May 27th, 2011

Florida boy wrestles 6-foot alligator back to house

Michael Dasher thought he had hooked a good-sized fish Wednesday.

The 10-year-old and two friends were fishing in a canal near his home in Rockledge in Brevard County, Florida, when the line snapped.

Michael's buddy, Kentral Welch, thought his friend was reeling in a big one "...until I saw his face," CNN affiliate WKMG in Orlando reported.

What they were staring at was a 5-foot-9 long alligator, which charged at the boys. Michael says he used a stick and even got on the animal's back. Then Michael dragged the gator home.

Wildlife officers were called and said they had to tell Michael he could have been charged with a felony for capturing an alligator. He says he learned his lesson. Next time, he'll just out run it.

Filed under: Alligators • Animals • Florida • Nature
  1. fernace

This kid's definetly trying out for a Steve Irwin type job! When the 'gator charged, he probably told his friend "Crikey! Whatta beauty! He's flat out"!! Get this kid to a zoo, posthaste!

May 27, 2011 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  2. fernace

Alligator does not taste like chicken! It tastes like frog!! For real, though!!!

May 27, 2011 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  3. stewie

I've had frog legs too and I thought it tasted like chicken also. Was actually going to mention that early but decided not to.

May 27, 2011 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  4. stewie

Now shark there's something to make a meal of throw it on the grill for a few minutes and it's like eating a steak. Different flavor mind you but a similar texture, not flaky like most fish.

May 27, 2011 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jerry

Shark tastes like your local landfill smells in high summer!

May 28, 2011 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
  5. Ellis

fernace and stewie-why do you not respect the frog life of the world? You talk about them as if they were nothing. I think that is wrong. Frogs have feelings just like you two. Please stop the BS!

May 27, 2011 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Ellis

I'm a gay frog

May 27, 2011 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  7. AntiEllis

Oh, shut up, Ellis! Considering the obscene things continually spewing from your filthy mouth with no consideration four OUR feelings, you have a lot of nerve calling people out on what they choose to eat. Stop your OWN bs!

May 27, 2011 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Ellis

AntiEllis-Please don't be angry. I apologize that another or others hi-jack my name and troll me. It is a never ending problem. I am not the one posting garbage. I don't know who it is. Please don't be angry with me as I am the victim here.

May 28, 2011 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  9. sharbe

Why was it so necessarily to make sure these boys were informed of the possibility of going to jail for capturing an alligator? These are 10 year old boys who caught something really neat. They wanted to show it off to the family and have some bragging rights.....that's all. All the Wildlife officer had to say was, "pretty cool guys, but they're also really dangerous and we don't want anyone to get hurt so there is a law that says you can't capture them. So if you catch one again, just cut the line so you are safe and won't be breaking any laws." Very simple, doesn't hurt anyone's feelings and doesn't make out the Wildlife officer as a jerk either. Kids just like adults need bragging rights from time to time without being threaten with prosecution.

May 28, 2011 at 1:36 am | Report abuse |
  10. fernace

Ellis, I luv ya dude & I'm a chick(& I taste like chicken!)! I also love trolls , frogs, cyclops & snails! Lets get inebriated together, while toasting to to the misfortune of Anti-Ellis, such as he gets lost in troll infested woods! He must run for his life, lest they hve their way with him...wich he'll looove! OK!?!

May 28, 2011 at 2:03 am | Report abuse |
    • brian

i doubt you taste like chicken ...prove it !

June 6, 2011 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  11. Ellis

im shocked fernace. I didn't know you were female. This is news, and I heard it here at CNN. I've read many of your posts. You write like a guy cuz you give crp you don't take crp. No offense.

May 28, 2011 at 6:39 am | Report abuse |
  12. Gator

Some say that priest's are somehow involved with 10 yr. old boys getting in trouble for molesting aligators.

May 28, 2011 at 6:40 am | Report abuse |
  13. Doodlerblog

This kid is awesome. If I ever have a son, I hope he has half the nuts this kid has.

May 28, 2011 at 6:53 am | Report abuse |
  14. bobalou

Wildlife officers are jerks.

May 28, 2011 at 6:58 am | Report abuse |
  15. Gator

It was a very old and weak aligator. The kids were just pestering him the same way that they mess with old people. No news here people. Move along.

May 28, 2011 at 7:02 am | Report abuse |