THE NEW BORDERS"

May 27, 2011 at 3:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Cranky

Please stop yelling, you nutter.

May 27, 2011 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  10. Martin C.

LOL well this isnt a problem theres plenty of work in missoury... the only thing that this will cause is an immigrant migration to states that actually want to get something done with the manpower. You honestly think all those homes in New Orleans from Katrina would have been rebuilt as fast if there were no immigrants willing to work for an illegal wage? No, they would still be rebuilding and not very far as of now. We Americans love our country and would shed sweat and blood to help our brother. Understand this illegal aliens are as much a part of America and its economy as any legal citizen. I know it hurts, but the truth is they are willing to do work for a pay, if there are unemployed people in America its not cuz of illegals its cuz the unemployed people all want a desk job but dont want to earn it. There are plenty of our brothers in need as we speak send all the unemployed for minimum(legal) wage, THEN SEE HOW MANY ACCEPT... then come back and apologize to the illegal aliens lol..

May 27, 2011 at 4:13 am | Report abuse |
  11. Cnn Desk

Learn to write Martin, Missouri, you're an ASS.

May 27, 2011 at 4:22 am | Report abuse |
  12. Martin C.

You still havent answered how many of the unemployed legal Americans would accept a job to help people who lost their homes from natural disasters would accept a job for minimum wage>.> lol ... THink about it dude would you ? if you had no job? OH and this is the internet dude u wanna get a response with perfect grammar? go read a book or a magazine... dont tell me u over there in missoury will refuse an aliens offer to rebuild your home lol...
    I'm not an ass i just speak common sense my friend, its sad that you call me that because of my "poor writing".

May 27, 2011 at 4:42 am | Report abuse |
  13. Cnn Desk

Martin just shut up. You sound stupid.

May 27, 2011 at 5:23 am | Report abuse |
  14. CNN trashcan

Americans prefer Wal-Mart. Of course we would rather pay less and get less, even when it comes to maintaining our homes. But most of US would hang on unemployment before we would take an minimum wage job away from an illegalalien. Notice how many times unemployment benefits have been extended.

May 27, 2011 at 6:38 am | Report abuse |
  15. floyd smith

ITS ABOUT TIME THIS LAW WILL APPLY TO ALL THE STATES NOT JUST ARIZONA.ILLEGALS NEED TO GO BACK TO MEXICO AND OVER THROW THEIR GOVERNMENT AND MAKE THINGS BETTER IN THEIR COUNTRY.

May 27, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jean Sartre

I could NOT have said it any better or clearer...

May 27, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |