Army sergeant to get Medal of Honor for Afghanistan heroics
Sgt. 1st Class Leroy Arthur Petry has served six tours of duty in Afghanistan and two in Iraq.
June 1st, 2011

Army sergeant to get Medal of Honor for Afghanistan heroics

An Army Ranger who lost his right hand while tossing an enemy grenade away from fellow soldiers in Afghanistan will be awarded the Medal of Honor, the U.S. Army announced this week.

Sgt. 1st Class Leroy Arthur Petry will be the second living recipient of the Medal of Honor from the Iraq and Afghan wars, according to the military. President Barack Obama will present the award to Petry on July 12.

"It's very humbling to know that the guys thought that much of me and my actions that day, to nominate me for that," Petry said, according to an Army News Service report.

Petry is being awarded the medal for actions on May 26, 2008, in Paktia, Afghanistan.

Already wounded by a bullet that went through both his legs, Petry picked up an enemy grenade that landed near him and two fellow Rangers and threw it back toward the enemy, according to the Army News Service report. The grenade detonated and amputated Petry's right hand. Petry applied a tourniquet to his wound and called for help.

"If not for Staff Sergeant Petry's actions, we would have been seriously wounded or killed," a fellow Ranger, Sgt. Daniel Higgins, wrote. Read the full Army News Service report on the battle.

Petry, now assigned to Fort Benning, Georgia, will be the ninth service member to be presented the Medal of Honor for actions in Afghanistan or Iraq. The other living recipient is Staff Sgt. Salvatore Giunta.

Petry, a father of four from Santa Fe, New Mexico, has served two tours of duty in Iraq and six in Afghanistan.

Post by:
Filed under: Afghanistan • Medal of Honor • Military • World
  1. SPC Allen Heredia

Dude, Your an IDIOT!!!!! Really!!!

June 1, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Defend those who serve

The Dude,
    You should be ashamed of your words. You are a disgrace to America for disrespecting the people who are the only reason why you can even be allowed to thinks such selfish thoughts. I want you to go up to the families of those who have lost someone overseas and say all your selfish thoughts to them.

June 1, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  3. The Dude

If our freedom is in jeopardy would you give your child life for these wars? Why can't you answer?

June 1, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  4. SPC Allen Heredia

What is it with Black America today? Everything is the race card.

June 1, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Kyle

I'll just keep it real. A conspiracy theorist such as yourself only acts as such because they do not believe that they can make a difference in their country through hard work and discipline. You are the equivalent of shouting "FIRE!!!" in a crowded room, and people will ignore you if you keep it up.

Do not disrespect the troops who help keep YOU safe so YOU have the right (unfortunately) to defame them.

June 1, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Tom

I LOVE THE DUDE! LONG LIVE THE DUDE! I LOVE THE DUDE! LONG LIVE THE DUDE!

June 1, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Justy

Yeap. However, by the time my child is able to enlist in the armed forces it will be up to him to make such decisions. As a parent I am concerned for his well being, but as an adult I need to respect his decisions as an equal adult. If he so chooses, then by all means, I support his decision. There is only so much I can say to change a grown man's mind once it has been made.

June 1, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  8. USMC_63-69

As a 100% disabled Vet I think I am qualified to state my opinion. Bravo to this man and all the others like him..BUT..we have NO business in Iraq or Afghanistan. I can't believe we didn't learn a thing in Viet Nam. Here we are playing the same game in two different places and the country is going along with it...mindless fools.

June 1, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Dude

Wisdom – If a Marine lives long enough he can get some.

I meet very few Vets from Nam or Korea who support these BS wars, just the young bucks who's heads are full of patriotic nonsense to make them willing to throw away their lives for nothing.

Thanks for your insight.

June 1, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  9. john

I dont think it was a good idea to throw you hand away. He should have picked it up and got it re attached

June 1, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Old BEar

Don't know a thing about explosive physics do you? Probably not enough of the hand left. Just glad the SGT is still with us.

June 1, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  10. JThomas2121

I guess 'The Dude' never asked any Iraqis or Afghanis who were oppressed whether they feel the sacrifice of US soldiers was worth it. Too bad people like 'The Dude' refuse to see life from anything other than their sheltered, rose-colored glasses.

Petry is a hero. And I forgive 'The Dude' his arrogance and naivety. For now.

June 1, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  11. halton

First you have no credability when you preach and dont have enough intelligence to use your own name.
    2nd cell phone convos...they use a computer to pick out certain phrases
    3rd obviously you dont have any views of your own only those given to you by all the bias news networks, im neither rwp. Or dem. But its plain to see lib's views are more damaging to our liberties ie universal health care spending money on people who dont deserve it. Spreading wealth @$$% you i earned my money get a job. I can do this all day.

But you have struck a nerve calling us rapist and murderers you have no idea of what is actually happening so STFU and crawl back into your moms basement.

Next time you want to bash someone atleast use your real name, only then will you have any credibility.

June 1, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Old BEar

My childern's lives are theirs and theirs alone to give to anything. It'll be their call. Not mine.

June 1, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  13. The Dude

Yes, but would you think themm giving their lives for Iraq or Afghanistan is worth it? Really?

June 1, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Polkovnik

@MIJohn, you got it exactly right. Thank you!
    I wonder if The Dude's philosophy would extend to enlisting as an unarmed combat medic, or perhaps unarmed chaplain's assistant, so he could extend his care and compassion to wounded Soldiers and Afghan civilians in extremity. - No, I didn't think so.

June 1, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Dude

I am not evil, so I will not be involved in this evil act.

June 1, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • ProperVillain

Something tells me that "the Dude" isn't involved in much of anything...

June 1, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • kormallain

As if the man haven't done anough allready, stop blaming soldiers for a war started by politicians you voted into office. Hell, it is for people like him, that you retain the right to post mindless rhetoric like that. Once again he is a soldier in the finest standard, you wanna blame somebody, there is a whole congress, senate full of politicians starting these conflicts. By the way I am a piece loving libertarien hippie, but that does not mean i dont give respect where it is due.

June 1, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • vet04

I think its funny, SFc's actions were heroic don't get me wrong, I look back at my time in iraq weren't my actins worthy too, I mean I took a IED at 3ft to my face and upper bodyafter i jumped in front of my gunner and team leader, and was left with no eyes,and slu of other problems, and what happend, we were told by the post commander not to walk around the community since I was a painful reminder of what could happen. And what did I get a big fat NOTHING, I guess actions of this nature are not worthy, Congrats to the SFC who's chain of commands cares

June 1, 2011 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Clewcrew

Hmmm. The Dud call's himself The Dude – poor sap.

June 1, 2011 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mister Jones

@vet04 – Thank you for your sacrifice sir. I know it may not comfort you in the dark of night, but I am confident that your team leader, his wife, his mother and his children are eternally grateful to you for your actions. Even if they failed to pin a medal on your chest for it, you know in your heart of hearts that you defended your oath and your countrymen. And there is no higher honor. You should walk tall the rest of your days. Best wishes to you.

June 1, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  15. The Dude

My name is Bill Lagnel and I live in Oklahoma City.

Come get some punk.

June 1, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • clarke

Well Bill or dude or who every you are, you are a disgrace and I believe a person of interest for the FBI, CIA and homeland security. You will finally make headline but not in a good way.

June 1, 2011 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • blackhawkip

No Bill, William, Will "Lagnel" in Oklahoma city. You must not yet be out on your own or have a phone in your own name. Not to worry, I'll keep putting on the uniform everyday as I've done for 27 years so you can keep your freedom of speech.

June 1, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |