On the Radar: Pacific typhoon; art race in California; NHL playoffs
Typhoon Songda moves away from the Philippines on Friday.
May 27th, 2011

On the Radar: Pacific typhoon; art race in California; NHL playoffs

Three stories to watch into the weekend.

Pacific typhoon: Typhoon Songda was weakening Friday over the western Pacific but was still expected to be a Category 3 storm when it passes near the Japanese island of Okinawa on Saturday.

The Pacific Joint Typhoon Warning Center in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, forecasts Songda's maximum sustained winds to be 120 mph with gusts up to 150 mph as it approaches Okinawa, home to tens of thousands of U.S. military personnel, on Saturday. The Japan Meteorological Agency forecast Songda to be a very strong storm as it approaches Okinawa.

Significant weakening was predicted, however, as the typhoon passes southeast of Japan's main islands on Sunday.

U.S. military officials on Okinawa have banned troops from consuming alcohol during the storm, saying alcohol use in such conditions puts troops and their mission in danger.

Officials in the Philippines said Songda, also known as Chedeng, killed two people there, according to the Philippine Information Agency.

Art triathlon: Scores of artists, pilots and engineers will bring their one-of-a-kind kinetic machines to race for the glory at the 43rd annual Kinetic Grand Championship.

Billed as "The Triathlon of the Art World," the event pits human-powered art sculptures on wheels against one another in a three-day race across California's northern coast.

Pilots guiding "kinetic sculptures" ranging from gigantic tricycles to hulking metallic lobsters will traverse road, water and sand on their way from the city of Arcata to Ferndale.

NHL playoffs: The Boston Bruins and Tampa Bay Lightning play Game 7 of their Eastern Conference finals Friday night in Boston.

Tampa Bay won Game 6 Wednesday at home to tie the series at three games apiece.

"Boston is 1-0 in home playoff Game 7s this year, while Tampa Bay is 1-0 on the road. Something's gotta give," writes SI.com's Adrian Dater.

Friday night's winner will take on the Vancouver Canucks for the Stanley Cup.
Post by: ,
Filed under: Art • California • Hockey • Japan • NHL • Philippines • Tropical weather • Weather
  1. Ellis

150 miles an hour? That is very bad

May 27, 2011 at 6:50 am | Report abuse |
  2. Ellis

Aflac!

May 27, 2011 at 6:52 am | Report abuse |
  3. Ellis

The Bruins are going to win

May 27, 2011 at 6:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Canadian Genius

Whoever wins, I just want them to beat the Canucks. God, I hate those guys.

May 27, 2011 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  4. Ellis

Have you noticed everything costs more at games be it football,hockey, baseball etc. Like nachos with chili. I just love a foot long hot dog with extra mayo. I just shove it down my throat and swallow it whole.

May 27, 2011 at 6:59 am | Report abuse |
  5. Ellis

When asked by the vendor, "Is the foot long long enough for you?". I said no, and merged two hot dogs length wise. Well, my goodness, talk about a real treat. Took me a long time to swallow that lovely thing.

May 27, 2011 at 7:03 am | Report abuse |
  6. Ellis

Give me a "B" give me an "R". Give me a "U". Give me an "I". Give me an "N". Give me an "S". What does it spell say it again. I was a cheerleader in my high school and college days in Panama. Go Bruins. Come come on top of me!!!!!!!!

May 27, 2011 at 7:08 am | Report abuse |
  7. tamez

lol ellis is that you india battery motor T lol.

May 27, 2011 at 7:08 am | Report abuse |
  8. Ellis

Yes! I wonder how in the world did you ever guess? Just take out the "india" and write in "Panamanian."

May 27, 2011 at 7:10 am | Report abuse |
  9. Joey

Ellis, I wish you'd gone out for the team.

May 27, 2011 at 7:29 am | Report abuse |
  10. Bob

Um done talking Ellis we would like to talk to? :p And to all those out in Okinawa good luck with the Typhoon

May 27, 2011 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
  11. Raymond

My worst driver pet peave is when people who drive slow on interstate highways don't move over to the right side ande you are forced to pass on the the right.

May 27, 2011 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |
  12. Cnn Desk

The Anthonys wasted millions of taxpayer dollars by lying to LE and collected thousands of dollars in donations, trips for media appearances where they were wined, dined and catered to at hotels the white trash never would have stayed in before. I actually wondered if they all plotted this in order to get all the money they could to bail themselves out of the financial problems they were having.

LE could have been working on many other crimes and the Anthonys should be prosecuted to the fullest extent and made to REPAY every cent they collected under false pretenses. Why are they still living in that house? Only because someone bailed them out when they were about to be foreclosed. Who is paying all their legal bills?

Nancy Grace is sickening the way she favors them and talks about all the toys, etc. that Caylee had. That means nothing and Nancy should stfu about her twins.

Greta Von Susteran did an excellent interview with the Anthonys in their home and it was obvious that Cindy was prompting George what to say about the gas cans being found in Casey’s trunk. He almost slipped and said Caylee was in the trunk which would explain why Casey didn’t want him to get the tool he needed (if anything at all about that story is even true). Everything each of the Anthonys has said to date is a possible lie and I don’t think they would suddenly start telling the truth simply because they are under oath. They have no respect for the law or the truth.

May 27, 2011 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Tammy

Dunno who you are, but you hit the nail on the head! I believe that ALL the Anthony's should be tried, found guilty AND be put to death. Casey for doing it, her parents and brother for not reporting her missing earlier and for supporting Casey throughout this whole ordeal. However, it would be sweet poetic justice to put her father in prison for a few weeks and let the inmates know he's a former police officer accused of aiding and abetting his child killer daughter.

May 27, 2011 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  13. Joey

Raymond,
    Those drivers are usually scared. Frequently old, they are borderline cases of should-not-drive syndrome.
    They annoy me too, but I don't think that they cause accidents: just delays.
    I want to do a lot of driving on my vacation in August; I love driving. Gas costs more? Cut back somewhere else.

May 27, 2011 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
  14. banasy

I eat poop

May 27, 2011 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Tammy

that's nice dear, now run along and play.

May 27, 2011 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  15. toby

The troops can't during during a Typhoon!!!!??? SMH When I was stationed on Okinawa, the base was shut down and movement outdoors was restricted for two – four days for a typhoon. We would "Shelter-In-Place at someone's house with food, drink, and movies and have the BEST parties.

May 27, 2011 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Tammy

I was stationed there from 90~93 and once they closed the gates no one entered and no one left, it was a perfect time for R&R and or a party! Can't believe they go and ban drinking for the troops.

May 27, 2011 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |