Love, Down Under: Dating agency matches single women to farmers
"Brides" pursue a single male on a race track as part of a radio promotion in Brisbane, Australia.
May 28th, 2011

Love, Down Under: Dating agency matches single women to farmers

Pop singer Beyonce told single ladies to put their hands up, but maybe she should have directed them Down Under.

A dating agency is shuttling busloads of single women to rural areas in hopes that they’ll find lonely farmers, according to an article in the London Telegraph.

Contacted by CNN late Friday, Brie Peters said she got the idea for the single women tours from a chance encounter.

“I’m lucky enough to have some friends that live in the outback of Australia,” she said, “and we were at a pub one night and the pub owner said, ‘Brie, you’ll be interested in this, ‘I know a lot of single women that send me letters’ ” looking for rural men, she said.

Peters said she came up with a tour service, Thank Goodness He’s a Country Boy, that caters to women but also addresses a serious issue in Australia's urban areas: Evidently it's where the boys aren't.

In 2008 a book by author Bernard Salt stated Australia had nearly 100,000 more women than men in its metropolitan areas. The book even had maps that showed where the guys were.

Is it that bad for single women in Australia, particularly in New South Wales, Queensland and Melbourne, areas where Peters operates her agency?

In February a Brisbane radio station ran a promotion, Running of the Brides, that pitted women in bridal dresses in a race after one man. The pre-Valentines Day stunt was a gas, but the event was put on after statistics that showed there were seven women to every one man in the city.

Peters, who also owns an event company, said she remains single despite running into great guys every time she organizes a tour.

“What we do is we take the city girls out to the country and throughout the day. The women get fully pampered, they get makeup, they go out to eat and the guys put on a massive show,” she said.

Peters said she’s been doing the tours for about six months now and has an “85% success rate.” She said her biggest outing consisted of 200 women heading to the dust roads and Outback bush in search of menfolk.

But don’t think the men aren’t screened, Peters said.

“I try to go out into the town and meet as many of the guys as I can beforehand,” she said, “because many of them are shy. They aren’t just farmers, either. They are plumbers, run-of-the-mill normal, ordinary men.”

The girls night out does come with a cost: Peters said she charges $350 for women and $50 for men.

Post by:
Filed under: Australia • World
  1. Miss Anthrope

For clarification, I laughed at the sheep joke.

May 28, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Cesar

U want to hear a joke. I ll tell you a joke. What did one wall say to the other wall.......I'll meet u at the corner.

May 28, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Joey

@ Hagen Legion:
    Thanks for the highjacks.
    Say, I've got an idea: why don't you see if they'll let you ride the bus out to the farms? Don't forget to take what you need.

May 28, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Cesar

They loved me in Chicago. They thought I was great. What's wrong with you people?

May 28, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jazzzzzzzz

funny insult to use on anyone who ticks you off:
    You are the answer to my prayer!! I prayed to find out if things could get worse!!

May 28, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jazzzzzzzz

k, I'm a women but this one was to good to pass up:
    God made a man and then rested. God made a woman and then no one rested

May 28, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. High Jack My Name

Red Neck Troll applications now being accepted, just ask for Ceasar, Joey, Bansy or butt-hole or just follow the retards.

May 28, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Joey

I like blackened gay muslim wieners the best because it feels good when they explode in my mouth.

May 28, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jazzzzzzzz

A man applies for a job as mechanic. The boss says, "Can you roll your hard hat down your arm and pop it back on your head?"

The mechanic nods, confused.

"Can you play lightsaber with your wrench and another man's screwdriver?"

"Oh yes," says the mechanic.

"Can you bounce your screwdriver off the cement, grab it, whirl it around and put it in your belt like a gun?"

"Sir, I've been doing that for years!" says the wanna-be mechanic.

"Well in that case, I can't use you. I have 12 men doing that already!" says the boss.

May 28, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jazzzzzzzz

A blonde got a dent in her car and took it in to the mechanic.

The mechanic, noticing that the woman was a blonde, decided to have some fun.

So he told her all she had to do was take it home and blow in the tailpipe until the dent popped itself out.

After 15 minutes of this, the blonde's blonde friend came over and asked what she was doing.

"I'm trying to pop out this dent, but it's not really working."

"Duh. You have to roll up the windows first!"

May 28, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jazzzzzzzz

Three mechanics were in the bathroom standing at the urinals. The first mechanic finishes and walks over to the sink to wash his hands. He then proceeds to dry his hands very carefully. He uses paper towel after paper towel and ensures that every single spot of water on his hands its dried. Turning to the other two, he says, "At Ford, we are trained to be extremely thorough."

The second mechanic finishes his task at the urinal and he proceeds to wash his hands. He uses a single paper towel and makes sure that he dries his hands using every available portion of the paper towel. He turns and says, "At Chevrolet, not only are we trained to be extremely thorough, but we are also trained to be extremely efficient."

The third mechanic finished and walks straight for the door, shouting over his shoulder: "At Jeep, we don't pee on our hands."

May 28, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  12. High Jack My Name

Yeah it's getting really old. Really really old old. Really really oldreally old old.

May 28, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |