Senate votes to extend key Patriot Act provisions
May 26th, 2011

Senate votes to extend key Patriot Act provisions

The Senate voted Thursday to extend three key provisions of the Patriot Act scheduled to expire at midnight, sending the measure to the House for consideration.

The House had been scheduled to begin its Memorial Day recess on Thursday afternoon. However, a protracted dispute over the legislation in the Senate, fueled by conservative newcomer Sen. Rand Paul, R-Kentucky, muddied voting schedules and required the House to stay longer than planned.

Late Thursday afternoon, Paul reached a deal with Senate leaders to allow votes on whether to table two of his amendments. Both amendments failed, and the subsequent vote on the measure to extend the Patriot Act provisions for four years passed easily on a 72-23 vote.

The expiring provisions of the law passed after the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks deal with roving wiretaps, tracking alleged "lone wolf" terrorists, and the ability of law enforcement officials to obtain any records they deem relevant to an investigation.

While the Senate approval was expected, passage in the House could be tougher as lawmakers on the right and left oppose an extension for various reasons. For example, some members of Congress are concerned about the law's impact on civil liberties, while others support the law but think it should be made permanent.

FULL STORY
Post by: ,
Filed under: Politics
  1. First

🙂

May 26, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Joey

Leave it up to Congress to do the wrong thing! That they never fail to do,but yet are powerless to balance the national budget or get a comprehensive health care plan passed. This extension of the Patriot Act shows just how self-serving and self-centered our right-wing politicians are and that makes me sick!!!

May 26, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cesar

Good grief Joey,you said it all. As far as Congress is concrned,you do have x-ray vision by seeing through those creeps up there!!! My hat's off to you!

May 26, 2011 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  3. BOO!

You'll laugh.
    You'll cry.
    You'll kiss your rights goodbye.

May 26, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Joey

mmmmmm....gay dudes.

May 26, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  5. fred

Just pass the Victory act and get it over with already.

May 26, 2011 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Joey

I did not write even one of the posts above using my name, and CNN just censored my first attempt to deny their authorship.

May 26, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Joey

I support the Patriot Act.

May 26, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Cesar

Apparently Joey is under the impression that he is the only person named "Joey" in the entire world.
    ******DUH*****

May 26, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Where's the exit to all of this insanity?

Ah the joys of an ignorant world. The breeze is brown and chunky these days with all the BS flying around.
    Nothing like a toxic society for real enjoyment, is there? The Patriot Act was done illegally in the first place as a product of corruption. Nothing has changed for the better yet. Better pack your first aid kits with cyanide pills....you might want them later after you've figured out just how screwed up this whole mess has become.
    Where does one get such pills anyway? I'd like to have some on hand.

May 26, 2011 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  10. (required)

@Joey:

We know the real Joey, never fear. The difference between you and the "right-wing thugs" spouter and you is marked, and noted.

May 26, 2011 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  11. (required)

@Cesar:

As there is a plethora of Cesars to choose from, also, most, seemingly, gay.

May 26, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Minnie Wilhemina Muckleraff

@ Cesar Not (9:14):
    Perhaps this name will serve me better.
    There may be another one in the world, but there won't be many: about as many as red diamonds with natural origin of color.
    The Patriot act can be extended permanently as far as I'm concerned. I have absolutely nothing to hide, and I don't think any of my friends do.
    I feel sort of like the guy in TOOSIE with this name.
    Fun!

May 26, 2011 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Minnie Wilhemina Muckleraff

How do I appear in...drag?

May 26, 2011 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Cesar

It appears that these Tea Party trolls are at it again,usurping other peoples' names for their personal amusement. It must be nice not to have feelings about anything or anyone. That's the bright side of being ignorant and as they see it,ignorance truly is bliss!!!

May 26, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Minnie Wilhemina Muckleraff

Uh oh, I think that might be the real Cesar–can't let him see me like this...oh, Taxi–!

May 26, 2011 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |