World Health Organization: Cell phone use can increase possible cancer risk
May 31st, 2011

World Health Organization: Cell phone use can increase possible cancer risk

Radiation from cell phones can possibly cause cancer, according to the World Health Organization.

The agency now lists mobile phone use in the same "carcinogenic hazard" category as lead, engine exhaust and chloroform.

Before its announcement Tuesday, WHO had assured consumers that no adverse health effects had been established. A team of 31 scientists from 14 countries, including the United States, made the decision after reviewing peer-reviewed studies on cell phone safety. The team found enough evidence to categorize personal exposure as "possibly carcinogenic to humans."

That means right now, there haven't been enough long-term studies conducted to make a clear conclusion if radiation from cell phones are safe, but there is enough data showing a possible connection that consumers should be alerted.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Health
  1. Cesar

Studies have found that the harm in cell phone use is linked to cigarette smoking and other tobacco use, not to mention asbestos.

May 31, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Bob 2

where are you Ellis? Please use some heavy sh!t. Don't listen to people just go for it.

May 31, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jinx

Shut up, Bob, you dolt!

May 31, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  4. U-Turn

This just in.....
    Over use of any product can be harmful to one's health. I am not a doctor, or a scientist, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

May 31, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Cesar

@Cesar troll 1:44PM – Shut up stupid.

May 31, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Stan

I knew a guy with cancer, and he used a cell phone. Held it right up to his head every time he got a call. He's getting chemotherapy now, but I don't think it's working.

May 31, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • U-Turn

That guy should get new doctors. I hate to break it to you, but that large mass between his ears isn't a tumor....

May 31, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  7. fernace

OK I suppose "the voice of reason" must step in! I heard this same rhetoric in '96' about cell phones.These experts say they cant say anything for sure yet, because it takes decades to determine effects. Well, they've had 15 years, seems like there should be something conclusive in that amount of time! I remember when hotdogs & polyester suits were supposedly cancerous! Is that why those butt ugly suits disappeared? I also recall the stir about powerstations in the 80's & 90's. Gov't officials assured us that there were NO radiation or cancer risks! I think they may have egg on their faces now, if a tiny gadget poses danger! This news will obviously not stop cellphone use! But thanks for the advice!!

May 31, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  8. fernace

OK I suppose "the voice of reason" must step in! I heard this same alarm in '96' about cell phones.These experts say they cant say anything for sure yet, because it takes decades to determine effects. Well, they've had 15 years, seems like there should be something conclusive in that amount of time! I remember when hotdogs & polyester suits were supposedly cancerous! Is that why those butt ugly suits disappeared? I also recall the stir about power stations in the 80's & 90's. Government officials assured us that there were NO radiation or cancer risks! I think they may have egg on their faces now, if a tiny gadget poses danger! This news will obviously not stop cell phone use! But thanks for the advice!!

May 31, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Andreas Moser

One more reason not to answer the phone: http://andreasmoser.wordpress.com/2011/03/18/why-i-dont-answer-the-phone/

May 31, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  10. ellis

Stepping in front of a speeding train maY be hazardous also jayzus why even bring it up? oh yea americans are dumb and really freak over nonsense like this

May 31, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Rudy Haugeneder

This is worrisome.
    But the real story that hasn't yet been explored, or the details published if it is being studied, is that modern wizardry like microwave and cell phone vibrations are, worldwide, altering the planet's natural vibrationa­l pattern all biologic life on earth depends on.
    Take it for what you think it is worth, but the earth's vibrationa­l pattern is no longer what it was and continues to change at an astounding and, probably, extremely dangerous pace.

May 31, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  12. fernace

I dont know why my post is in duplicate! It is rather soul stirring, butcertain I'm the only one willing to read it twice! Pride in my work, ya know!! Sorry to bother y'all, carry on!!!

May 31, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  13. fernace

@ Rutger H. If human microwave & radiation outputfrom various man made objects is having adverse effect on the natural magnetic field, is it safe to say our air polutants can cause strange weather patterns?? What's your take?

May 31, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Bob 2

You are right fernace, air pollutants are main cause of weather and magnetic field changes. We won't feel this impact till its to late to fix.

May 31, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Stan

I'm so worried about strange weather patterns and the earth's altered vibration that I am going to start using two cell phones all the time and hope I die of cancer before the world ends!

May 31, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stan

You should be worried, dude. The bill for two cell phones in constant use is likely to be outrageous!

May 31, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |