Love, Down Under: Dating agency matches single women to farmers
"Brides" pursue a single male on a race track as part of a radio promotion in Brisbane, Australia.
May 28th, 2011

Love, Down Under: Dating agency matches single women to farmers

Pop singer Beyonce told single ladies to put their hands up, but maybe she should have directed them Down Under.

A dating agency is shuttling busloads of single women to rural areas in hopes that they’ll find lonely farmers, according to an article in the London Telegraph.

Contacted by CNN late Friday, Brie Peters said she got the idea for the single women tours from a chance encounter.

“I’m lucky enough to have some friends that live in the outback of Australia,” she said, “and we were at a pub one night and the pub owner said, ‘Brie, you’ll be interested in this, ‘I know a lot of single women that send me letters’ ” looking for rural men, she said.

Peters said she came up with a tour service, Thank Goodness He’s a Country Boy, that caters to women but also addresses a serious issue in Australia's urban areas: Evidently it's where the boys aren't.

In 2008 a book by author Bernard Salt stated Australia had nearly 100,000 more women than men in its metropolitan areas. The book even had maps that showed where the guys were.

Is it that bad for single women in Australia, particularly in New South Wales, Queensland and Melbourne, areas where Peters operates her agency?

In February a Brisbane radio station ran a promotion, Running of the Brides, that pitted women in bridal dresses in a race after one man. The pre-Valentines Day stunt was a gas, but the event was put on after statistics that showed there were seven women to every one man in the city.

Peters, who also owns an event company, said she remains single despite running into great guys every time she organizes a tour.

“What we do is we take the city girls out to the country and throughout the day. The women get fully pampered, they get makeup, they go out to eat and the guys put on a massive show,” she said.

Peters said she’s been doing the tours for about six months now and has an “85% success rate.” She said her biggest outing consisted of 200 women heading to the dust roads and Outback bush in search of menfolk.

But don’t think the men aren’t screened, Peters said.

“I try to go out into the town and meet as many of the guys as I can beforehand,” she said, “because many of them are shy. They aren’t just farmers, either. They are plumbers, run-of-the-mill normal, ordinary men.”

The girls night out does come with a cost: Peters said she charges $350 for women and $50 for men.

Post by:
Filed under: Australia • World
  1. Lisa

$350 for women and $50 for men. Hardly seems fair.

May 28, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  2. /uess who i am You stupid troll

Pr what, Cesar? You'll huff and puff and blow my house down?
    Eat me.

May 28, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Patty

Outrages how some adults can act hiding behind a screen.

May 28, 2011 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Cesar

The service makes sense since many farmers live out in the sticks and are too busy to find that special woman.

May 28, 2011 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Peggy Wiley

Many years ago, the mayor of a small Minnesota town, Herman, ( the town, not the mayor) decided to advertise for brides for the many weathy Norwegian bachelor farmers in the area. He got great responses (can't remember where he advertised) but many women came to town, met and married their farmers. Quite a few single mothers came, too, and although not all found a mate, many stayed and opened up their own businesses and enjoyed the security of small-town living for them and their children. All in all, it was a sucess.

May 28, 2011 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Tesie

This could be a hit in the United States. I am 33 years old and wouldn't mind meeting a decent farmer type man. My husband died in 2003. He was a great man. It's getting heart hard living alone.

May 28, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Joey

Cesar and I like to troll the gay bars for big black n!gger dix. If we can't find any, we settle for small furry animals.

May 28, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Cesar

I love Michael Jackson...the King of Pedophilia.

May 28, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jason

We have been farming wheat in Montana for three generations. Living away from the action really makes it hard to find my dream girl so to speak. Yes I am a bit old. At 44 never been married its not easy. I wish that service were offered in Montana.

May 28, 2011 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Imglad

Two guys are walking down the road when up ahead they see a dog licking himself. One guy sez to the other "gee I wish I could do that". And the other guy responds "you better pet him first he might bite ya".

May 28, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Gus

LOL

May 28, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Vince

This service to me is no different than on-line dating or mail order bride. My wife and I have been happily married for 14 years. I am not embarassed to say she is my Asian order bride. So sweet and polite. I'm 15 years older than her yet we are happy with four children. I don't know what I would do without her.

May 28, 2011 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Amanda

If it works for your wife good for her. No offense but I wouldn't marry a man 15 years older than me. I'm 26 and my boyfriend is 24. When we do get married we will have more in common. But as I said if it works for your wife good for her.

May 28, 2011 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio)

"All the good ones have already been taken."
    "If there's a person, that hasn't been taken.....there's a reason."
    So much for your little pimping and pandering just in.

May 28, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Cathy

I don't know why Jason just doesn't go on-line. Chat rooms, facebook, myspace, on-line dating. That's one way to meet people. That's how I met two guys I'm dating these days. There is no reason you can't meet people even if you live in Montana.

May 28, 2011 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |